Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Daiei --> Don Quijote

Originally posted by lilin View Post
    Thanks guys for clearing up the questions! I just learned that the English spell Don Quixote with a J and not X. It was also mentioned that the original manuscript uses a J as well. Did all the Holiday Marts have gas stations? Does anyone have photos?

Holiday gas was sold at Kaheka Street, Kailua, and Pearl City. The Daiei in Waipahu was originally a GEM, not Holiday Mart.

Comment

I have to say that I still refer to Daiei as Holiday Mart. Not too aure that Don Quijote will stick in my mind.
      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

The gas station at Holiday Mart was on the corner of the main parking lot on the main property adjacent to the store. The location where the newer Palama Market now sits was the Gas N Glo Car Wash operation.

One thing that is missing from Don Quijote is the Dollar Store section that was quite popular for Daiei Kaheka customers. I told one of the clerks that I missed the dollar store and she said a lot of people told her the same thing.

Here's a night shot of the Daiei front entrance I shot about 2 months ago.
        Last edited by mel; October 5, 2006, 07:54 PM. Reason: added photo
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

There was an actual television ad on KHON tonight noting that tomorrow is the grand opening of Don Quijote on Kaheka.

Comment

I still call those places Holiday Mart.
            Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            The new Don Quijote is the cover story in this week's MIDWEEK.

I think just like people still say "Go Bows!", some will still say, "I'm going to Daiei". Shoot, some folks probably still call it Holiday Mart.

Comment

Noticed on Tuesday night on the corner of Kaheka and Kanunu the sign says "Don Quijote".

Also tonight while the parking lot looks empty and the outside food vendors are closed the main sign does say "Don Quijote" too.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

Here's a night shot of the Daiei front entrance I shot about 2 months ago.
                wow. what kind of camera did you use to get that shot? without a flash, you got a very good shot. must be an awesome camera
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I have a Canon 300D Rebel SLR. Used the standard 18-55 mm wide angle lens that came with the camera. Handheld and shot at 800 ISO.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Don Quijote takes over (Star-Bulletin)
                    Ukulele master Jake Shimabukuro will perform at Friday's grand opening of Honolulu's flagship Don Quijote location on Kaheka Street.

The grocery/discount store formerly known as Daiei unveils its new sign and newly renovated interior at 9:15 a.m. Company chairman and CEO Takao Yasuda is flying from Tokyo to preside.

Entertainment begins at 8:30 a.m., featuring Hawaiian music by Baba Alimoot and Chris Kamaka, the Hawaii Lion Dance Association and Chris da Clown. Lani Moo will also be there to pose for photos.

Shimabukuro's concert will be at noon, followed by autograph signing.

Don Quijote, one of Japan's largest retail chains, has also taken over Daiei stores in Pearl City, Waipahu and Kailua.
                    Looks like Helen got a sneak peek at the new sign, though!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      I hope they bring in a better selection of electronics. Read: more upscale.
                      The DQ store I went to in Japan certainly had a massive electronics section, if that's any indicator; but as for upscale (in quality) - well...let's just say that they had a wide price range to choose from.

One thing that is missing from Don Quijote is the Dollar Store section that was quite popular for Daiei Kaheka customers. I told one of the clerks that I missed the dollar store and she said a lot of people told her the same thing.
                      That's a shame; I wonder if all the stores will make that change - I always spent as much time in that section (in the Kailua location) as I did the rest of the store. One time, they had installed check-out scanners that announced the prices out loud. The folks behind us in our line were cracking up at the dozens of times it said "one dollar...one dollar...one dollar..."

Comment

I have a Canon 300D Rebel SLR. Used the standard 18-55 mm wide angle lens that came with the camera. Handheld and shot at 800 ISO.
                        Very nice shot. Time for me to upgrade. My entry-level Canon A510 only goes as high as 400 ISO. I'm weighing between the new Canon G7 (Digic III!) or S3 IS. I need that image stabilizer. Too much coffee. lol

Anyway, here's that ear ad (sticker) on the front cover of today's paper...

They finally lost the Daiei logo on their print ad. Man, there are some deals in there! A 1 gig SD card for just $20 (no rebate)! The entire centerfold section is "buy one, get one free". The overall ad layout is similar to Daiei's, using the same font and product placements. Instead of the familiar green and floral pattern borders, its now what I'll say is "Don Pen Blue".

From what they briefly showed on the news, the new merchandising theme and signage in the Kaheka store looks, umm, fun! How can a store with a penguin mascot not be?

I'm really excited to go and see it myself. Perhaps on Sunday. Today will surely be a zoo.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Great shots! Makes me wish I had gone out and taken pictures mid-renovation, when they had the green and orange Daiei on the Kaheka side of the building and the red/black/yellow roof facing the parking lot (entrance). Anyhow, we are now debating how long Daiei was in business. The popular answer is 30 years, but we're not sure.

Thanks! HT is better than Wikipedia... love the anecdotal stuff and the shutterbugs who share. Oh and Pomai, at 9 am, it wasn't a zoo yet.

Comment

Here's the transition of their print ads...

The ad on the left was published in February. Notice no sign of Don Pen. The center ad was published this past Wednesday. Don Pen makes a cameo appearance near the Daiei logo, which he's been doing for the past few months. The ad on the right was published today. Notice the "Don Pen Blue".
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I've got a stash of the old blue plastic Daiei bags printed with black lettering left over from my last trip to Honolulu...perhaps I should save a few of them for the future so I can say I remember when this store was a Daiei Store.

Leo Lakio mentioned the dollar section of the Kailua Daiei. I've shopped in that section many times...I can't say I was ever really excited about what was offered in there, but it was neat to snoop around in. It was a good source of Japanese trinkets; I'd always bring something home as small gifts to the children I know over here on my visits to HI. It seemed that section was heavy on "Japanese housewife plastic wares"..so many items sold to be used in the maintainance of a homestead. And it was a good place to buy batteries and some decent mechnical pencils. There were occasional bargains to be had; I brought back some really neat jade-style jewelry last time there, and one of the many "Welcoming Cats" I have on display in my present home came from there.

All told, I suppose I'll miss dollar section at Don Quijote as well...at least Honolulu still has the Marukai Stores...those are fun to shop in.

Comment

Originally posted by lilin View Post
                                HT is better than Wikipedia... love the anecdotal stuff and the shutterbugs who share. Oh and Pomai, at 9 am, it wasn't a zoo yet.
                                Well, I was there at noon, 'round when Jake performed, and it was a zoo! Surrounding streets gridlocked, lots of horn honking, and hapless pedestrians lost in a swarm of cars, delivery trucks (the loading area was way oversubscribed), and off-duty cops. I was lucky to get a space in the main lot when I arrived, and when I left, a couple of older women were about to get into a fight over my space.

Anyway, I was posting photos of my grand opening visit on my moblog.

I watched Jake for a bit, then did a circuit around the store. There were banners, balloons, and colorful signs everywhere. (It was definitely a good month for a local sign vendor, I tell you what.) It was like Daiei, but with more stuff, packed in tight and high. I can see why shopping in Donki stores in Japan is compared to going on a treasure hunt. At least a hundred banners read simply, "Happy!" And Donpen the penguin was everywhere -- hanging from the ceiling, sitting on a massage chair, lurking in every aisle.

And those aisles were packed with people. The cashier lines were extending halfway into the merchandise area, even though they had all, what, twenty open.

It'd probably take a few visits to get a feel for the kinds of stuff you can get there. I'm pretty sure I saw a whole wall of potholders. There was groceries and produce as well as hot foods (plate lunch and bento), household knick-knacks, appliances, electronics... the TV with the cartoon to sell toilet drops was appropriately surreal.

I remember Daiei's first store at Pearlridge, and will remember it fondly, but things change, and a quirky, colorful place like Donki is sure better than another K-Mart.

Comment

Working...
                                X