Mayor Mufi: Pulse check, O'ahuans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mayor Mufi: Pulse check, O'ahuans

But if there is no investigation we will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by zatoichi
      But if there is no investigation we will never know.
      I must not be making myself clear.
      I never said there should not be an investigation. Quite the opposite. I strongly support an investigation into the sewage spill.
      What I did ask (repeatedly) is for anyone to state what other options there were to dumping into the Ala Wai. And I have yet to see an answer, here or in any of the media.
      Get it now? Sewage dumping BAD; investigation GOOD.

Repeating myself over and over, PRICELESS.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I am glad you are repeating yourself.

But you did not state that on this thread.

At no time on this thead did you state that there should be an investigation.

Comment

I was a little surprised that the Mayor did not have a line of those "honey wagons" lined up along the Ala Wai to truck some of the effluent away (typically they dump it down a man hole). Granted, such an action would be cosmetic or symbolic at best as you could probably only truck away only a small portion of the effluent running through the force main.

However sometimes symbolic gestures are valuable. It would have demonstrated to the public and regulatory agencies like the EPA that the City at least tried to minimize the release of untreated wastewater into the environment which could be valuable when fines are levied.

I will agree though that responsibility rests with the City Council and Mayor Harris for not paying attention to infrastructure, and doing stuff like raiding the sewer fund to pay for general city services. I would also say that we as citizens should have raised a stink (no pun intended) when the sewer fund was raided.

Comment

I am glad you are repeating yourself.
            But you did not state that on this thread.
            At no time on this thead did you state that there should be an investigation.
            Okay, you need to take a minute and look back through the messages, then look at what you just wrote.
            With all due respect... Once your reading comprehension skills kick in, we can continue.

Edit: Things become clearer. I noticed in this other thread where you admitted not following the thread very carefully. This appears to be a pattern. So noted.
            I humbly suggest that you will enjoy your participation more if you do follow along more carefully, and it will certainly make things better for all concerned.
            Last edited by LikaNui; June 21, 2006, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Okay, I will bite.

Where on this thread did you make that point regarding investigations?

Comment

Okay, I will bite.
                But I won't.
                Goodnight, and God bless.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                  The blame goes not on Mufi but on prior administrations who have let our infrastructure go to hell.
                  I would agree with Zatoichi on this point that Mufi is not off the hook. In summary, the Executive proposes policy and is responsible for execution of the budget. The Legislature controls the purse strings and therefore sets policy. As pointed out by Zatoichi, Mufi has had a moderately long career as a councilperson of the City and County of Honolulu, even holding the position of council chair. Therefore, Mufi cannot be blameless. He may want you to think this, but that IMO, is just shibai. Many politicians think that a major part of their job is to get re-elected. I am OK with this, as long as it is aligned with them doing their job. But this type of blame game, “make myself look good” I find tiresome. Worse still since on this issue, Mufi would in fact not look so “clean” if all the facts were laid out on the table.

Some may recall that the motto of staff when he was Director of the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism was, “Make Mufi Look Good”. At least he is consistent.
                  Last edited by Pretender; June 23, 2006, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender
                    As pointed out by Zatoichi, Mufi has had a moderately long career as a councilperson of the City and County of Honolulu, even holding the position of council chair. Therefore, Mufi cannot be blameless.
                    This cause and effect analogy is an oversimplification of what transpired during the Harris Administration. As far back as 1999 ...

Hannemann questions ‘Friends of City’ fund

Mufi was questioning the cloak and dagger accounting of Jeremy Harris and his special funds, which meant the council was often left guessing important things, like: how much money exists, how much money was/is going to be spent, and where the money is going. Three words for you: ‘Ewa Villages Scandal. This was nothing more than a “creative accounting” project that failed to account for what was really going on behind the scenes. Likewise, many on the council realized too late (and raised a ruckus upon discovery, I might add) that Harris was diverting money from the sewer fund and had all kinds of “creative excuses” to justify it.

Now we pay the price of that mistake. Sure, blame it on Mufi. He’s an easy target.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                      This cause and effect analogy is an oversimplification of what transpired during the Harris Administration. As far back as 1999 ...

Hannemann questions ‘Friends of City’ fund

Mufi was questioning the cloak and dagger accounting of Jeremy Harris and his special funds, which meant the council was often left guessing important things, like: how much money exists, how much money was/is going to be spent, and where the money is going. Three words for you: ‘Ewa Villages Scandal. This was nothing more than a “creative accounting” project that failed to account for what was really going on behind the scenes. Likewise, many on the council realized too late (and raised a ruckus upon discovery, I might add) that Harris was diverting money from the sewer fund and had all kinds of “creative excuses” to justify it.

Now we pay the price of that mistake. Sure, blame it on Mufi. He’s an easy target.

I suppose it just comes down to the expectations we have of our elected officials. I am no proponent of Harris, but the Mayor can propose we purchase the Moon, but it takes a willing council to get the funds appropriated. It’s the old checks and balances thing. So was Mufi doing his job or not? There is also the contention that the council may have been duped into an undesirable situation. I don’t disagree with that, but as the old saying goes, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. I do not want my councilmember to be a victim.
                      Last edited by Pretender; June 27, 2006, 11:40 PM.

Comment

K-den I put dis hea!

In The Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0359/1008/NEWS

Mayor fires back at governor

By Will Hoover

"Two days after Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann vowed to fight the EPA over charges that Honolulu's wastewater treatment isn't up to snuff, he lashed out at Gov. Linda Lingle for agreeing with the EPA assessment and then criticizing the city for discharging untreated sewage in the ocean — a statement Hannemann said only "showed her ignorance of the issue."

Hala! Dem is fighting WORDS!

Place your bets folks. I take Linda...jess...10/8...or sumting lil dat!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

aUNTIE PuPule
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          K-den I put dis hea!

In The Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0359/1008/NEWS

Mayor fires back at governor

By Will Hoover

"Two days after Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann vowed to fight the EPA over charges that Honolulu's wastewater treatment isn't up to snuff, he lashed out at Gov. Linda Lingle for agreeing with the EPA assessment and then criticizing the city for discharging untreated sewage in the ocean — a statement Hannemann said only "showed her ignorance of the issue."

Hala! Dem is fighting WORDS!

Place your bets folks. I take Linda...jess...10/8...or sumting lil dat!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

aUNTIE PuPule

Even with jess, who would take Mufi? Not I!

Comment

Working...
                          X