Spam Varieties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam Varieties

first... i would like to apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes...i am the worst at it... and i LOVE this board!

i could really use some help with this. i have been eyeing the different varieties of Spam and i want to try them but can anyone give me some input on what they taste like? i am very interested in the garlic and the hickory smoke...and also the bacon. can anyone tell me what the difference in taste is between the bacon and the hickory smoke?
    mahalo

Re: Spam Varieties

Aloha! I keep reading your post and forgive for laughing but I dunno wat your trying to ask....Hickory Smoked Spam tastes similiar to Hickory Smoked Ham. Add that to Bacon Flavor. Wat's so hard about dat?

Auntie Alyn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

yes it sounds logical but i guess what i am asking is if it really does taste like bacon or smoked ham. becuase i read somewhere from another board that the hickory smoked spam tasted like bacon and there was very little difference between that and the bacon spam.

So... i thought i would ask what the board thought. have you had the hickory smoked spam? or the bacon spam? if so do they really taste like smoked ham or bacon?
      thats what i want to know.
      eventually i will try them both but i would love to know what people think.
      glad you had a good laugh.
      but not all things taste like what they are suppose to taste like.

Comment

OnoLoa, Today is Sunday. I have nuttin better else to do except cleaning my Hale and doing whateva's. Spam is Spam. Period.

As a local Wahine growing up, eating onolicious Spam every which way possible, I know about SPAM! As to your questions. They enhance the flavors of Hickory and Bacon so the Spam tastes like they say it does. To give them the benefit of the doubt - I will hele over to my local grocery store and buy one can of each because now I am inquisitive as to how they do taste on this beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Plus, I neva have lunch yet. I going cook my rice now.

Auntie Alyn
        Last edited by 1stwahine; April 23, 2006, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Hello? Just as I suspected. It is enhanced with flavoring. I fried a slice of each and tasted. I also ate a piece of white bread in between and drank a glass of water with lemon.

My guess is it will soon be in the boxes to be given away at many of the Food Distribution Outlets.

I still prefer Plain Spam with Low Sodium.

I dunno why when there is a product that is already good and well known for it's taste...dey like ruin it! For instance, Coke-a-Cola. Nuttin beats the original.

Auntie Alyn

BTW: I still neva eat lunch!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            [...]BTW: I still neva eat lunch!
            Guess what, Auntie? You did! You had an inside-out sandwich...a piece of bread between 2 pieces of Spam...and a glass of water with lemon! There, are ya feeling less hungry now?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              Guess what, Auntie? You did! You had an inside-out sandwich...a piece of bread between 2 pieces of Spam...and a glass of water with lemon! There, are ya feeling less hungry now?
              Oh, yeah! I still gotta eat - I'm a growing girl.

Auntie Alyn

Comment

Aloha Auntie!
                thanks for the taste test.... i will have to do it myself. i grew up eating spam too and there was only one kind back then.... thats why i was curious about the others. i love to eat and i am always curious about flavours. spam is unfortunately a big part of my diet... too big. i am trying to cut down....between that and rice i dont stand a chance to lose any weight.... still i am drawn to it. oh well.

if anyone else has any spam comments on the varieties please lets hear from you. mahalo

Comment

There are times when I eat the Turkey Spam and that seems to be okay. And I tend to go for the 25% Less Sodium version.

Comment

OnoLoa, It was my pleasure! You made a boring Sunday turn into a very interesting and educational one foa me.

Cut down on your intake of Spam. Buy the Less Sodium Spam.

Auntie Alyn

BTW: Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; April 23, 2006, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Wait, there's even more spam for people to hate? (which I never understand)
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                        Spam is Spam. Period.
                        Nah... the Tabasco one is waaaay more spicy than the regular one.

As for the bacon and hickory smoked, they do taste similar. Personally, I like the hickory better than the bacon, but I still prefer the regular Spam overall.

And forget that less sodium baloney. If you're eating Spam, you're already eating unhealthy. RUSH 'EM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          And forget that less sodium baloney. If you're eating Spam, you're already eating unhealthy. RUSH 'EM.
                          Hear hear. "Lite" Spam? What's the point of that? If you're gonna go early, might as well go happy.

Anyway, the varieties of Spam are fascinating to me. And we've had dozens of threads here at HawaiiThreads.com about everyone's favorite mystery meat. How much folks in Hawaii consume, how much folks in Guam consume, why some people won't consume Spam, the "Spam Jam" in Waikiki, Spam musubi, Spam recipes, even Spam vs. Treet vs. Tulip (and I rather liked Tulip). I'm not sure if we've really run down all the varieties of Spam that Hormel makes, though. I have to admit, I haven't tried any -- I'm an "original recipe" kind of guy, I guess.

Okay. Well, according to Hormel's Spam knowledge base: "There are six permanent varieties of SPAM: SPAM Classic, SPAM lite, SPAM less sodium, SPAM hot & spicy, SPAM smoke flavored and SPAM oven roasted turkey. In addition, there are two seasonal flavors--SPAM with cheese and SPAM bbq flavored. Also, SPAM garlic flavored is distributed outside the U.S."

Spam with cheese? Golly.
                          Last edited by pzarquon; April 23, 2006, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                            There are times when I eat the Turkey Spam and that seems to be okay. And I tend to go for the 25% Less Sodium version.

Is the Turkey Spam readily available at the major supermarkets here? I've never given Spam a second thought because I didn't realize there were non-pork varieties...wish they had a Tabasco Turkey one...

Comment

Hey Auntie! YOU RIGHT!
                              I need to cut down....after i do my taste test i will. its hard to resist for me but i'll have to manage it somehow.... theres just something about that rice with spam together mmmmmm... i am cravin it now.
                              mahalo for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X