Wave Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wave Waikiki

so goes another part of almost the last remaining low level part of Honolulu - Waikiki. the block Wave Waikiki is on, will soon have still aNOTHer 35 story condo. To be named: Pua'ena
    which means to shine brightly.... which is ironic. These towers blot out the sun, blue sky and all visual beauty of Hawaii.
    Was just reading a Honolulu magazine of 1978 and there was mention of an article which reiterates "We cannot anymore allow development that destroys the things that make Hawaii what it is.
    Of course, if we delve back into past issues of that magazine's predecessor; paradise of the pacific, warnings were vocalised then too. Many expressing their chagrin that Hawaii is becoming overdeveloped. So when do we call a halt to this unbridled overpaving overdevelopment and packing in too many people in such a fragile finite land mass? only to allow and accept more and more frequent excuses from polititians when the ever increasing sewage overflows, destroying our quality of life and the life of the sea and the life of the land which is no longer perpetuated in righteousness...

Re: the wave Waikiki

It is a bit sad that Wave is shutting down... losing another venue for live music (although cover bands were becoming the preferred groups there...).

I agree that development is getting out of hand here... I'm still wondering who all these people are that can afford to live in these enormous glassine fishtanks in the sky...

Comment

Do you have a Wave Waikiki Story?

I'm sad that the wave will finally be shutting down...I've been going there for the last 7 years and had countless of good times there. Where will I go now at 2:30am.

Do you have a wave story?
      'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

Re: Do you have a Wave Waikiki Story?

Originally posted by bitachu
        Do you have a wave story?
        I sure do! But I choose to protect the innocent!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          so goes another part of almost the last remaining low level part of Honolulu - Waikiki. the block Wave Waikiki is on, will soon have still aNOTHer 35 story condo. To be named: Pua'ena
          which means to shine brightly.... which is ironic. These towers blot out the sun, blue sky and all visual beauty of Hawaii.
          Was just reading a Honolulu magazine of 1978 and there was mention of an article which reiterates "We cannot anymore allow development that destroys the things that make Hawaii what it is.
          Of course, if we delve back into past issues of that magazine's predecessor; paradise of the pacific, warnings were vocalised then too. Many expressing their chagrin that Hawaii is becoming overdeveloped. So when do we call a halt to this unbridled overpaving overdevelopment and packing in too many people in such a fragile finite land mass? only to allow and accept more and more frequent excuses from polititians when the ever increasing sewage overflows, destroying our quality of life and the life of the sea and the life of the land which is no longer perpetuated in righteousness...
          I guess that "Big Yellow Taxi" song is still ringing true today......R.I.P. Wave Waikiki
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

I'm sure my daughter has some stories from the mid-80s. And I betcha anything she won't share 'em with me!

Comment

Back in '78 - '79 I was sneaking in there. Even though the drinking/bar age was only eighteen, I didn't reach that ripe old age till Feb. '80. It was easier times back then and I didn't even have a fake ID. I was a regular so it wasn't even suspected till I announced my legality on my Birthday and showed proof. Quite Funny!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bitachu
                Where will I go now at 2:30am.
                If you still have your dancing shoes on, you could make last call at Zanzabar, which opens until 4am.

Otherwise, just call it a night at Egg's N' Things or Wailana Coffee Shop.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ouch. $40-60K/month lease on a new Wave location? I understand Mr. Law's apprehension to continue the business.

There's two obvious and very expensive criteria needed to preserve The Wave:
                  1.) It has to be located in Waikiki - "The Wave Kaimuki" (for example) just ruins the nostalgia.. among other business-related factors.
                  2.) It needs ample space, sound (high decibel levels) and lighting for live performances and concerts - the core of what built The Wave's legacy.

Hopefully an investor will step up and help make that happen.

Here's a rendering of the proposed Pua`ena condo project.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I used to go there in the 80's when Sonya Mendes and the Revolucion was the band then Hat Makes the Man took over when Sonya and her group disbanded . Damm I was in love with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                      If you still have your dancing shoes on, you could make last call at Zanzabar, which opens until 4am.

Otherwise, just call it a night at Egg's N' Things or Wailana Coffee Shop.
                      Yeah i guess I could always go to another bar...but i guess I've been going to the wave so long..its going to suck..plus the wave was soo close to my house...plus there aren't many places that do late night live music anymore...
                      'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        To be named: Pua'ena
                        I no get it also.

Whatever happened to building away from the beaches? Just watch: when get a tsunami, everyone will complain that their hotel rooms/business etc get destroyed when people who lives inland will be protected.

And how you figah that we can still build on this island?
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Re: Wave Waikiki

Ah, Wave stories. There are many.

There was a Stupid Human Tricks contest at the Wave. Assorted freaks showed up to show their... uh, assorted freakishness. The girl who jumped rope using her arms (you had to see it to believe it) and of course, Gus who hung a metal pail containing 7 full bottles of beer from the piercing at the top of his, uh... "Little Gus."

But the highlight, for me, was the lady who went up on stage, pulled down her top and began squirting her milk into the crowd. And onto me. And into my coffee. How could I not drink it? I had to. They don't offer this at Starbucks.

Aloha, Wave Waikiki. You will be missed. Mahalo to Jack Law and staff for making the Wave the legend it is.

Comment

ummm Paul you sure dat wasn't Stop Light bar Yeah the Wave Waikiki. I remember the flack they got when they painted that nice mural of a wave and the Outdoor Circle made them cover it up saying it was a billboard.

I was too clean cut for The Wave Waikiki but ventured in it one night and was shocked to see the bare cement floors and urban ghetto atmosphere at the time. I mean I was a regular at upscale places like The Point After and such. Eh but like Anna Banana's in McCullly, The Wave Waikiki had a cult following.

There was/is a store that was right next to The Wave and it was for those into the punk and goth look. One Manniquin was hoisted up so you could see under "her" skirt without bending low. Right there written on that dummy's panty crotch were the words, "Pervert". Yeah funny how you remember those kinds of things from many decades ago.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata
                              There was a Stupid Human Tricks contest at the Wave.

But the highlight, for me, was the lady who went up on stage, pulled down her top and began squirting her milk into the crowd. And onto me. And into my coffee. How could I not drink it? I had to. They don't offer this at Starbucks.
                              Paul, that is by far the FUNNIEST post I've ever read on HT. ROTFL!!!! Even funnier because you claim it REALLY happened. Really? That's nuts! Or.. never mind.

So did your coffee taste better with "cream" in it?

I hope you include that story in your stand-up routine.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X