Wave Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wave Waikiki

Here's the Star-Bulletin's online extra photo gallery, and the main article.

Comment

I'm not that sad over the loss of the Wave Waikiki. After seeing a lot of my hangouts going south you just shrug your shoulder after a while. Anyone remember Kojaks? Where Kalapana played at? How about Infinity where Hawaii's disco era basically took off? Then there was The Point After, and a host of now defunct nightclubs that were the hottest places to go to.

What made The Wave Waikiki different was it's cult following. When I was in my 20's it was a hang out for the punk rockers as goth and grunge was only hitting the scene. Before the Wave it was Anna Banana's in McCully where the college culture was apparent there. Now it's only Anna Banana's, the first and original cult following club to stay true to form.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I never went to the Wave. My kids did, tho'...which is probably why I never went to the Wave!

I still miss Trappers...and the Maile Lounge even more! That's where I usta dance with PZ's dad and his 'uncle' Toy! Those evenings are part of my long term memory, fortunately! Oops...off topic...sorry!

Comment

I hung out there a lot. And played onstage there, too. I'm bummed. I can't think of anywhere in the area where you can just walk in no matter what clothes you're wearing, etc... nobody really judged anyone in there.

The loss of a venue that size is also sad... Pipeline is way bigger, doesn't really support the kinds of bands that played at Wave... Thank god for Anna's... I suspect the music is gonna really pick up there. Detox is good, but I kinda think its days are numbered as well, what with two new condos going up right there... I can't see the rich people loving all the rockers roaming the streets at all hours, much less the music pumping out of there at 12:30 in the morning... Anyway, parking there is a nightmare...

Oh well...

Comment

I only went to the wave when I was drunk. Don't remember too much. More of a Disco bunny.....da La Mancha Daze.....

Comment

Hopefully the owners will continue to maintain The Wave's website, as there's a wealth of archived photos of past events they've accumulated over the years. They'll just need to make a slight change to the navigation and content to resemble the site as more a "shrine of the past" instead of an operational business.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My MeetinHonolulu gang went to check it out...it was fun..we had a bunch of photos of night.

NEWS

p.s...when I first made a thread "Do you have a wave story" I would have liked it to keep its own thread ...(it was combined into a previous thread about the waikiki expansion regarding the wave)....cuz I personally don't care about what will be at the wave..mainly that I will miss it
                'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
                  I only went to the wave when I was drunk. Don't remember too much. More of a Disco bunny.....da La Mancha Daze.....
                  OMG!!! Those were some torturous years! Still got the cassette tape mixdown music. I think we invented the mobile sub box eh Speedtek in your VW Bus! Oh and the Airbrakes in your yellow bug!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

here is vertical charles.
                    their last song.
                    of their last gig.
                    before breaking up.
                    in the last few weeks of the wave.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kz2sbSo_9oc

r.i.p. vc

r.i.p. wavewaikiki

Comment

Working...