Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iTunes

More questions.

Anyone streaming iTunes in their house with an Air Port Express?
    http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Thanks in advance!

Wow I just read this after I posted originally.
    http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1703
    Last edited by jkpescador; April 26, 2006, 12:11 PM.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: iTunes

No, but I stream music from Shoutcast.com from my Linksys Wifi-G router to my notebook PC using Winamp. Works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      No, but I stream music from Shoutcast.com from my Linksys Wifi-G router to my notebook PC using Winamp. Works just fine.
      What is streaming the music to your notebook?
      Shoutcast.com or Winamp?
      Is Winamp playing the music on your notebook?
      Sorry I need a picture.
      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Winamp, shoutcast, it's all Greek to me!!! But since this is an iTunes thread I thought I'd mention a recent iTunes problem.

Last week I tried to update my iPod. Couldn't. Something about the disk couldn't be read or written to. It would get a few tunes into the update and stall. The previous update was no problem. I reinstalled iTunes. No difference.

Yesterday I visited the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. I didn't know whether I had a dead iPod, an iTunes problem or a computer problem. Turned out that at some point between the 2 updates 77 of my 981 songs had become corrupted. My Apple Genius determined the first 2 corrupted tunes then sent me home, advising patience, to search for more. The corrupted tunes didn't discriminate between ITMS downloads or imports from CDs.

Fortunately I have 4 music folder back-ups from the past few months. All of the songs are fine in the most recent back-up and I am beginning the lengthy task of one by one deleting then dragging and dropping the back-ups into iTunes, re-rating them then dropping them into their appropriate playlists. I'm sure there's an easier way to do this chore with 3rd party software but the software I found was for Windows only.

The moral of this story is to remember to back-up your iTunes music folder! I have no idea what corrupted those 77 tunes since the previous update so I have no idea how to prevent it from happening again. But...I didn't lose any tunes...just time!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          Winamp, shoutcast, it's all Greek to me!!! But since this is an iTunes thread I thought I'd mention a recent iTunes problem.

Last week I tried to update my iPod. Couldn't. Something about the disk couldn't be read or written to. It would get a few tunes into the update and stall. The previous update was no problem. I reinstalled iTunes. No difference.

Yesterday I visited the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. I didn't know whether I had a dead iPod, an iTunes problem or a computer problem. Turned out that at some point between the 2 updates 77 of my 981 songs had become corrupted. My Apple Genius determined the first 2 corrupted tunes then sent me home, advising patience, to search for more. The corrupted tunes didn't discriminate between ITMS downloads or imports from CDs.

Fortunately I have 4 music folder back-ups from the past few months. All of the songs are fine in the most recent back-up and I am beginning the lengthy task of one by one deleting then dragging and dropping the back-ups into iTunes, re-rating them then dropping them into their appropriate playlists. I'm sure there's an easier way to do this chore with 3rd party software but the software I found was for Windows only.

The moral of this story is to remember to back-up your iTunes music folder! I have no idea what corrupted those 77 tunes since the previous update so I have no idea how to prevent it from happening again. But...I didn't lose any tunes...just time!
          A slow processor and attemptiong to do other things (such as browse web sites)at the same time when your dumping the files from your computer to your Ipod can often cause hiccups in your songs on your IPod.

I don't know if this is your problem... but I know some people that like to keep three/four windows open at a time... however when they play their Pods... most the songs seem to have skips... I ask them... were you browsing other websites as you were downloading them... most the times... Yes....

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            A slow processor and attemptiong to do other things (such as browse web sites)at the same time when your dumping the files from your computer to your Ipod can often cause hiccups in your songs on your IPod.[...]
            Nope...for whatever reason, multi-tasking while updating the iPod doesn't make sense to me! The Apple Genius said that the tunes are files just like other files on the computer. As such they are subject to corruption. Another case for back-up, back-up, back-up I guess!!!

Comment

*bump*

I just opened my iTunes app and found something rather strange...on the left sidebar under "Shared" is "Shauna Crawford's Library". It wasn't there the last time I opened iTunes about 3 days ago. When I double click on a tune it acts like a radio station..."connecting", "rebuffering stream".

And, who da h3!! is Shauna Crawford? Is she, possibly getting a free ride on my DSL connection and she, too, has her iTunes app open?

Hmmm...WTF?????

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                And, who da h3!! is Shauna Crawford? Is she, possibly getting a free ride on my DSL connection and she, too, has her iTunes app open?
                That could be it. Generally iTunes users on the same network will appear in each others' systems as shared libraries. Before concluding that Ms. Crawford is using your DSL connection, though, I'd look at Bonjour as another possible conduit. I'm not sure if Bonjour requires connected systems to be on the same network, for example... Apple could just be helpfully connecting you to someone within physical proximity via other means.

Still, if your DSL connection isn't locked down with a password, this is a good time to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  [...]
                  Still, if your DSL connection isn't locked down with a password, this is a good time to do so.
                  I don't know how to do this. At one point I hired someone to do it for me ($60. ). Then something happened to the modem and I had to reset it to get it working again. That erased the password protection. I called HawTel to walk me thru the process but I was just too untechie to understand what they were telling me!

Comment

The modem (for me) is the easy part. (I did a friend's) But IIRC, you have a Apple computer. Apples and I don't get along.

Comment

The hardiest part to setting up the modem may be getting into it (if you don't know how).

Try this link: http://192.168.1.1

It may prompt you for a password. Since you reset it, it will be the default password (whatever that is).

If you have what I think you have, the default login will be "Admin", the password is "password". Everything from there is a menu.

Comment

Are you using wireless internet?
                        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          The hardiest part to setting up the modem may be getting into it (if you don't know how).

Try this link: http://192.168.1.1

It may prompt you for a password. Since you reset it, it will be the default password (whatever that is).

If you have what I think you have, the default login will be "Admin", the password is "password". Everything from there is a menu.
                          Thanks GG. I'll give that a try today. And yes...a Mac!
                          Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                          Are you using wireless internet?
                          Yes...a Westel 327W.

Comment

Since you are using wireless internet that does not appear to be password protected and you live in close proximity to others you probably have other people that are using your internet connection. Of more importance, people with access to your wireless network could have been "sniffing" or capturing your internet traffic and recording your usernames and passwords. I would advise you to set up security on your modem, here's a link on how to do this - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4153303AAtdxWv Make sure to record your username and passwords that you input.
                            Once you've done that I would change the passwords to all of your online accounts.
                            This may sound like an overreaction but I once had my email account hacked because I logged in on an open wireless network. The ONE time I ever used someone's open wireless network I was testing my wife's wireless card in her laptop (we don't use wireless) and logged into my email. About 8 hours later my email account was used to send spam to all of my contacts with a link to a malicious site with a trojan. Unlikely as it may sound that someone would steal your passwords, it could happen pretty easily.
                            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Thanks for the warning, STG. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X