iTunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iTunes

Yes, you definitely want to have password protection for your network and encryption (at least WPA2).

If Shauna's library is still popping up in iTunes after your borders are secured, try going to iTunes>Preferences>Sharing and make sure to uncheck "Look for shared libraries" and "Share my library on my local network."
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
      Yes, you definitely want to have password protection for your network and encryption (at least WPA2).
      <sigh> It's me, MPB, the untechie tutu!
      If Shauna's library is still popping up in iTunes after your borders are secured, try going to iTunes>Preferences>Sharing and make sure to uncheck "Look for shared libraries" and "Share my library on my local network."
      I poked around iTunes last night and found "Look for shared libraries" checked and "Share my library..." unchecked. I didn't change that 'cuz, to my untechie way of thinking, I could at least see who was getting a free ride on my network while, possibly, she couldn't see me! How far off base is my thinking?! Be nice!

Ok...here I go. I'm about to embark on the password set-up journey. I'm already starting to sweat! Attempting this kinda techie stuff is right up there with root canals!

Comment

The journey is complete...but not without help. Even with GG's and STG's help I had to call HawaiianTel tech support. At least I got to familiarize myself with Westel's site before I called TS. That turned out to be very helpful. GG, your were correct with the default login 'cept it's all lower case and the site is case sensitive! Since I have an older laptop (Powerbook) I had to go with WEP. Good grief, it sounds like I know what I'm talking about! I don't! Now to change my online passwords.

Thanks to all of you for your help. <smooch!>

ETA: Oh dear God! In order to change my online financial accounts' passwords I'll have to see the ongoing-market-crash account balances. Ignorance=bliss up to this point! I think I'll need to delve into that after a glass of wine tonight.
        Last edited by tutusue; March 30, 2009, 03:58 PM.

Comment

*bump*

This is music store related so I hope this is the right thread. Ok, iTunes 9 on my Mac Powerbook...

The shopping cart has changed to a wish list. I see all my desired tunes in the wish list but I don't see a 'buy' button. The drop down menu next to each tune's price doesn't have a 'buy' option. Am I supposed to 'gift this song' myself? I've checked the Help section and online. All I can find is somthing about dragging and dropping desired tune previews into playlists for future purchase.

How the heck do I buy a tune from my Wish List? I have a gift card burning a hole on my computer!

Comment

Looking at my Wish List, there's a "Buy All" button in the top right, and to buy individual items in the Wish List, I presume I just click the price itself (not the drop-down menu, which offers other options). Looking at it now, it seems a bad UI decision to not have an explicit "Buy" button... it's not intuitive that clicking the price is the "Buy" action.

Last edited by pzarquon; January 10, 2010, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks, PZ. I figured it out about 20 minutes ago and you're absolutely right on all accounts! It was dumb to do away with the Buy button.

Comment

With album sales on a decline, the music industry recently pushed Apple and other digital retailers to push full length albums vs. that of single tracks, which I think are still more popular individually over an entire (and more costly) album.

If you look at the iTunes Store and Amazon.com's digital offerings a lot of the ads seem to emphasize albums vs. that of singles.

Hence the inconvenience of having to scroll all the way to the right side of the track listing to buy only that one digital track off an album (in iTunes case).

But as you have found, you can still buy only a few tracks (if you like) at a time off an individual album. That is the beauty of buying online music... you only choose the songs you want.

This past year I bought a lot of single tracks from either iTunes or Amazon (depending who had the best price since the industry went to a tiered pricing system for single track purchases).

However I draw the line at about 1 to 3 songs per 10 song album. If you plan to buy several off the album, it ends up being cheaper buying the entire album, especially if you can find a discount CD of that album either online or at a physical store.

Currently Sam Goody's at Ala Moana Center are selling all single CD popular albums (except for Hawaiian music which still sell for $13 or higher [why is that?]) that are not deluxe packaging for $9.99 each. With a CD you get the entire album with the booklet, jewel case, and physical media. You can always rip the CD to iTunes for use in digital devices such as your computer or iPod.

And some places around town do have a few new albums on the CD format selling for less.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                X