Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good eats - oahu and maui

hello everyone,

i haven't used the search function as i like to see replies to threads that i have created... best if the replies are positive - lol.

i'll search if i have to.

here we go:

where are good places to eat on both oahu and maui?

quality, quantity and price - as there will be 9 of us - doh!!!

let me hear about your favorite places.

my family has visited both oahu and maui but did the tourist thing... on this trip we'd like to do more local dives.

thanks,

joel

Re: good eats - oahu and maui

It truely depends on what you and your group like to eat.

If you are in the mood for Korean style BBQ Chicken then either Mahalo Drive Inn on Young Street (on Oahu) or the L&L Drive Inn (got a bunch of them on Oahu) should be okay. Of course they offer other types of plate lunches as well. Mahalo's prices tend to be around the $5 to $7 for the regular sized plate lunches. L&L Drive Inn prices varies from place to place.

Comment

There's always Ono Hawaiian Food on Kapahulu Ave. about a mile or so mauka of Waikiki Beach.

I've been to Little Village Noodle House once and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

These places have been recommended before, but since a new person here is asking...

On Maui:

Not really a "local dive", but for the best Fish N' Chips in Hawaii, be sure to stop by Alexander's Fish 'N Chips on South Kihei Rd., on the beachside drive towards Wailea. For just $8 you get a huge pile of medium-cut fries topped with 3 strips of fresh Ahi, Mahi or Ono coated in their special seasoned tempura-based batter. Melts in the mouth! Even their tartar and cocktail sauce are house made - the latter having lots of horseradish for the extra kick. Seating is outside on patio tables, where you can take in the ocean just across the street. Really ono!

In Kahului, don't forget to try Tasaka's Guri-Guri in Maui Mall. Guri-Guri (pronounced 'Good'ee-'Good'ee) is a local spin on a japanese sherbert with a unique texture and creamy flavor not found anywhere else. The closely-kept family secret recipe still offers primarily only two flavors: Strawberry or Pineapple, with an option of sweet Azuki beans if you feel adventurous. Really really ono!

On Oahu:

For true-as-it-gets Hawaiian Food, I second Tutusue's recommendation of Ono Hawaiian Food.

At Ward Entertainment Center, just in front of the Theatre, check out Big City Diner, where they take typical American diner food and twist it with local flavors. The prices, portions and ambiance is very family friendly.

If you want to mingle with the local working class in - yes - a "dive", check out Pauhana hour (finished work) at Side Street Inn. This hidden gem is tucked in a backstreet near Ala Moana Center, offering a huge menu of Pupu items (finger food) that are absolutely ono.. especially when accompanied with your favorite libation.

There's two comprehensive websites dedicated to eating & dining in Hawaii worth visiting:
        www.AnyTimeGrinds.com
        www.HawaiiDiner.com
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There's two comprehensive websites dedicated to eating & dining in Hawaii worth visiting:
          www.AnyTimeGrinds.com
          www.HawaiiDiner.com
          I would like to add my SB/Midweek colleague Jo McGarry's Web site (and podcast) at:

www.wineanddinehawaii.com

Had the opportunity to dine with Jo and Bobby at Side Street and they treated her like a rock star. (It's not like Side Street NEEDS the favorable press -- they always get it, because it's really good.)
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Gotta throw in a plug for Reid's Ono Kine Grindz which covers more hole-in-the-wall places than anyone. He hasn't been blogging much lately but search his archives for all kinds of good info.

My choice for Hawaiian food is Helena's up on School Street or Highway Inn out in Waipahu. Traditional Hawaiian food is not inexpensive though so be prepared. Nico's at Pier 38 is one of the best and most inexpensive places to feed a crowd for breakfast or lunch. The location is interesting as well being right on the docks. Wally Ho's Garage & Grill in Aiea is a great place for local-style food on a budget. Two other good places for a crowd are Shokudo and Jimmy's Lakeside Bakery Cafe - something for everyone.

Eat well and enjoy your visit!

Comment

Forgot to mention on Maui:

For breakfast, Make it a point to stop by TASTY CRUST in Wailuku. This unsuspecting roadside restaurant serves up awesome and HUGE Buttermilk Pancakes, along with a bunch of daily local specialties. Sam Choy is known to stop by there whenever on the valley isle.
              Last edited by Pomai; April 29, 2006, 05:05 PM. Reason: country grammar
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai

For breakfast, Make it a point to have breakfast at TASTY CRUST in Wailuku. This unsuspecting roadside restaurant serves up awesome and HUGE Buttermilk Pancakes, along with a bunch of daily local specialties. Sam Choy is known to stop by there whenever on the valley isle.
                Eh Pomai, I gotta admit you have a way with words for enticing folks to go and check out ono kine grinds. You and Erika have me drooling over Side Street Inn, which I'll be partaking of ASAP.

Comment

Other Maui places: Da Kitchen (2 locations, one near the airport, one in Kihei). The portions are way way bigger than L&L.

A Saigon Cafe in Wailuku has excellent Vietnamese style food (their whole fried fish is awesome, and Rachel Ray likes the place too!).

Sam Sato's (in the Wailuku Millyard, around the corner from the Wailuku Post Office) has delicious dry mein (only found on Maui) and fantastic peach, apple and coconut turnovers. In the same general area, (on the main road) is Wei Wei BBQ and Noodle House, which has really good Asian noodles.

Saeng's has Thai food that's relatively inexpensive. You can dine in the courtyard.

If you want lotsa sushi for reasonably cheap, go to Sushi Go! in the Queen Kaahumanu Shopping Center. It's kai-ten sushi (on a conveyor belt).

Craving hamburgers? Go to Ruby's Diner in the Kaahumanu Shopping Center. Koho Grill (down by Macy in the same shopping mall) has decent local food at decent prices.

If you want the "real" upscale sushi, the best on Maui is at Sansei (2 locations, one in Kihei and the other in Wailea). They have half price specials in the late evening.

Up country in Makawao, there's a little mom and pop saimin stand called Kitada's that's been around forever. Up the street a bit on the other side of Baldwin Ave is Komoda Bakery, world famous for their cream puffs.

If you want a spectacular view of Central Maui at sunset, head up to Kula and the Kula Lodge Restaurant. Pricey, but the view is well worth it. Or if you happen to be driving up to Haleakala Crater, this would be a good place for breakfast afterward (beware the downhill bike rider brigade, though).

Oh yeah, in the Maui Mall, there's Tasaka Guri Guri, which is another one of those "found only on Maui" kinds of places.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; April 29, 2006, 05:56 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

wow... great responses.

much mahalos to everyone.

i'll be making a list.

for me, no problem. i haven't met a plate a didn't like

i'm sure the family will love those places and we'll be working as many of them into our trip... especially the maui 'dives' as we'll be driving ourselves around the entire time we're there.

again... thanks for all the great info.

joel

Comment

On Oahu:

No visit would be complete without MANAPUA!!!

I like to call them "Chinese Hamburgers", but in essence it's a Dim Sum item. It's basically a steamed white flour bun with a chopped Charsiu (sweet roasted pork) filling. Variations include baked and a multitude of meat and vegetable fillings. Stick with the basic steamed charsiu version on your first try. Also order Pork Hash and Half Moon. Most of them are located on the drive towards the airport, making a perfect fresh food gift to take home to family (and a bite on the plane).

These are the most popular:

Libby Manapua Shop Inc
                      410 Kalihi St, Honolulu, HI
                      (808) 841-2253

Char Hung Sut Restaurant
                      64 N Pauahi St, Honolulu, HI
                      (808) 538-3335

Chun Wah Kam Noodle Factory

505 Kalihi St, Honolulu, HI
                      (808) 841-5303

Island Manapua Factory
                      Manoa Marketplace
                      2752 Woodlawn Dr, Honolulu, HI
                      (808) 988-5441

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You also have to try any of our popular OKAZUYA. See link for details.

My favorite is St. Louis Delicatessen on Waialae Ave. in Kaimuki (just across St. Louis High School, next to St. Louis Drive Inn). Chow Fun, 2 ume musubi, vegetable and shrimp tempura, teri' hot dog and fried chicken. It's all good.

For EXCELLENT sushi to go on the cheap (under $5), try either Kozo or Aloha Sushi. Oishii.
                      Last edited by Pomai; April 30, 2006, 01:21 PM. Reason: I know gang, these are repeats, but hey.. just trying to help a visitor
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                      X