Tom Cruise....Fading Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Cruise....Fading Star

Speaking of Tom Cruise, America has seemed to lost it's appeal for him. Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Rain Man and Jerry Maguire all classic films, America loved him.
    Then 'poof' , he wasn't such a boxoffice star.
    HT, when did your appeal for Tom die? Can he ever recover?

For me it's when he made that gawd awful Eyes Wide Shut. From there it was one disappointment after another. I am a BIG fan and still give his movies a chance (The Last Samurai was great) ,but I now wait for the DVD's. Now he's acting weird in public and his star gets dimmer and dimmer.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Tom Cruise....Fading Star

i don't think so. in fact, there may be a backlash of beating up on tom, and his new film looks good, some say the best of the three mission impssible movies.

Comment

>Speaking of Tom Cruise, America has seemed to lost it's appeal for him.

ya think?

>Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Rain Man and Jerry Maguire all classic films,

these are not classic.

High noon is classic
      The wizard of oz is classic.
      Citizen kane
      THAT is a classic.

>Now he's acting weird in public .
      not just now. he has been emulating an alien for a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
        [...]HT, when did your appeal for Tom die?[...]
        ...with his interview with Matt Lauer on the Today Show. He came off as an overly arrogant know-it-all attacking Brooke Shields and telling Lauer that Lauer knew nothing about psychotropic drugs and he (Cruise) knew everything. Pompass a$$. I've lost all respect for him as a person regardless of his talent. That's a wrap for me and Tom. Not that he knows or cares, of course!

Comment

Then 'poof' , he wasn't such a boxoffice star.
          Don't get me wrong, I think Tom Cruise is crazy as an outhouse rat, but he still has box office appeal. A little movie called War of the Worlds grossed $235 million domestically and $591 million globally, good enough for #29 on the all time worldwide box office list.

I bet MI3 does big business.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            >Now he's acting weird in public .
            not just now. he has been emulating an alien for a couple years.
            Absolutely no relations to the Lemurian Race. Nope. He is of another SPECIES. Total WHACKO Species!!!!!!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I feel bad for him. I think he's basically an okay guy who's into something way over his head. He wants so bad to support Scientology and is shooting himself in the foot, career-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
                Don't get me wrong, I think Tom Cruise is crazy as an outhouse rat, but he still has box office appeal. A little movie called War of the Worlds grossed $235 million domestically and $591 million globally, good enough for #29 on the all time worldwide box office list.

I bet MI3 does big business.
                War of the Worlds was a Steven Spielberg film and would have made BIG money if Pee Wee Herman was cast in Tom's role.Vanilla Sky (2001) made $201,000,000 worldwide yet I have yet to find a single person who liked that movie. Grosses like this make me ask the question:

Is Tom a "movie star" or an actor?

Flickr

Comment

War of the Worlds was a Steven Spielberg film and would have made BIG money if Pee Wee Herman was cast in Tom's role.
                  Now, THAT I would have gone to see..."PeeWee's Big War." Music by Danny Elfman.

Comment

Oh, Cruise is definitely a "movie star" rather than an "actor." Dozens of the reviews of his last few movies make this point. He's not an artist, he's not going to change the world, and he's by all accounts not among the nicest nor most reasonable people on Earth. But he sells tickets, and for the most part, that's what counts.

Like I said in the thread for M:I3 specifically, I'm sick of Tom (and Katie and the whole celebrity machine), and would otherwise be skeptical of the film's chances. But for whatever "duds" you might ascribe to him (there are fans of Vanilla Sky out there), people seem to be willing to see him on the big screen again and again.

I might see M:I3, myself. In spite of Tom? Sure. But to the Hollywood financiers, it doesn't matter.

Comment

I don't blame Scientology for all Tom's weirdness(John Travolta doesn't act stupid in public),I blame his publicist.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
                        he still has box office appeal. A little movie called War of the Worlds grossed $235 million domestically and $591 million globally,
                        it woulda been a little movie if it didn't have three things:
                        the legacy of hgwells.
                        speilberg.
                        CGI

Comment

I wouldn't go see a move with PeeWee Herman ( ) but I'd sure go seen one with him in it!
                          As for Tom Cruise... pfffbbbttt. He seems to be close to having a nervous breakdown. His couch-bouncing act on Oprah, his idiotic attack on Brooke Shields (and on all mothers with PPD), and all his Scientology-related activities and demands are just ludicrous. I mean, I don't read gossip columns, etc., but one just can't avoid all his media exposure, and most of it is negative. He's a "pretty boy", nothing more. (yawn)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Vanilla Sky (2001) made $201,000,000 worldwide yet I have yet to find a single person who liked that movie.
                            I actually liked it.

As for Tom Cruise, can't stand him, his ego is huge. Which is probably why his character in Magnolia seemed to fit him so well. Also. this isn't like a rotten child, where it's not the childs fault. but the parents. He's an adult, and makes his own decisions. I kinda feel bad for his PR people.

And what's up with his girl all of a sudden wanting to be called 'Kate'? Is she trying to sound more grown up or something?

Comment

We need to be careful of Tom Cruise. I believe he is an Alien being. He is too eccentric to be human. Aliens are just like us humans they seek a higher power or wanting to be the higher power. His true identity is slowly coming out. Next thing you know he is going to run for governor then become president! Next he will try to conquer the world.

But in reality anyone who believes in Scientology has got to be an Alien from another world anyway! I loved the way South Park showed what Scientology really is. After the episode I went online and read more about it. CULT not religion in my book. I lost all respect for Tom Cruise at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X