Bringing back your empties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing back your empties

How often do you go to get your nickel back? Every week, twice a month, once a month...? Or do you give it to someone?

I took 584 containers this morning to the center at Windward Mall. Normally if they are pre-counted and pre-sorted and decapped they just take your word for it and send you straight to the cashier. That's how it was the last time I went a few weeks ago. But now, gotta bust the bag and put them in their container so that they can weigh it. Apparently some people were inflating their counts so got to do it this way now to keep everyone on the up and up.

I thought I would get less if it was weighed but I got $32 instead of the expected $29.20... or another look at it is: I was credited for 56 more containers than I actually had. I guess it makes up for all the ones that don't get redeemed but the state charged a nickel for up front.

Anyway my answer to the original question is: once a month for my nieces and nephews.

Re: Bringing back your empties

wen we lived in CA we took them back every couple of weeks to get the nickel... but since we moved to MO they only pay for for the weight of the aluminum no deposit no big bucks.... we had saved about 4 months worth of cans that in Ca would have bought in over $100.00 and we got about $23.00 instead, kinda of a bummer
    Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
      I thought I would get less if it was weighed but I got $32 instead of the expected $29.20... or another look at it is: I was credited for 56 more containers than I actually had.
      Aren't you supposed to get 5 cents per container plus the recyling amount for the aluminum? After all you are still recycling the aluminum like before and should be paid for the weight of the aluminum.

Comment

I gave up..

Two times I redeemed at Beretania... Stood in line for more than 20 minutes each time... got back about $5.00 each time...

My time is worth more...sorry...

I toss em into the park for the homeless to collect now... (at least it keeps them from going through my garbage)

Comment

good memories of collecting cans and bottles in Michigan's 10-cent refund state..

we'd hit all the parks and anywhere where people would leave bottles and cans.. bought a lot of baseball cards and comic books off people's leftover bottles and cans.

Comment

I went on Wednesday and they only weigh it if you have a bag with more than 50 containers... doesn't matter if you counted them. I brought 2 garbage bags that my nieces counted. They weighed it and again the return was more than if they based it on a count.

Originally posted by D'Alani
            Aren't you supposed to get 5 cents per container plus the recyling amount for the aluminum? After all you are still recycling the aluminum like before and should be paid for the weight of the aluminum.

Comment

Working...
            X