Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UofH Hilo!!

I'll have to see for myself in 3 weeks

oh and btw..it will be an adventure anyways to go...why wouldnt I explore places? Shit, people go to Africa and get chased by lions, some go to Israel and have the fear of terrorist attacks...if the volcano explodes then I have something to worry about...IM IN FOR THE RIDE
    Last edited by hawaiifiveoh; May 19, 2006, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      I think your going to be in for a big shock....!!!

It rains there alot... and I'm not just talking light sprinkles... I'm talking raining cat's and dogs!!!
      Not usually. It's mostly just hours and hours and days and days of off-and-on sprinkles and showers. Thunderstorms are pretty rare here compared to the continent. When it gets into a rainy pattern for a week or two mold grows on pretty much anything - clothes, books, leather, plastic, video/audio tapes, photographs, Venetian blinds, etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately it rains more often at night which makes it hard to have nice late night walks in Hilo - I really miss long nightly walks. The days are also short because the sun often disappears behind the upslope clouds between 3-4 PM. The upside is that the extra clouds mean we're several degrees cooler than the rest of the state, which feels nice.
      Last edited by beaker; May 19, 2006, 10:08 PM.

Comment

interesting information on this last post. Very different from all the other posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007
          interesting information on this last post. Very different from all the other posts.
          Oh? Well, I always lived in very different climates than this, so I probably see it somewhat differently. Also, I bike or walk almost everywhere, so I really notice the weather in detail. Anyhow, the doom and gloom about the rain in Hilo is often greatly exaggerated, but it does have an effect on what you can do and when. Homebodies probably won't notice it much. Outdoorsy people will have to work around it. Heh, I never guessed video tape could mold. Gotta buy the MegaSize bucket of Damp-Rid for my "dry closet" where my treasures are stored.

Comment

I am having trouble understanding this mold theory.

When it rains the air becomes so humid and wet, it gets through the house and affects everything inside? or when something gets wet outside and one brings the item inside and then the molding commences?

I know mold on food, but never on physical items..books, wallet, etc.

Comment

When it rains the air becomes so humid and wet, it gets through the house and affects everything inside? or when something gets wet outside and one brings the item inside and then the molding commences?

Because it's so humid... it is very hard to get things to dry out.

If your use to hang drying your clothes in California and it taking a few hours to dry...

If the rain gives you the chance to even try and hang dry your clothes... you will find that it can take much longer than just a few hours.

It seems like by the time everything does get dried out... you get hit with another set of rains...

My mom bought a brand new house about 10 years ago... within a year she was constantly battling mold around window seals...

(and less than a year after she bought the house...Hilo had big enough rains that her brand new house got flooded up to 4 inches of rain inside the house)

It literally took professional cleaners a week worth of work to come in and clean up the mess...(we had insurance luckily...) we got brand new carpets and everything... however, there was still a molding problem around the outside of the house where it got wet... Took plenty hard manual scrubbing/scraping/and complaining before we finally got that removed.

I think there was another post about Mold on HT before...but it was more of a general thread on it... however, for you Brandon... even the Major Hotels here have troubles with Mold....

http://starbulletin.com/2002/08/17/business/story1.html

Just one of many articles...

Mold is a problem here in Hawaii because of the tropical climate... most people have just learned to live with it and clean it up when it becomes visible.

Comment

The humidity in the air is enough for mold to grow on anything it can eat. I know photographs are really vulnerable. Apparently it can eat the tape in video tapes as well. Many people have problems with leather. There are certain other kinds of fabric it can grow on. Some wood items will mold, but especially after contact with water. (e.g. cutting boards, knife handles) Worst of all, I have major problems with mold growing on my book bindings.
                Last edited by beaker; May 21, 2006, 02:57 AM.

Comment

ok thanks..another helpfull tip...keep em' comin!

Comment

Just wondering where the posts from this thread went?

Admin... any answers?

Comment

I see 54 responses to this thread. I suspect that maybe it's your settings that control the thread age cut off. Go into User CP, then select Edit Options and look for a setting for Default Thread Age Cut Off. You change it to Show all threads or some other value that you feel comfortable.

Comment

I put two pairs of similar brown leather shoes in my closet back in December. I took them out today. One looked just like it did when I put it in. The other was a mold garden that looked kind of like cheese that had spent 5 months too long in the fridge. Yeesh, picky mold! Fortunately despite the impressive fuzz forest, it wiped off pretty easily.

Comment

what about all the replies that had to do w/ Brandon's banking problem and getting his car to Hilo?

Comment

It's in the Route 808 sub-forum. I don't remember if that was where it was initially posted.

Comment

Hilo's history of rains and floods article...

Brandon... you may want to read this...

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...features01.txt

Comment

It takes a LOT of rain to start causing problems for most of us in Hilo. 12 inches of rain is kind of ho-hum. Yeah, the bayfront can flood, but thats expected. Hilo has a lot of junk structures and places that should never have been built up to begin with, and nature's just correcting our errors. Some of the major storm channels have been upgraded in the last few years, where roads had washed out before. Its fun to read about, but no worry if you stay out of the sketchy low elevation areas of town. Bring it on!

Comment

Working...
                                X