36 50.70%
  • Who can eat that stuff?

11 15.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can mainlanders hate spam?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How can mainlanders hate spam?

To some people in the islands, spam is the most versatile foods around.

We locals grew up on this stuff, and we don't have steaks, lobster, or whatever they (mainlanders) eat everyday.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Default Re: How can mainlanders hate spam?

The one in the blue can I like.

I hate all of the spam that comes in email!

I tend to eat the Low Sodium version of Spam also in the blue can. Been known to eat the Turkey Spam too.

Okay.

In theory, Spam is just fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a perfectly acceptable food.

Except.

I know that when my parents were having a hard time making ends meet, they served us Spam. This seems to be the case with many of us who grew up on the Mainland. You only got Spam when your folks were broke and you had nothing else to eat. It was one-week-til-payday food.

So it's mental. I can't speak for everyone, but eating Spam, in whatever shape or form, reminds me of hard times. Even fried, in shoyu? No thanks. I'll eat the rice plain, wrapped in nori.

A friend married guy from the Boston area and came to Hawaii to visit the in-laws...they served SPAM for breakfast with eggs and he was SHOCKED I think the further east you go, the people don't like SPAM. I watched a SPAM festival on the Food network not too long ago...they sure made SPAM look Ono!
    Retired Senior Member

Spam and Vienna Sausage = "Food of the gods"

Quote Originally Posted by Kilinahe
    Okay.

In theory, Spam is just fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a perfectly acceptable food.

Except.

I know that when my parents were having a hard time making ends meet, they served us Spam. This seems to be the case with many of us who grew up on the Mainland. You only got Spam when your folks were broke and you had nothing else to eat. It was one-week-til-payday food.

So it's mental. I can't speak for everyone, but eating Spam, in whatever shape or form, reminds me of hard times. Even fried, in shoyu? No thanks. I'll eat the rice plain, wrapped in nori.
    Probably that'll explain it why my older brother's (who is attending school in Michigan) friends looked at him weird when we sent him several cans of the stuff.

The dried octopus and other dried things didn't please them either, but they did like the li hing mui.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

I love spam!

Did you know a Spam Musubi costs 500 dollars at Sansei?

It's true! next time you go there look on the menu!

-vic

Quote Originally Posted by doc1456
    To some people in the islands, spam is the most versatile foods around.

We locals grew up on this stuff, and we don't have steaks, lobster, or whatever they (mainlanders) eat everyday.
    Steaks? Lobsters? None of the people I see here eat that "everyday", though here in RI, where I can currently buy live lobster (if I ever chose to) for $3 a pound dockside (the price goes up in winter), I guess people could eat it on a daily basis.

As for Spam, (made on the mainland in Austin, MN), there must be some mainlanders who consume it. Shoots...every supermarket I go into here has a full line of it, with all of its varieties, usually right next to the Vienna Sausages and the "potted meat product". I don't imagine it's there to take up valuable shelf space. We even occasionally get coupons for Spam in the Sunday papers..usually save $1 on 2 cans.

Also: Maybe legal secretary in mtl can verify this for me, but up in Quebec and in some of the French villages of northern New England, there is a ground meat product to be had known as "cretons". I guess one could call this the Quebecois version of Spam, though it is usually sold fresh in small plastic containers and is no where near as firm as Spam...it certainly doesn't appear it would hold up well to frying. I doubt those unfamiliar with cretons would find it appatizing to any degree...it appears to be an acquired taste.
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; August 11th, 2006 at 03:52 AM.

SPAM (Hormel) has it over their competition, including the most recent entry, TULIP, which was not bad taste-wise. TREET (Armour) and TEMPT (Dubuque) tasted inferior to me. When we couldn't afford kalua pork or corned beef, it was spam and cabbage.

We used to buy luncheon meat from the butcher, sliced thin and wrapped in butcher's paper. That was closer to bologna than SPAM.

Once, there was only one variety of SPAM, Now, we buy the lower-sodium type (25% less).

Vienna sausage is another favorite - we stick with the Libby's brand in the yellow label. They once used the blue label and it didn't sell, even though the sausages were the same.

Until I was 18, the only spaghetti I was familiar with came in cans: Libby's, Franco American, and Chef-Boy-Ardee. Not even the Kraft spaghetti kits. Other canned meats we ate were salmon and sardines (oil, tomato sauce) over hot rice, minature franks with pork-n-beans, and corned beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingfarmboy
    As for Spam, (made on the mainland in Austin, MN), there must be some mainlanders who consume it.
    Poor college kids, and some other poor people...and weirdos.
    Seriously, when I lived in Minnesota it was considered a
    joke food, and has an image problem. People think of it as
    pressed scrapings off the slaughterhouse floor.
    "SPAM, SPAM, eggs, sausage and SPAM. SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!"
    But hey, they eat lutefisk there.

However, Hormel chili was accepted (makes great chip dip),
    and Hormel tamales are a guilty pleasure of mine. Both of
    those are much less healthy.

"potted meat product".
    I occasionally bought that vile stuff because it sometimes
    actually tastes good on saltines when you're in the right mood.
    Good for late night snack breaks at work. Judging by the texture
    I think it contains ground-up bones as filler. A good source
    of calcium!
    Last edited by beaker; August 11th, 2006 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker
    Poor college kids, and some other poor people...and weirdos.
    Seriously, when I lived in Minnesota it was considered a
    joke food, and has an image problem. People think of it as
    pressed scrapings off the slaughterhouse floor.
    "SPAM, SPAM, eggs, sausage and SPAM. SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!"
    i always heard spam was assholes, nipples, and snouts

"sorry, but we're out of eggs and saaaauuusage"
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Well, since someone resurrected the thread anyway... I live on the mainland and I have to admit that I like Spam. I don't eat much because it's got to be one of the worst possible foods for you... but it sure is tasty.

Got a big Costco pack of it in our "disaster stash".

Posteb by surfingfarmboy:
    though here in RI, where I can currently buy live lobster (if I ever chose to) for $3 a pound dockside
    I guess you now know what your bringing as treats the next time you visit

Even before I went veggie, I didn't like it. D'oh!

I don't want to over generalize here...

But I think Spam has heavily contributed to the problem of many of our kids being over weight here in Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    I don't want to over generalize here...

But I think Spam has heavily contributed to the problem of many of our kids being over weight here in Hawaii.
    No Manoa....That would be grandparents!
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

How can mainlanders hate spam?

what IS... a
    "can mainlander"
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by kimo55

what IS... a
    "can mainlander"
    ?
    Dass how, kimo. Now you're 74 posts ahead of Miulang!

Quote Originally Posted by kimo55
    How can mainlanders hate spam?
    what IS... a
    "can mainlander"
    ?
    A can of...
    Someone
    Pissed
    At
    Mainlanders?

I remember when the Hawaii Collector's Edition was available in stores, some folks were auctioning them on eBay as SPAM Musubi "kits". It included the SPAM, an acrylic rectangle musubi maker, Aloha brand Teriyaki Sauce and a package of Nori. Bids were going about $20 last I seen. Some were selling just the HCE SPAM with a starting $5.00 bid.

That'd be funny... going to the mainland and instead of taking up Chocolate-covered Macadamia Nuts as omiyage, you bring SPAM. Or your kid in college on the east coast calls you up, "Mom, you can send me a case of SPAM".

When I went back home to Kaua'i at the end of May, I bought 3 of the clear double Musubi makers. 2 for me and 1 for a friend. I'm keeping one of mine sealed and stored away, for if anything happens to the one I use now.... it would be over. Ever since I moved up here, I've craved Spam Musubi every now and then. To satisfy my hunger, I'd have to go to Ono Hawaiian BBQ or L&L's Hawaiian Barbecue. Normally it was Ono's. L&L's only if I was desperate. The L&L over here is nothing liek back home. And during it's two years of being opened it's already been taken over by new management. The new management isn't the best. The food has gone from good to just barely paseable.

I just wish I knew how to make 7 Eleven's Spam Katsu Musubi.

Found a previous post and photo link by tiptoetulip:
    [October 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM mmmm spam!! now where would Hawaii be without spam in our culture??!! I know what you mean! Here in the islands spam is definitely a food group all by itself. All this spam talk has made me think of Spam Katsu Musubi, from 7-11. There was a time when I just loved eating those, but then I got tired of the rice, because there was just too much of it. But my short lived affair gave me much satisfaction! I couldn't find a pic of the 7-11 kine, but I found this pic here, of Spam Katsu Curry, from Sumo Ramen & Curry (http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono...men_curr.html). It has me salivating...and I just made curry last night (with lots of fukujinzuke)!]

It's probably not the same, texture or flavor-wise, as the 7-Eleven Spam Katsu Musubi, because it's brought out fresh from the Sumo Ramen kitchen, as opposed to wrapped in plastic and set in a warming box for hours (days? ) until somebody buys it.
    Man, now I'm ono for Spam Katsu Curry Rice! I have Spam, I have Panko, I have boil-in-bag S&B curry ... that may trump my earlier onos for Okonomiyaki. I'd planned to make it with Spam anyway -- because yes, Kilinahe, (happy birthday, BTW!) these are those hard days prior to pay day. I was going to do one batch of Okonomiyaki with regular cabbage and one with drained, chopped kim chee ... Maybe I'll just spend the whole afternoon cooking as if some Army were coming over.
    I was also going to prepare some type of black bean dish ... Cuban, Southern, Tex-Mex, I'd not yet decided. What to choose?!
    Of course none of it will get done as long as I'm sitting here!
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle
    It has me salivating...and I just made curry last night (with lots of fukujinzuke)!]
    So Erika how does your curry differ from Korean curry? I looks different.

I make curry often I was taught by an mother of a guy I was dating.
    It is red curry (or green) made with chicken, potatoes, tofu, and sometimes onion.It is made with water not coconut milk. OH and CARROTS too!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

I do not like Spam but I skimmed thread and I would taste some of these recipes! If only you cooked them I DONT hate spam, but cmon compared to something like portugese sausage-what you gonna pick? I can relate to the poster that it reminded them of hard times, when my family hit hard times, we ate chipped beef or creamed egg-both on toast, well if bread was in house! My mother acted *creative* I didnt know till I was older at the art of stretching things out thats moms do so well, and I also tht they were tasty!

I may try the low sodium spam, just to give spam one more try-but I love salt so seems pointless! Portugese sausage is something to talk about-my mom Is Polish, never eats anything but Kielbasa, until she visits me, Portugese sausage baby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast