How can mainlanders hate spam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How can mainlanders hate spam?

For Rice-a-Roni, I tend to use the Chicken or Fried Rice flavor.

Comment

My son likes the rice-a-roni. I personally would rather cook my own but I do buy him those. I'll suggest the spam but he doesn't care much for it.

Comment

Its Funny cause Im from Hawaii ( #1 spam lovers) and I live in Alaska ( #2 spam lovers ) but everyone I talk to here tells me they hate spam! When I tell them about spam & eggs or spam fried rice they all give me strange looks

Comment

Guess it's just an Islander thing about SPAM...I don't have any in my house now but I always have to buy to take to the mainland! It's so expensive there! And my daughter LOVES it! (she lives in N. CA) Maybe it was known as "poor man's food that's what some have told me.
          Retired Senior Member

Comment

I get my spam from food for less hear in California. It's 2.69 on sale but most times it's 3.16 cents. what is the going rate for spam in Hawaii and else where?

Comment

Here in HI if it's on sale you can get a can of SPAM for $1.59-1.69. No wonder I have to haul SPAM up there for my daughter! I also bring her lau lau, poi and kalua pig. And bring luau leaves for my brother who lives in San Jose.
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

No wonder hawaii is Spam capital of the world...LOL.
                I bought couple Taro plants from a guy at the aloha fest, who was selling hawaiian plants. I got a papaya tree and a tee leaf plant too. I keep them in a green house.
                One day i'll have enough taro growing for me to make my own poi.

Comment

Originally posted by kukui_nut
                  Maybe you can please your in-law by serving up some of THIS.
                  Whoa! Spam cupcakes??!!

Ok. Quoting from the "Gospel According to Kimo"
                  chapter 12 Verse tree...
                  "...during the lass days going get pieces
                  of sky falling on yo' head and going get one
                  skinny pake girl winning golf games..and
                  going get people making SPAM CUPCAKES!!"

The sign of the Apocalypse .. or as we
                  used to say in Kalihi ..Ah Pack of Leeps!

Ai carrumbah! Bruddah Krash thot he seen
                  it all ...but NOOOOOOoooooo! Now along
                  come SPAM CUPCAKES ...is nothing sacred
                  these days??!!

I thot wen I saw LOW SODIUM spam
                  that was eeet.

I thot wen I saw TURKEY spam
                  that was eeet.

But I am turning in my "Imitation Krab"
                  membership card if there is any more
                  desercration of the holy'
                  grail of processed "food" our beloved
                  SPAM.

What happened to REAL food??!!!

K'den..."um...waitress...I will take
                  the Bocca Burger wit everyting on it
                  k? And oh...you guyz get Sweet n low?"
                  "I was going call 911 ...but I neva know da numbah"

Comment

But what brand of spam do you like?

I like the original blue can (Hormel). When I see my mom buy the imitation kind, I remind myself to not eat it (sometimes it taste junk) but when she serves it, I usually eat it.

And is it just me, or does certain people hate spam in Hawaii? Only me and my dad will eat that stuff, while my siblings won't (my Mom fries it, but when she makes musubi, then they eat it

How you figgah? (never used that phrase for a while)
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

What's "imitation"? Treet? 'Cause I tried that bacon-flavored Tulip, and it's actually not bad at all.

Comment

Ever heard of Scrapple? Someone told me about it, and I even saw it in Safeway once. Its frozen and its grayish. I heard what doesnt go into spam goes into scrapple. It is made in Philly.

I think during the first spam fest someone concocted a spam milkshake. mmMMM spam.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                          what doesnt go into spam goes into scrapple. It is made in Philly.
                          that sounds about right!

during the first spam fest someone concocted a spam milkshake. mmMMM spam.
                          now THAT does NOT sound right.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                            To some people in the islands, spam is the most versatile foods around.

We locals grew up on this stuff, and we don't have steaks, lobster, or whatever they (mainlanders) eat everyday.
                            Steaks? Lobsters? None of the people I see here eat that "everyday", though here in RI, where I can currently buy live lobster (if I ever chose to) for $3 a pound dockside (the price goes up in winter), I guess people could eat it on a daily basis.

As for Spam, (made on the mainland in Austin, MN), there must be some mainlanders who consume it. Shoots...every supermarket I go into here has a full line of it, with all of its varieties, usually right next to the Vienna Sausages and the "potted meat product". I don't imagine it's there to take up valuable shelf space. We even occasionally get coupons for Spam in the Sunday papers..usually save $1 on 2 cans.

Also: Maybe legal secretary in mtl can verify this for me, but up in Quebec and in some of the French villages of northern New England, there is a ground meat product to be had known as "cretons". I guess one could call this the Quebecois version of Spam, though it is usually sold fresh in small plastic containers and is no where near as firm as Spam...it certainly doesn't appear it would hold up well to frying. I doubt those unfamiliar with cretons would find it appatizing to any degree...it appears to be an acquired taste.
                            Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; August 11, 2006, 02:52 AM.

Comment

SPAM (Hormel) has it over their competition, including the most recent entry, TULIP, which was not bad taste-wise. TREET (Armour) and TEMPT (Dubuque) tasted inferior to me. When we couldn't afford kalua pork or corned beef, it was spam and cabbage.

We used to buy luncheon meat from the butcher, sliced thin and wrapped in butcher's paper. That was closer to bologna than SPAM.

Once, there was only one variety of SPAM, Now, we buy the lower-sodium type (25% less).

Vienna sausage is another favorite - we stick with the Libby's brand in the yellow label. They once used the blue label and it didn't sell, even though the sausages were the same.

Until I was 18, the only spaghetti I was familiar with came in cans: Libby's, Franco American, and Chef-Boy-Ardee. Not even the Kraft spaghetti kits. Other canned meats we ate were salmon and sardines (oil, tomato sauce) over hot rice, minature franks with pork-n-beans, and corned beef.

Comment

Well, since someone resurrected the thread anyway... I live on the mainland and I have to admit that I like Spam. I don't eat much because it's got to be one of the worst possible foods for you... but it sure is tasty.

Got a big Costco pack of it in our "disaster stash".

Comment

Working...
                                X