Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How can mainlanders hate spam?

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
    I remember the first time I was assigned to opening the can. The can with the KEY. I screwed up terribly. Went all crooked, then the little metal strip ripped off. Dad was not amused...
    I like the old-fashioned key-type opening of those odd-shaped corned beef cans. Having seen key-cans in old cartoons, the face of my eldest lit up when he saw his opportunity to give it a shot in my kitchen several years ago. I let him, and it wanted to go all crooked on him, too, but he managed to succeed. It just struck me as so amusing, because I remember being younger, seeing the cartoon-cans and wishing I could get the chance to do that too.

Some old-fashioned stuff is cool to still have around. The corned beef cans aren't "broke," so I hope nobody fixes 'em!

Back OT, I much prefer the pop-top Spam can they make now, but given the rounded bottom edges of the current can, it would seem near-impossible to convert the can into a musubi press, like you could do with the older-style cans. Thankfully, I have one of those double-sized acrylic molds for Spam musubi-making.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Some sardine cans still have the "key peeler" to take the lids off.

Sorry... I just spammed this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
        I like the old-fashioned key-type opening of those odd-shaped corned beef cans. Having seen key-cans in old cartoons, the face of my eldest lit up when he saw his opportunity to give it a shot in my kitchen several years ago. I let him, and it wanted to go all crooked on him, too, but he managed to succeed. It just struck me as so amusing, because I remember being younger, seeing the cartoon-cans and wishing I could get the chance to do that too.

Some old-fashioned stuff is cool to still have around. The corned beef cans aren't "broke," so I hope nobody fixes 'em!
        LOL---perfect key-can opening on the first try!

As a kid, the biggest key-cans I opened were five-pound cans of Krakus Polish ham.

It seemed to take forever. You needed great focus to keep that metal strip from running down off the key into a skinny spiral, which would then force you to unroll the mess and work it back onto the key and try again. Better than shearing the metal strip off, though. You were doomed if that happened any sooner than three-quarters of the way through.

Anyone else remember when cans of ground coffee were opened with a key, too?
        Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; August 19, 2006, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I wound up making Spam Katsu Curry last week. Was ono. My brother, his brother-in-law and I had grind. Thanks for the tips. I figured after I posted that, 7 Eleven probably put it in the sauce before they top it. Taste good with da bacon spam.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
            LOL---perfect key-can opening on the first try!

As a kid, the biggest key-cans I opened were five-pound cans of Krakus Polish ham.

It seemed to take forever. You needed great focus to keep that metal strip from running down off the key into a skinny spiral, which would then force you to unroll the mess and work it back onto the key and try again. Better than shearing the metal strip off, though. You were doomed if that happened any sooner than three-quarters of the way through.

Anyone else remember when cans of ground coffee were opened with a key, too?

HILLS BROTHERS and MJB coffee were sold in the big cans. Also, GHIRADELLI cocoa (chocolate) powder.

The canned hams, up to 5 lbs., also had keys. ARMOUR STAR; HORMEL; CUDAHAY BAR-S; DUBUQUE; RATH BLACK HAWK ........

We opened them very carefully to avoid getting cut.

Comment

Aaahh!!! Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just love Spam so much, I couldn't resist. I usually give my kindergarten son sandwiches to take for his lunch but one day I sent him with a spam musubi. His teacher practically begged me to make some for her the next time I make for him. She didn't ask for only one...she wants like five Maybe for her other teacher friends??? Everytime I see her...she hints, hints, hints at me for her fried spam musubi

BTW here in SF, I can get it one sale for 1.99 at RiteAid or Walgreens. Its Like 3.69 regular Price
              Foodland in Kaneohe I got it for 1.29 each with the coupon a couple months ago. I bought 10 cans, and still not enough

Comment

I went to a grocery store here in Canada and asked if they had spam.. they laughed at my face and asked me if I was serious.. so I guess they dont like it?
                Funny.. I think that stuff is soooo 'ono..

Comment

Judging by the results of the poll...

I'm a minority on the enjoying Spam thing.... I can't stand it any way it's cooked. I think it reminds me of Bologna and I can't stand that either.

Question... How does my two year old son know that he doesn't like it... when he's never had it before?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                    Question... How does my two year old son know that he doesn't like it... when he's never had it before?
                    Because they don't call that age the "terrible twos" for nothing. Every other word is "NO". My guess is if he ever tasted it, he would probably like it, though. If you called it "chopped ham" he might think it was OK, and if he was on a desert island with nothing but cans of Spam, he certainly would eat it (that, and vienna snausage...both staples in Hawai'i).

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      Because they don't call that age the "terrible twos" for nothing. Every other word is "NO". My guess is if he ever tasted it, he would probably like it, though. If you called it "chopped ham" he might think it was OK, and if he was on a desert island with nothing but cans of Spam, he certainly would eat it (that, and vienna snausage...both staples in Hawai'i).

Miulang
                      Scary... he won't eat Vienna sausage either!!! He's a very picky eater...and he has nibbled on both... he just doesn't like it!
                      He sure seems to like the expensive stuff though at least he likes rice and saimin.

I just wish I could get him to eat the spams, the vienna sausage, etc.
                      The closest thing that I've found that he does like in this junk kine category is Hot Dogs!

I could start a whole new topic on Kids foods alone

Comment

Working...
                      X