How can mainlanders hate spam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can mainlanders hate spam?

To some people in the islands, spam is the most versatile foods around.

We locals grew up on this stuff, and we don't have steaks, lobster, or whatever they (mainlanders) eat everyday.
    I like it.
    33.80%
    Like, I LOVE it!!
    50.70%
    Who can eat that stuff?
    15.49%
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: How can mainlanders hate spam?

The one in the blue can I like.

I hate all of the spam that comes in email!
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I tend to eat the Low Sodium version of Spam also in the blue can. Been known to eat the Turkey Spam too.

Comment

Okay.

In theory, Spam is just fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a perfectly acceptable food.

Except.

I know that when my parents were having a hard time making ends meet, they served us Spam. This seems to be the case with many of us who grew up on the Mainland. You only got Spam when your folks were broke and you had nothing else to eat. It was one-week-til-payday food.

So it's mental. I can't speak for everyone, but eating Spam, in whatever shape or form, reminds me of hard times. Even fried, in shoyu? No thanks. I'll eat the rice plain, wrapped in nori.

Comment

A friend married guy from the Boston area and came to Hawaii to visit the in-laws...they served SPAM for breakfast with eggs and he was SHOCKED I think the further east you go, the people don't like SPAM. I watched a SPAM festival on the Food network not too long ago...they sure made SPAM look Ono!
          Retired Senior Member

Comment

Spam and Vienna Sausage = "Food of the gods"

Comment

The problem I have is that I like my Spam sliced very thin and fried to a crisp. None of the local eateries do it that way.

(Granted, sometimes I just slice it raw from the can and eat it as a sandwich ... with mustard.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
                Okay.

In theory, Spam is just fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a perfectly acceptable food.

Except.

I know that when my parents were having a hard time making ends meet, they served us Spam. This seems to be the case with many of us who grew up on the Mainland. You only got Spam when your folks were broke and you had nothing else to eat. It was one-week-til-payday food.

So it's mental. I can't speak for everyone, but eating Spam, in whatever shape or form, reminds me of hard times. Even fried, in shoyu? No thanks. I'll eat the rice plain, wrapped in nori.
                Probably that'll explain it why my older brother's (who is attending school in Michigan) friends looked at him weird when we sent him several cans of the stuff.

The dried octopus and other dried things didn't please them either, but they did like the li hing mui.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I love spam!

Did you know a Spam Musubi costs 500 dollars at Sansei?

It's true! next time you go there look on the menu!

-vic
                  Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                    From another thread

What would you miss if you stayed on the mainland for a few years? My Mom sent him spam (the food), a rice cooker (you gotta have rice w/ spam), dried squid/octopus (and other dried food), and li hing mui.
                    I think you hit this topic on the head as to why Spam is kind of popular here in Hawaii. The fact that Spam and rice tend to go together. I admit despite my many years living in Hawaii I'm not much of a rice eater. I don't even own a rice cooker, hell I more than likey burn steamed rice if I attempt to cook it. I prefer making Macaroni and Cheese over Rice-a-Roni any day of the week, but I tell you I would not serve or eat Spam with pasta or potatoes. It won't kill you if you do but I suspect it's a worse food comboination that serving white wine with beef.

Comment

My father-in-law hated spam till he met me..lol. He said it was served to the people who were fighting over seas months on end. He also said when you're poor, it was cheapest meat to buy.
                      I made spam and pineapple once and he tried it and liked it. He also liked it in the fried rice. He still don't like the musubi though. He'll eat it if , like Albert, sliced very thin and fried.
                      I guess it's how you prepare it.

Comment

Originally posted by aleno
                        I guess it's how you prepare it.
                        Maybe you can please your in-law by serving up some of THIS.

Comment

I have a mainland friend who told me that he eats it out of a can. *shudders* Even I won't eat it straight out of a can and I love spam. I too, like it fried crispy, almost taste like sizzlean bacon ... almost.
                          Send POI

Comment

If I am using one those packaged Rice mixes (like Rice-o-Roni or the Lipton ones), I take a can of Spam, half of that is sliced (in varyness degrees of thickness) and placed on a plate. The other half is cut into cubes and/or strips and placed into the almost finished cooking rice mix. When the rice mix is done, pour that on the plate of spam.

Comment

Thanks Kukui,

Some of the recipies sounds good.

I never thought spam tasted like sizzlin but I never had it.....LOL

Helen what flovor of rice do you use with your spam?

Comment

Working...
                              X