"can mainlander"
    ?

Comment

Re: How can mainlanders hate spam?

Originally posted by kimo55

what IS... a
      "can mainlander"
      ?
      Dass how, kimo. Now you're 74 posts ahead of Miulang!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        How can mainlanders hate spam?
        what IS... a
        "can mainlander"
        ?
        A can of...
        Someone
        Pissed
        At
        Mainlanders?

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
          As for Spam, (made on the mainland in Austin, MN), there must be some mainlanders who consume it.
          Poor college kids, and some other poor people...and weirdos.
          Seriously, when I lived in Minnesota it was considered a
          joke food, and has an image problem. People think of it as
          pressed scrapings off the slaughterhouse floor.
          "SPAM, SPAM, eggs, sausage and SPAM. SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!"
          But hey, they eat lutefisk there.

However, Hormel chili was accepted (makes great chip dip),
          and Hormel tamales are a guilty pleasure of mine. Both of
          those are much less healthy.

"potted meat product".
          I occasionally bought that vile stuff because it sometimes
          actually tastes good on saltines when you're in the right mood.
          Good for late night snack breaks at work. Judging by the texture
          I think it contains ground-up bones as filler. A good source
          of calcium!
          Last edited by beaker; August 11, 2006, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
            Poor college kids, and some other poor people...and weirdos.
            Seriously, when I lived in Minnesota it was considered a
            joke food, and has an image problem. People think of it as
            pressed scrapings off the slaughterhouse floor.
            "SPAM, SPAM, eggs, sausage and SPAM. SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!"
            i always heard spam was assholes, nipples, and snouts

"sorry, but we're out of eggs and saaaauuusage"
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
              SPAM =

S-pare
              P-arts
              A-nimal
              M-eat
              That's pretty creative of you, speedtek, but I believe, Spam is an acronym for "Spiced Ham"!

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Jon Anderson, once the host of a weekday morning show on KGUM 570 AM (K57) in Guam, but a few years back, while he was still on-air with it, he once attended the big annual Spam festival that the city of Austin (MN) puts on every year, complete with remote broadcasts aired back to Guam from there. He felt, in a tongue-in-cheek manner, that it was his obligation to attend this event for the citizens of Guam, as Guam evidently is the number one per captia consumer of Spam among the fifty states and American territories.
              Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; August 12, 2006, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I remember when the Hawaii Collector's Edition was available in stores, some folks were auctioning them on eBay as SPAM Musubi "kits". It included the SPAM, an acrylic rectangle musubi maker, Aloha brand Teriyaki Sauce and a package of Nori. Bids were going about $20 last I seen. Some were selling just the HCE SPAM with a starting $5.00 bid.

That'd be funny... going to the mainland and instead of taking up Chocolate-covered Macadamia Nuts as omiyage, you bring SPAM. Or your kid in college on the east coast calls you up, "Mom, you can send me a case of SPAM".
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

When I went back home to Kaua'i at the end of May, I bought 3 of the clear double Musubi makers. 2 for me and 1 for a friend. I'm keeping one of mine sealed and stored away, for if anything happens to the one I use now.... it would be over. Ever since I moved up here, I've craved Spam Musubi every now and then. To satisfy my hunger, I'd have to go to Ono Hawaiian BBQ or L&L's Hawaiian Barbecue. Normally it was Ono's. L&L's only if I was desperate. The L&L over here is nothing liek back home. And during it's two years of being opened it's already been taken over by new management. The new management isn't the best. The food has gone from good to just barely paseable.

I just wish I knew how to make 7 Eleven's Spam Katsu Musubi.

Comment

Found a previous post and photo link by tiptoetulip:
                    [October 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM mmmm spam!! now where would Hawaii be without spam in our culture??!! I know what you mean! Here in the islands spam is definitely a food group all by itself. All this spam talk has made me think of Spam Katsu Musubi, from 7-11. There was a time when I just loved eating those, but then I got tired of the rice, because there was just too much of it. But my short lived affair gave me much satisfaction! I couldn't find a pic of the 7-11 kine, but I found this pic here, of Spam Katsu Curry, from Sumo Ramen & Curry (http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono...men_curr.html). It has me salivating...and I just made curry last night (with lots of fukujinzuke)!]

It's probably not the same, texture or flavor-wise, as the 7-Eleven Spam Katsu Musubi, because it's brought out fresh from the Sumo Ramen kitchen, as opposed to wrapped in plastic and set in a warming box for hours (days? ) until somebody buys it.
                    Man, now I'm ono for Spam Katsu Curry Rice! I have Spam, I have Panko, I have boil-in-bag S&B curry ... that may trump my earlier onos for Okonomiyaki. I'd planned to make it with Spam anyway -- because yes, Kilinahe, (happy birthday, BTW!) these are those hard days prior to pay day. I was going to do one batch of Okonomiyaki with regular cabbage and one with drained, chopped kim chee ... Maybe I'll just spend the whole afternoon cooking as if some Army were coming over.
                    I was also going to prepare some type of black bean dish ... Cuban, Southern, Tex-Mex, I'd not yet decided. What to choose?!
                    Of course none of it will get done as long as I'm sitting here!
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Manö'iki
                      I have the two Spam cookbooks by Ann Kondo Corum, but rather than get up and look for the recipe in either book (well, I can't find one of 'em), I wasted time looking on the Internet without success. *slapping forehead*
                      I was stoked/amused to find that the recipes section at AlohaWorld-dot-com gave Spam its own category. Akamai, no?

I got up and actually found the cookbook with the recipe in it, in about 10 seconds. (Again with the forehead slapping.)

This is not completely word for word; I've added my own commentary without changing the recipe or method.

SPAM KATSU

Flour for dusting
                      1 can Spam sliced into 8 slabs
                      2 egg whites, beaten until frothy
                      Panko or other fine breadcrumbs (garans the Italian seasoned ones would taste different)
                      vegetable oil for frying

Put a little flour on a piece of waxed paper or foil (or a plate, no need waste money).
                      Coat Spam with flour, dip in egg whites and coat with panko.
                      Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry coated Spam until golden brown.
                      Drain on paper towels and serve with sauce (recipe follows):

1/2 c ketchup
                      1/4 tsp pepper (ooh -- vary the pepper! Use Cayenne, or white, or ... )
                      2 to 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
                      Tabasco to taste

(ee note: Of course if you have Kikkoman Tonkatsu Sauce or Bulldog or some other brand of Tonkatsu Sauce, no need make from scratch.)

Variation Curry Spam Katsu (from the book):

Make Spam Katsu and slice into bite-sized pieces. Make some prepared curry sauce such as S&B, Vermont, etc., adding veggies if desired. Put Spam katsu on a helping of hot rice and pour curry all over.

Rewritten from "Hawaii's 2nd Spam Cookbook" by Ann Kondo Corum; copyright 2001; ISBN 1-57306-135-2 paperback.

No guarantees that this will be like the Spam Katsu atop the 7-Eleven Spam Katsu Musubi, but it's a start. (I wonder if they cook or marinate the Spam sato-shoyu style first and THEN do the breading-frying? Hmm.)
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Manö'iki
                        well, you can't!
                        an unknown, unnamed unlicensed Kalihi garage kitchen (staffed by 12 year olds and younger, of course, members of the family company...) has the exclusive rights to make 7 Eleven's Spam Katsu Musubi.

Comment

How can Mailanders hate Spam?
                          If dey do, stay 'cuz dey can.
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

How...
                            "Can Mainlanders"
                            hate spam;

they hate spam... passionately, with much complaints. why?! cuz they... Can... Mainlanders!

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                              It has me salivating...and I just made curry last night (with lots of fukujinzuke)!]
                              So Erika how does your curry differ from Korean curry? I looks different.

I make curry often I was taught by an mother of a guy I was dating.
                              It is red curry (or green) made with chicken, potatoes, tofu, and sometimes onion.It is made with water not coconut milk. OH and CARROTS too!
                              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                              Sharing withother survivors...
                              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I do not like Spam but I skimmed thread and I would taste some of these recipes! If only you cooked them I DONT hate spam, but cmon compared to something like portugese sausage-what you gonna pick? I can relate to the poster that it reminded them of hard times, when my family hit hard times, we ate chipped beef or creamed egg-both on toast, well if bread was in house! My mother acted *creative* I didnt know till I was older at the art of stretching things out thats moms do so well, and I also tht they were tasty!

I may try the low sodium spam, just to give spam one more try-but I love salt so seems pointless! Portugese sausage is something to talk about-my mom Is Polish, never eats anything but Kielbasa, until she visits me, Portugese sausage baby

Comment

Working...
                                X