X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hotdog

Originally posted by LikaNui
    Gone. Closed. R.I.P.
    Damn, that sucks. I loved going there. It was so easy cuz I lived on Kapahulu and then on Kapiolani, just past Kaimuki High School. When I used to catch TheBus or if I went walking to the post office on Kapahulu, I'd stop there. Man. Those Waffle Dogs were da grindz.

And that was my vote for this thread. Or da Pronto Pups from Kapa'a Baseball Park. My younger brothers played basbeball and every game, I would see it and hunger for it and buy one and a Teri Burger.

Originally posted by helen
    They sort of look like corn dogs (or pronto pups if you are from Kauai). Is the batter different?
    But... Pronto Pups are better than Corn Dogs, they're more sweeter.

Seriously, I'll eat Pronto Pups, but I won't touch a corn dog unless I'm desperate. Something about them Pronto Pups back home are just different.

Now I want a pronto pup and a flying saucer.
    Last edited by Manö'iki; August 19, 2006, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Damn, no delete option.

Comment

Those Hotdog-on-a-Stick uniforms are humiliating. They scream out, "My bosses hate me!"
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          Those Hotdog-on-a-Stick uniforms are humiliating. They scream out, "My bosses hate me!"
          They're by far the worst, most humiliating I've seen, I agree. I've never seen a GUY working at Hot Dog on a Stick, which makes me wonder if guys would just never get hired there because there's no male version of the uniform, (which brings about employment-law issues, I would think).
          Or ... perhaps guys just aren't drawn to work in a place that makes deep fried hot dogs and cheese ... (and zucchini and fish, too, I think).

The company REALLY needs to update its uniforms. Heck, other nationwide quick-service-restaurant chains hired hip, cool, people like P.Diddy (his fashion co.) to consult on new uni's.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I've never seen a GUY working at Hot Dog on a Stick, which makes me wonder if guys would just never get hired there because there's no male version of the uniform, (which brings about employment-law issues, I would think).
            Or ... perhaps guys just aren't drawn to work in a place that makes deep fried hot dogs and cheese ... (and zucchini and fish, too, I think).
            I have seen a GUY working there. He didn't look to happy.

However, it's kind of a brilliant marketing idea... Dress em up like clowns and everyone knows what the place is the second they see an employee.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              From the FAQ section of the website:

>>>3. What is the story behind the Hot Dog on a Stick™ hat and uniform?
              The Hot Dog on a Stick™ uniform, including the hat, was inspired by a whimsical mid-1960s trend when jockey caps and hot pants were in style. The employees say the hats, which are hand-made and customized to fit each new employee, make their jobs more fun and enable the company to attract enthusiastic, outgoing and good-natured employees, and draw attention to the store.

4. Can I get a Hot Dog on a Stick™ or Muscle Beach Lemonade & Hot Dogs™ uniform?
              We are sorry, but Hot Dog on a Stick™ and Muscle Beach Lemonade & Hot Dogs™ do not sell, lend or rent our uniforms, not even for special occasions or requests. They are reserved for our very special employees. <<<

Damn. I REALLY wanted the hat. It's even more attractive than my old nurses' cap.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                Damn. I REALLY wanted the hat. It's even more attractive than my old nurses' cap.
                Betcha there are some guys on HT that would pay money for you to put on that old nuses' cap and whites!

You know the type -- they're the hot doggers!

Hah! Back OT!
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                  Betcha there are some guys on HT that would pay money for you to put on that old nuses' cap and whites!

You know the type -- they're the hot doggers!

Hah! Back OT!
                  LOL...let's not go there. Well, maybe a decade or more ago. But who knows---maybe some here are into Grandmas with spider veins?

Eeeesh. TMI, TMI...

Back OT...puhleeeze.

Comment

Shoots. By the time I arrived at Shirokiya yesterday at 2pm, the Waffle Dogs were SOLD OUT. I should've known.

That's OK, at least I was able to chat a little with Dayton Asato, heir of the famous treat...

Dayton Asato is very happy after a weekend of sales success at Shirokiya Ala Moana. Photo by Pomai, 8.20.06

He's such a cool, down-to-earth guy! Said folks came in droves for the thing.

I dig that logo!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Here's the Okidog assembly line at this past weekend's Okinawan Festival in Waikiki...

A hot dog is placed on a soft flour tortilla, followed by a dollup of Zippy's Chili, then folded over and layered with a bed of iceburg lettuce.

Finally, a layer of Okinawan Shoyu Pork (Rafute) is placed over the lettuce, then it's folded shut typical burrito style and wrapped in aluminum foil for service.

These were selling for $6 each (via scripts). Lines were long for them, as it was for everything. Gotta' admit, this is one of the most unusual hot dog creations out there.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Of course Okinawan Festival revelers this year stood in VERY LONG lines for the Andagi and Andadogs...

Andadogs in various stages of doneness being deep fried in large woks

Perfectly done

Oishii.

Just like last year, Andadogs were $1 each.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Andadogs are prepared by bulk with popsicle sticks, then dipped in flour

Then dipped in the Andagi batter

Then deep fried until GBD by a full staff of watchful volunteers

See previous post for results of this. ~_/\
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                            Of course Okinawan Festival revelers this year stood in VERY LONG lines for the Andagi and Andadogs...
                            Actually it was the andagi lines that were super-long. The andadog line was almost nonexistent. Because they use half-dogs, each andadog was a nice snack-sized bite. I went back multiple times. Umai!

Comment

Yeah, you gotta' look carefully, because they're served out of the same booth, with a separate line for each item. When we were there, the Andagi line was really long, but the Andadog line wasn't anything to sneeze at either.

The Pig's Feet Soup was already sold out.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                                Bummers. I would hope at least ONE hot dog would be a New York Hotdog.

Kidding. Surely you meant to insert NOT in there.
                                Not a mistake -- this is just a difference between American English dialects. The original was:
                                Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                                Bear in mind that all hotdogs sold in NY are not New York Hotdogs.
                                Some (presumably including you) will understand this as logically all...(not(...)) but others (including me) will understand it as not(all...(...)). WindwardOahuRN's edited version ("...that not all hotdogs sold in NY are ...") expresses only the latter.

I'm not saying anything about correctness -- just mentioning a relevant fact of English usage that may or may not interest you.
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X