Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Oh no!!! another person on HT to make my life and spelling and pronunciation a nightmare...

You must cringe GregLee when you read my posts...

In all seriousness...

Has anyone ever had one of the A&W "Coney Island" dogs?

There pretty Ono!

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee
      Not a mistake -- this is just a difference between American English dialects. The original was:

Some (presumably including you) will understand this as logically all...(not(...)) but others (including me) will understand it as not(all...(...)). WindwardOahuRN's edited version ("...that not all hotdogs sold in NY are ...") expresses only the latter.

I'm not saying anything about correctness -- just mentioning a relevant fact of English usage that may or may not interest you.
      A hotdog sold in NY may or may not be a NY hotdog.

A hotdog sold in HI may or may not be a HI hotdog.

My original post didn't look funny to me. Still doesn't look terribly wrong. Maybe it's my NY accent?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        Oh no!!! another person on HT to make my life and spelling and pronunciation a nightmare...
        Oh no!!! Another post on HT that tries to derail a thread and make it all about Manoa...

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
          A hotdog sold in NY may or may not be a NY hotdog.

A hotdog sold in HI may or may not be a HI hotdog.

My original post didn't look funny to me. Still doesn't look terribly wrong. Maybe it's my NY accent?
          Are you a "native New Yawker?"

I've never had a Nathan's Coney Island hot dog, loaded with everything .........

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
            Are you a "native New Yawker?"

I've never had a Nathan's Coney Island hot dog, loaded with everything .........
            I was born in Queens, lived mostly on LI. I can sound amazingly like Linda Richman at times.

J/K. Maybe.

And I imagine that there probably will be a Nathan's here, someday. Might be nice on the boardwalk.

Comment

I've not had a Nathan's dog either, to my knowlege ... but I HAVE seen them eaten on TV.

Seriously, those Food Network specials about the Nathan's hot dog eating contests ... how funny is it that past winners have included skinny, short Japanese guys? I mean, they even have techniques called "A Japanese" and "A Double-Japanese," to refer to the way the dogs are eaten.

But back OT ... one of my favorite hot dogs of all time was from an Orange Julius-TYPE shop in Kona ... it had mushrooms and cheese on it and was made all the more special by the fact that my mom, my sister and I were on a girls-only trip, at a turning-point moment in our lives.

I doubt there will ever be another hot dog like that.
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Never knew hot dogs were so varied in Hawaii- and I thought the Puka Dog was the only interesting one to try there...

Just my H.O. as a NY'er- Boiled hot dogs-ewww, boiled hot dogs from any small rolling street side cart vendor in NY-potential threat to life risk.
                Grilled Nathan Hot Dogs from the store in Coney Island-decent,
                Gray's Papaya dogs from any NY location-grilled to crispy perfection- Delish! Score a lightly toasted bun to go with it- Heavenly...

A nice Hebrew Nat'l dog, grilled at home, then wrapped in a slice of cheese on toasted bun with spicy mustard and yes, a bit ketchup would be really ideal right now....

P.S. Loved your Tasty Island site Pomai-really cool!!!
                Last edited by hawaiidreamin; September 20, 2006, 08:05 AM.
                Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiidreamin View Post
                  Grilled Nathan Hot Dogs from the store in Coney Island-decent
                  The Little Caesars pizza concession at the Nimitz KMart recently started offering Nathan's Hot Dogs, which I just had to try...

They're presented quite simply wrapped in Little Caesar's Napkin's (which were removed for this photo) and placed in Nathan's logo take-out box. That's kinda' cool. The combo included a small drink for about $2.00.

Ironically The Travel Channel just aired a show the other night which featured Nathan's original Coney Island, New York Hot Dog mega-stand, which I've never been before.

Based on that TV segment, what was noticeably different from the Coney Island original was that theirs were grilled on a flat top vs. the Kmart concession version were simply warm-cooked on a hot dog rotational heat roller. Also, the Coney Island dogs stuck out the ends of the bun a bit vs. these were actually SHORTER than the bun (see photo). The bun themselves tasted like off-the-shelf Loves Bakery variety (Correct me if I'm wrong), kept warm and supple, not toasted.

The dog itself is about the same diameter as Costco, but about an inch shorter. It has a nice firmness to it and quite simply, BEEFY with a slight hint of spice to it. Very nice.

I tried a bite or two without any condiments just to get the flavor of the dog, but simply with mustard was the way to go, IMO. Ketchup and relish was overkill.

I was content eating the equivalent of just one. Amazing how that Japanese guy could eat 60.

It'd be interesting to hear what NY transplants here have to say about this Hawaii Kmart exported version of Nathan's famous.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    The dog itself is about the same diameter as Costco, but about an inch shorter. It has a nice firmness to it and quite simply, BEEFY with a slight hint of spice to it. Very nice.
                    With the exception of a couple of words ("dog" and "Costco"), that sounds very similar to something my ex-wife, Plaintiff, would say.

Oh, quit groaning, folks. You know you were thinking the same thing!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It'd be interesting to hear what NY transplants here have to say about this Hawaii Kmart exported version of Nathan's famous.
                      Uh-oh.

Judging by the description these seem like the Nathan's hotdogs that are available in the supermarkets here.

Since Foodland has started carrying Boar's Head hotdogs with the natural casing I've bought only those, except for when my grandkids were here. I bought Nathan's skinless for the youngest one---the natural casing hotdogs are a bit of a challenge for two-year-olds.

I found the Nathan's hotdogs to be flavorful and they had a decent texture but they were so SALTY! I could almost feel my rings getting tighter as I ate the Nathan's dogs.

They're okay though---garlicky, not mushy, and (ducking) not fluorescent pink.

Boar's Head will always be my favorite, I think, with Sabrett running about even.

Comment

Star Market in Kalihi had Nathan's Famous for a while and I tried them. Good dogs, but too salty for my taste (and I love salty). It's also still got Hebrew National dogs in a few varieties, and I like those a lot better.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Antonio's New York Style Pizzeria in Kahala now sells Nathan's Hot Dogs too.

Comment

Safeway Mililani sells both Nathan's and Hebrew Nat'l. Don't really like either, Nathan's too salty and HN no taste, but the my brother just moved back from LI with his family and they like the HN hotdogs. They even brought some back one time, then I told them that I can get these from Tamura's in Wahiawa. Btw, they have the best prices on HN. Personally, I like the Polish dogs at Costco and OM's premium dogs. Used to eat Millers a lot, but their prices went through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                              Safeway Mililani sells both Nathan's and Hebrew Nat'l. Don't really like either, Nathan's too salty and HN no taste, but the my brother just moved back from LI with his family and they like the HN hotdogs. They even brought some back one time, then I told them that I can get these from Tamura's in Wahiawa. Btw, they have the best prices on HN. Personally, I like the Polish dogs at Costco and OM's premium dogs. Used to eat Millers a lot, but their prices went through the roof.
                              IMO, Miller's natural casing hotdogs are the next best dog available here after Boar's Head. I used to buy them before BH came to Hawaii.

A bit softer texture than BH but good flavor and that great snap of the natural casing.

Comment

The Little Caesars pizza concession at the Nimitz KMart recently started offering Nathan's Hot Dogs, which I just had to try...

They're presented quite simply wrapped in Little Caesar's Napkin's (which were removed for this photo) and placed in Nathan's logo take-out box. That's kinda' cool. The combo included a small drink for about $2.00.

Ironically The Travel Channel just aired a show the other night which featured Nathan's original Coney Island, New York Hot Dog mega-stand, which I've never been before.
                                I've been there....it's really OLD....The french fries are really also famous there...greasy, salty...served up with this tiny little pitchforks...good stuff.

This dogs don't look like the Nathan's ones, which are skinnier and curved, with that crunchy skin that I never liked.

I prefer the supermarket, soft skinned ones, when I eat hot dogs, which is maybe twice a year.
                                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X