• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
    Like I said, no accountin' for taste...
    Bear in mind that all hotdogs sold in NY are not New York Hotdogs.
    Geez. First you insult me, then you infer that I'm an ignorant schmuck.

Let me put it this way. Been to New York. Had the NY DELI-STYLE HOTDOGS. Ain't that great.

I'll go back to the Big Apple to visit friends and partake in other activities unique to the area. But for the weiners? Nah.

I do just fine with a smokie from Great Hawaiian. Just as good, if not better, than what you can get in New York, Chicago, L.A. or wherever else on the mainland. Has nothing to do with what I ate as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      I too love attitude with good character behind it, as you mentioned. Dig it.

Hopefully you were treated as nice as any Joe Shmoe, and not just because they knew you were a newspaper reporter. Or did they?

Still, I do have major sympathy for those who work in the restaurant and hospitality industry. My girlfriend is one of them. It's hard, hard work and there WILL be some bad days that go along with the good.

Back to the dogs...
      I don't think he knew who I was ... I worked in radio back then and didn't have my face out there so much.
      I didn't notice any difference in the way I was treated, versus, say, the previous customer and the next customer ... definitely a valid question, however.
      Back OT, I'm gonna clean out the fridge, make a menu plan for the week -- and grocery shop. Even though WWORN said the deliveries come on Tuesdays, I'll check for Boar's Head doggies today, just in case, cause now I'm all curious to try 'em.
      Last edited by Erika Engle; August 5, 2006, 12:58 PM. Reason: Somehow I answered initially ABOVE the quote. Minerva!
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Bear in mind that all hotdogs sold in NY are not New York Hotdogs.
        Bummers. I would hope at least ONE hot dog would be a New York Hotdog.

Kidding. Surely you meant to insert NOT in there.

Just wanted to say thanks for visiting my blog. Now take them NY dogs you've got out of the freezer and head out to Lanikai beach so you can grill 'em up!

Have a fun Saturday HT gang! Aloha.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
          Geez. First you insult me, then you infer that I'm an ignorant schmuck.
          Jeez, you're mighty delicate.

Take care next time you're in NY...

Comment

Yeah, well, there ain't no accountin' for taste.

Toss you up against any street vendor in NY and you would just wither, fold, and die.

Nothing personal. I must say you might do quite well here. Just don't even think of crossing the Pacific.

That some attitude you have, you should have left it at the airport.

I have had a hotdog from NY street vendor and while the hotdog itself was good, it wasn't anything to jump for joy over.

Comment

Bummers. I would hope at least ONE hot dog would be a New York Hotdog.

Kidding. Surely you meant to insert NOT in there.

Just wanted to say thanks for visiting my blog. Now take them NY dogs you've got out of the freezer and head out to Lanikai beach so you can grill 'em up!

Have a fun Saturday HT gang! Aloha.
              LOL---fixed the error---thanks!

Comment

Jeez, you're mighty delicate.

Take care next time you're in NY...
                Nope. Keep insulting me. This will be fun.

I do just fine in New York. Take care next time you're in Waianae. Or Palolo housing.

And to return to my original point: New York sausage ain't that special.

Comment

Can we keep in mind that we're just talking about our personal favorite hot dogs and not engage in meanness?

Aaaaaanyway ... I found Boar's Head Hot Dogs at Foodland Kailua yesterday -- 7 in the pack, not quite one pound.

I was planning a low-key, family celebration -- to mark a special day in the life of my 18-year-old son -- so I also bought additional, cheaper hot dogs (because 7 dogs for a family of 5 just weren't going to cut it).

I figured I'd grill the Boar's Head dogs, as WwORN recommended and serve them "straight up" -- and that I'd turn the regular (cheap) hot dogs into Madison Dogs:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_5419,00.html

My eldest has been ono for this treat for awhile (you'll see that it's not something anyone should eat often), so I thought I would combine my curiosity about the Boar's Head dogs with his onos and we'd have a hot dog feast.

The self-proclaimed Coney Island dogs were really good. The "snap" was there, the flavor was there, etc. I'm sure the whole experience of buying them from a real NYC street vendor would make them even better! I'm not a fan of basic yellow mustard, (unless it's mixed with mayonnaise, like the "Yellow Sauce" at the old Bob's Drive-In, near Hilo High). So, I used just a smidge of dijon mustard. The ketchup-holic kids did, what to WwORN, is probably unthinkable. I shan't go into detail, lest she shudder.

I posted earlier, a fond memory about the bright red dogs WwORN doesn't like ... I won't repeat it here, but that fond memory was less about the flavor of the dogs than the whole "moment" they were involved in. I even bought them, to try to replicate that moment for my kids, but it didn't work -- not even for ME.

Comment

LOL, Erika---let the kids decorate the dogs as they please. Ketchup is fine, as long as no snooty-ass Noo Yawkers are watching. I'd gladly pass the ketchup bottle, as long as the kids were happy.

"Madison Dogs"? I gotta smile again. My mom used to make dogs just like this but in the oven, not on the grill. I don't remember what we called them, but when I clicked on Emeril's recipe I just had to smile.

Ours were not quite as fancy---we stuck Velveeta in the slits of the hotdogs.

They were greasy, salty, and definitely not for the health-conscious. Good, though...

Comment

*publicly confessing*
                      I LOVE Velveeta.
                      We didn't have it in the house when I was growing up, but when I finally did get to try it, I was hooked.
                      I remember finding a recipe I wanted to try with it and going to buy it -- and WHOA! Buggah's expensive!
                      I talked with my sister-in-law about it and we recalled that when we were growing up it had this stigma of being "poor-people food" and now, based on price it is like, a luxury item!
                      I prefer natural cheeses for most things, but for certain other uses, you just can't beat Velveeta for its ease of use and naughty, guilty-pleasure taste, texture, etc. (sigh) Now I've got onos.
                      Back OT, I've used Velveeta to stuff hot dogs as well, and loved every bad-for-me bite!
                      Last edited by Erika Engle; August 19, 2006, 08:32 AM. Reason: Steering back OT ...

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                        *publicly confessing*
                        I LOVE Velveeta.
                        We didn't have it in the house when I was growing up, but when I finally did get to try it, I was hooked.
                        I remember finding a recipe I wanted to try with it and going to buy it -- and WHOA! Buggah's expensive!
                        I talked with my sister-in-law about it and we recalled that when we were growing up it had this stigma of being "poor-people food" and now, based on price it is like, a luxury item!
                        I prefer natural cheeses for most things, but for certain other uses, you just can't beat Velveeta for its ease of use and naughty, guilty-pleasure taste, texture, etc. (sigh) Now I've got onos.
                        Back OT, I've used Velveeta to stuff hot dogs as well, and loved every bad-for-me bite!
                        LOL---I just bought a box of Velveeta for the first time in years. I too was shocked at the price. The big one was on sale and only about a dollar more than the smaller one so I went for it.

We always had it in the house when we were kids. "Real cheese" was too expensive. Maybe it really was "poor-people food"? I never thought we were poor but since my parents grew up during the depression they tended to be a bit frugal.

Or maybe we had it just because it tastes good. It's also easier to cook with than "real" cheese. Melts without clumping or getting stringy, blends easily into sauces. I like throwing chunks of it into hot tomato soup. Wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches. Great for giving dogs pills, too---just mold it into a ball around the pill.

Versatile stuff. A little scary that it is sold unrefrigerated and seems to last forever in the fridge. It never seems to get moldy, either. I remember finding a small hunk of it in the back of a drawer in the refrigerator. It was old, really old. No mold, no slime. Just a weird crust of salt crystals covering the whole piece.

Comment

[A little scary that it is sold unrefrigerated and seems to last forever in the fridge. It never seems to get moldy, either. I remember finding a small hunk of it in the back of a drawer in the refrigerator. It was old, really old. No mold, no slime. Just a weird crust of salt crystals covering the whole piece.]

Yeah that IS scary. Just try not to think about it.

Your tomato soup idea would go over really well in my household!
                          My reflux would rule out my participation ... (or at least, rule out a large helping ) ...

Comment

F-Y-I: Shirokiya (Ala Moana) advertised in Midweek that this weekend, August 19 & 20, they'll be featuring the original KC Drive-In Waffle Dog.

Also a reminder that the Okinawan Festival (home of the Andadog!) is just around the corner in September on Labor Day weekend.

What a coincidence, with all the talk here lately about sweet & savory.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

F-Y-I: Shirokiya (Ala Moana) advertised in Midweek that this weekend, August 19 & 20, they'll be featuring the original KC Drive-In Waffle Dog.

Also a reminder that the Okinawan Festival (home of the Andadog!) is just around the corner in September on Labor Day weekend.

What a coincidence, with all the talk here lately about sweet & savory.
                              Anybody here ever tried those hotdogs-on-a-stick at Windward Mall?

Oh no. I just looked at the website. They have CHEESE on a stick, too!

http://hotdogonastick.com/frames.html

Comment

Anybody here ever tried those hotdogs-on-a-stick at Windward Mall?
                                Oh no. I just looked at the website. They have CHEESE on a stick, too!
                                http://hotdogonastick.com/frames.html
                                It's definitely a treat! ... and man oh man, that cheese on a stick!!!
                                When my daughter was in preschool or kindergarten we stopped there for a snack ... and I told her that when she was "in my tummy, I used to love to eat these" referring to my cheese on a stick.
                                She looked up at me with her big brown eyes, a look of concern on her sweet little face, and she asked me, "and did I get messy?"
                                Omigosh I felt so bad for laughing ... but that was one of the funniest things she'd ever said (up to that point in her life).
                                There's also one at Pearlridge, I believe. There may be others, as well.
                                Last edited by Erika Engle; August 19, 2006, 01:44 PM. Reason: punctuation, additional locations.

Comment

Working...
                                X