Who has an iPod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who has an iPod?

Wow. I didn't realize they were readily available at places other than Apple. Thanks, all.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

TutuSue, you - along with Aunty Lynn - are probably the hippest Tutu's in town. I love your "technically challenged - yet I try" stories!

My mother is the type who looks at anything electronic beyond a TV remote as if it's some sort of scientific device that requires a college degree to operate. On the other hand, my father was fluent in DOS while most peers his age (76) were clueless to anything remotely related to computing.

Back to iPod, I think in a way Apple stuck it to the radio industry by not only swaying listenership towards personal MP3's, but by not including an FM Tuner on most models.

While I generally dislike radio talk trash and commercials, something makes me feel isolated from society when I listen to personal music such as CD's or MP3's. I feel better when the experience is a shared one.
      Last edited by Pomai; May 20, 2006, 02:59 PM.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
        Okay, someone edited my poll. I just want to know who has an iPod (it seems to have a cult following on the other forums I posted this at), as the topic question reflected that.
        Warning: This post might be off-topic and some people might take issue or offense at what I am saying.

First off I didn't edited the poll, I don't have the privileges to do so.

Secondly, I been sort of noticing that when you make a poll you tend not to give a "No opinion" or "Don't care" option (if anyone wants to discuss this issue further I suggest making a seperate topic).

Thirdly, had you made the poll just a simple Yes or No (in other words 2 choices), then what I said on the second point can be ignored.

Fourthly, I was slightly puzzled at the orginal poll that had the following
        options (order and text maybe slightly different):
        • Yes
        • Yes, and I have portable MP3 player
        • No

why ignore the possibilty of not having an iPod but have someother MP3 player?

Fifth, I originally answered "No" to the poll and then added my post to this thread saying I don't have another MP3 player. Now I go to the poll, while my "No" is still recorded as such, it italize the choice "Yes, and I have another portable MP3/music player." as being the choice I made, which I didn't make.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          Oh, and I discovered earlier today that when a video is stopped, it resumes at that spot when turned on again...just like songs! Duh on me!
          You mean DVD's right? I think that works as long as you don't remove the DVD disc from the player.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            You mean DVD's right? I think that works as long as you don't remove the DVD disc from the player.
            No, not DVDs; rather, videos on the video iPod. Sorry for the confusion. My comment was in reference to a question I posted further up this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
              TutuSue, you - along with Aunty Lynn - are probably the hippest Tutu's in town. I love your "technically challenged - yet I try" stories!

My mother is the type who looks at anything electronic beyond a TV remote as if it's some sort of scientific device that requires a college degree to operate. On the other hand, my father was fluent in DOS while most peers his age (76) were clueless to anything remotely related to computing.

Back to iPod, I think in a way Apple stuck it to the radio industry by not only swaying listenership towards personal MP3's, but by not including an FM Tuner on most models.

While I generally dislike radio talk trash and commercials, something makes me feel isolated from society when I listen to personal music such as CD's or MP3's. I feel better when the experience is a shared one.
              Thanks for the compliment, Pomai, but my guess is that the local Mac users group is a bit tired of my stories; rather, my questions!!! Just when I "get" something, be it hardware or software, technology changes and I have to start all over again.

I still feel the need to occasionally tune in to local radio in my car. I don't get reception in my office or at home which is why I need a separate sound system. That said (waving to all of you radio people!), because I love jazz I found some really good stations thru iTunes. Hmmm, that reminds me...it's time to see what Mahlon Moore is up to. I loved his program at, what was it...101.9, at least a decade ago.

BTW...when my dad passed 3 years ago, he still had a beta-max VCR and ONE tape that he used 5 nights a week to tape Johnny Carson, then Jay Leno!

Now I have to hele on to Hawaii Kai to get my hair WHACK WHACKed! Hear that, Aunty Lynn?

Comment

I edited the poll, to rephrase it slightly and account for another possible answer. I sent Adrian a PM. I guess I changed it after Helen's first response; if Helen can't change the answer selected, I'll get it sorted out behind the scenes.

Comment

Nope, I can't, the count for No is still there through.

Comment

Costco is probably a good bet. Either the iPod is priced cheaper, or more likely, some extra goodie is thrown in as a bonus. I generally recommend Apple Care for any expensive Apple product, but I think you can order that separately (such as when you log on to register your iPod).

Note that if it's a gift, the engraving is a nice touch. But to get that you'd have to order online, pay list, and allow a week for delivery.

Comment

Alas, I don't have a Costco membership. We do have access to the Navy Exchange, though, and they have the iPod nanos. Apparently the Mini is no longer being manufactured, the Exchange people say. Is that true?

Prices at the Exchange, btw, aren't much different from all the other options mentioned in this thread. Maybe $4-$5 cheaper.

Comment

The iPod Mini was discontinued last year after the iPod Nano was introduced.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks, Mel. The Exchange kid had the right info, then. That inspires a little confidence in the store's credibility, anyway.

Comment

I bought an iPod Nano when it came out and I thought it was great. Then a few weeks later they came out with their 5G iPod that supported video playback. I've since learned how to hack the Nano to play video, although the screen is entirely too small. I did not use either one of them too much because I drive and commute more than anything. So I bought a variety of FM transmitters that I didn't like at all and plus the FM band here is so congested. So I bought an iPod adapter for my vehicle deck which works great! For the geeks out there I posted an article on my site .

Comment

I got my one and only iPod - 3G, 15 GB - two years ago. I've always liked the touch wheel more than the click wheel, but I suppose that's because that's what I'm used to using. The battery's starting to crap out on me; if I use the wheel too much (and I always have the backlight off) it dies before I get to Wai'anae from town on TheBus.

I've thought about getting a 5G iPod, but dropping another $269 (student price) and the highly likely possibility of another revision on Apple's part always holds me back. And, of course, I question the necessity of buying another iPod, even though I think the video playback capability is cool.

What do you guys think? Should I get a new iPod now, or wait a little longer?

BTW, I know RadioShack sells iPods and accessories, too, though they tend to jack the prices up. I usually just go to the Apple Store for the student discount.
                              Last edited by liberty; May 27, 2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liberty
                                [...]What do you guys think? Should I get a new iPod now, or wait a little longer?[...]
                                I, too, have the 3G, 15 gb iPod and really had no interest in the 5G video version. Then, I realized I could keep my thousands of talent photos on the 5G, which meant easy access anywhere, esp. if I'm on location.

With that in mind, my company bought the video iPod. I still don't have my talent photos on it yet 'cuz I'm having too much fun with videos!

Realistically, Liberty, replacing the 3G's battery might make better financial sense. I'm remembering you're not that far out of high school! Yes, the photo and video features of the 5G are very cool, but...hmmm...I'm sounding like a mother so I'll keep quiet now!

BTW...I was in the Radio Shack in Waianae recently and noticed the iHome was at least $25. more than it was/is at Costco.

I vote for keeping your 3G unless you have a bunch of spare cash just burning a hole in your wallet. Then, again, you could always list the 3G on eBay.

Comment

Working...
                                X