Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Cafeteria Memories

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    why would ancient souls want to wash dishes? I think it's the rats climbing over all the utensils.
    Ugh. I'd rather have the ghosts.

Comment

Oh man, there's this one standout embarassing cafeteria moment; it was sometime during elementary school but I can't remember the exact grade level. I was sitting at the table with my friends, who were pounding their milk cartons flat. So I decided to copy them... but I was too naive to realize there was still milk in mine, so... kahplooey! I got chocolate milk all over me. Ah, good times.

Comment

Originally posted by liberty
        Oh man, there's this one standout embarassing cafeteria moment; it was sometime during elementary school but I can't remember the exact grade level. I was sitting at the table with my friends, who were pounding their milk cartons flat. So I decided to copy them... but I was too naive to realize there was still milk in mine, so... kahplooey! I got chocolate milk all over me. Ah, good times.
        Oh, wow! You guys had chocolate milk?! We only ever had the plain kind.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

My aunties tell me that way back when, schools offered choice of plain, chocolate or strawberry milk. One aunty said because she was too slow she usually got stuck with plain milk all the time.

Comment

When I was at Kula Elementary the cafeteria lady was named Mrs. Ono. No joke. And actually most of the food was decent. Pig in a blanket ruled (the blanket was almost like manapua bread), as did the baked macaroni. Mulligan stew was on the menu too often for some reason. And her chow fun was legendary.

I dreaded working in the cafeteria despite the lures of skipping a class. It did cut into recess. I don't think I was cut out for the food service industry, and the cafeteria ladies fed on this. I usually had to wash dishes. Only once did I get to serve food, and was loudly lambasted by Mrs. Ono, who served "the main dish," for being too slow or not putting the right amount of peas on the plate.

People would get totally busted for tossing thier forks into the food leftover buckets. Some dude from a nearby piggery would come by every afternoon to get the food to serve to his swine. Anyone caught throwing a fork in there was told "EH! No throw da fork inside the slop! Da pig going die, and it's going be your fault!"

We had the menus pre-printed each week off those funky machines that had a big drum, smelled weird, and printed with purple ink (can't for the life of me remember what those we're called). So we could "plan" if we needed the legendary "double lunch." "Ho, you going get double lunch?"

Some guy tried to buy "triple lunch" once, but was denied.

Those were the days...

Comment

Most fondly, I remember the food fights.
              I also remember those small pats of butter that we'd flip up in the air until they stuck on the cafeteria ceiling, only to fall back down later onto the heads of some poor unsuspecting souls.
              And I remember when several of us carried a teacher's Volkswagen into the cafeteria and set it on top of several tables pushed together in the middle of the cafeteria.
              It made a nice centerpiece for lunch that day.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai

Speaking of cafeteria dishware, I heard King Intermediate's cafeteria in Kaneohe is haunted. If you go there at night, you can hear the forks and knives clanging, as if someone's washing them. Something about the school being built on ancient burial grounds.
                Dont know about da cafeteria I stoped eating luch in 7th an 8th grade to save money to go to da mall on Fridays... but da C building at King is Haunted, get plany kine storeis about that building
                Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by dick

I don't think I was cut out for the food service industry, and the cafeteria ladies fed on this. I usually had to wash dishes.

We had the menus pre-printed each week off those funky machines that had a big drum, smelled weird, and printed with purple ink (can't for the life of me remember what those we're called).
                  You and I were in the same boat as far as having to wash dishes all the time. I don't remember ever being allowed to serve food, but that also suited me fine as I really didn't like the idea of one of those grouchy japanee old ladies watching over my shoulder all ready to yell, "Boysan!! That's too much food!!"

Corn chowder was my all-time favorite food, along with the cheese sticks and shortbread cookies.

And I also remember those aromatic antiquated mimeograph machines quite well after becoming quite an expert at using them at one point while attending UH Manoa back in 19*2.

Comment

Well since i work at a school..I still have lots of school lunch stories....but during elementary school and high school didn't really care for lots of the lunches...although some of them i especially like.....Even now I will definetly get school lunch when they have roast turkey, beef stew, Oven baked chicken, or even chicken patty...kinda sucks now cuz school lunch for adults is $3...i remember when school lunch for kids was 50cents..
                    'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      You and I were in the same boat as far as having to wash dishes all the time. I don't remember ever being allowed to serve food, but that also suited me fine as I really didn't like the idea of one of those grouchy japanee old ladies watching over my shoulder all ready to yell, "Boysan!! That's too much food!!"

Corn chowder was my all-time favorite food, along with the cheese sticks and shortbread cookies.

And I also remember those aromatic antiquated mimeograph machines quite well after becoming quite an expert at using them at one point while attending UH Manoa back in 19*2.

ummm, 1902???????

when we had lunch duty, we could get juice and cookies instead of regular milk. i hated school lunches! it was interesting...to say the least

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree

ummm, 1902???????

Comment

I liked shredded turkey in the gravy but i remember more of the bad food like the gross sponge pizza with the little square pepperoni, the pastrami on bun i can still smell it. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                            My aunties tell me that way back when, schools offered choice of plain, chocolate or strawberry milk. One aunty said because she was too slow she usually got stuck with plain milk all the time.
                            Long time ago? Jeez all the way up to high school (grad 1978) we only had white milk.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Oh yeah, I think in the 50s (but no tell my aunties I said that).

Comment

All through my six years at Heeia elementary in Kaneohe during the seventies, lunch was 25 cents and extra milk (I only remember whole homogenized being available; no chocolate) was 10 cents.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X