• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any good books?

"Any Good Books", huh?

Well, I got this cool book...
    Author is: Lee M. Silver
    Title: Remaking Eden.
    It has 385 pages, which includes the index pages.
    It starts off from Boston in the year: 2010

Sounds rather interesting &
    at the sametime, to me it sounds
    like it came out of a Sci Fi movie.

Not sure if any one is interested in that or not,
    But it seems rather interesting enough.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Just finished: Sam's letters to Jennifer by James Patterson. Kind of like his other book...can't remember the name (another senior moment). Am starting a book called: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, it won the Pulitzer Prize. Seems "heavy" reading as compared to the other mentioned book. Anyone read it? Comments?
      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
        Whoever has a copy of the Weekly: please share details of the book Albert's referring to.
        Although the front page of the Weekly says the review is on page 14, it's actually on page 15. And the book is Clay's Way by Blair Mastbaum. It's the story of Sam, a 16-year-old gay haole from Haiku Village.
        Books about Hawaii edited by Los Angelenos make their own errors: Here ti leaves is changed to "tea leaves" and Portlock becomes "Port Lock." But the story is authentic, and Sam is breathing, living human being speaking directly to us, even providing us with some lousy-to-good haiku, to boot.

Comment

So, has anyone bought the 9/11 Commission report?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
            So, has anyone bought the 9/11 Commission report?
            I bought what I think was the next-to-last copy at Borders Express (formerly Waldenbooks) at Pearlridge at 10:45am today.

If you want it in PDF format, you can find it at the commission's website. I can't imagine (or rather, I can imagine, so I don't want to) scrolling through 550+ pages in Acrobat Reader, but...
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

"scrolling through 550+ pages in Acrobat Reader, but..."

Now there's a major nightmare.

Comment

Not long ago I read this awesome book by Nana Veary called "Change We Must". It's an amazing book about her life in Hawaii, the old days and how the Hawaiians used to live, her spiritual journey and so on. She speaks about metaphysical truths that can be applied practically to daily life and also adds guided meditations for morning and evening. It felt almost like reading the Dalai Lama. I strongly recommend this book!!

Comment

Aloha e Aleno. I have to plug James Michener's Hawaii. It's fiction, written in the 50's, so I don't know how it jives with accurate history, but it is a fantastic read. It begins with the volcanic formation of the islands and ends somewhere post-Annexation (I'm not sure if it touches on statehood or not). I'm working on it right now. I've been documenting my thoughts on segments of the novel as I go, and you can read them here and here, if you like.

From what I understand, there was also a movie based on the book, but I haven't seen it, and I'm not sure if its any good.
                  ~'Ailina

Comment

"From what I understand, there was also a movie based on the book, but I haven't seen it, and I'm not sure if its any good."

It isn't.

Comment

I saw the movie version of Hawaii. It was good. It focused on the early 19th century arrival of the missionaries.

Comment

"I saw the movie version of Hawaii. It was good."

Liked the "Sound of Music", too, didn't you?

Comment

I ran across this in a medical newsletter. "Plague and Fire: Battling Black Death and the 1900 Burning of Honolulu's Chinatown" (Oxford University Press, 2004) represents the culmination of a project that was sparked about 20 years ago when Mohr spotted a simple sign while walking in Honolulu's modern Chinatown.

It tells the story of how the not-yet-territorial government turned control of the city over to public health officials to fight the bubonic plague outbreak of that year. Looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            I ran across this in a medical newsletter. "Plague and Fire: Battling Black Death and the 1900 Burning of Honolulu's Chinatown" (Oxford University Press, 2004) represents the culmination of a project that was sparked about 20 years ago when Mohr spotted a simple sign while walking in Honolulu's modern Chinatown.

It tells the story of how the not-yet-territorial government turned control of the city over to public health officials to fight the bubonic plague outbreak of that year. Looks interesting.
                            Sounds interesting. However, if it's set in 1900, then isn't it incorrect to call it the "not-yet-territorial" government? I thought the Territory of Hawai'i was established in 1898.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Sounds interesting. However, if it's set in 1900, then isn't it incorrect to call it the "not-yet-territorial" government? I thought the Territory of Hawai'i was established in 1898.
                              Yeah, I mistyped that. Here's the review:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/?newsid=16556

Comment

Peter Moon mentions the 1900 Chinatown fire in his song, "Chinatown":

The ships arrived from the seven seas
                                Bringing black market gold and the black disease
                                See the rats scatter, smell the kerosene
                                You can smell Hell burning and times are lean
                                In Chinatown...

Comment

Working...
                                X