Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

I'm a meat lover, but honestly don't usually notice the difference if the vegetarian version of Zippy's chili is being served. They're both good.

Comment

Pomai, I was debating wat to have for dinner. Your picture looked so ono I somehow tasted the Zippy's Chili on my taste buds. Only thing, I prefer the meat version. I going order a side Macaroni Salad with dat! Yummy!

I'm off to Vineyard Zippy's!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Here on the Big Island there is this rumor that Cafe 100 and Zippy's had a "gentleman's agreement" that Zippy's wouldn't compete in the same market as Cafe 100. I think it's time to be ungentlemanlike as Cafe 100's food SUCKS BIG TIME and those from the Big Island who think otherwise need to check out some of Honolulu's hole in the walls for some great tasting grinds.

I'm still trying to find good eats here. Island Infusion is good.

But back to chili, when I was living in Honolulu several years ago I had an opportunity to participate in a market survey where we were put in a focus group by a marketing company and they asked us questions such as: Do you think they should serve Zippy's Chili during UH sports at the stadiums? Do you think Zippy's should be cross merchandised at places such as 7-Eleven? Would you buy frozen Zippy's chili from a supermarket or fresh at a non-competing fast food establishment such as Taco Bell?

I said, "Hell yeah to all of them" We got $50 cash for participating. Now I can get Zippy's chili at KTA and at Taco Bell here on the Big Island. But oh how I wish Zippy's would come here as a restaurant. I think they'd give Ken's Pancake house a real run for their money. Can you believe we only have one Jack in the Box and Burger King here in East Hawaii? Unbelievable. On Oahu you'll find Jack every two miles it seems.

As for transporting chili, once back in the late 70's I saw this big aluminum panel van pull up to the Makiki Zippy's and unload this huge pot of chili to the back entrance.

Anyway the veggie chili is pretty good. When I used to buy benefit chili, I used to buy four tickets and tell them to put it in one bucket (four one pounders = one bucket). I'd tell them to put two regular and two veggie orders in the same bucket. The veggies makes for a really hearty chili when mixed with the regular chili.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Is Cafe 100 that little hole-in-the-wall place, that serves up real corned beef and cabbage, on thursdays? I LOVED that place!

I used to go there, with my Hilo Landlady, Mildred DeLima. Can't find too many places like that, anymore.

Mildred DeLima (passed, and sadly missed) was half Japanese, and half Portuguese. I took her, many years ago, to Portugal. We took the train, from Biarritz, France, to Porto, and then made our way down to Lisbon.

The poverty and standard of living was a real eye-opener. The hostels, where we stayed, were usually just private homes, the occupants of the beds evicted, for us paying guests. One little lady, in Nazareth, actually grabbed us off the train, and dragged us to her place...we ended up buying quite a lot of the exquisite handmade crochet, that she had made for sale, in order to boost her meager income.

Everybody looked so familiar...Mildred would say, "Dat guy looks just like Blackie Mendoza", or "Isn't she the spitting image of Mary Gonzalves?". Porto was beautiful, but gray and bleak...except for the houses, which were completely covered, on the outside, with beautiful blue and white ceramic tiles, each about 5" square.

Every square inch of available space was planted with a garden, and every one had the tall, leafy Kale cabbage...for caldo Verde, the 'green soup', served at most meals, before the meat course.

Oops...sorry, getting carried away...back to Zippy's...
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            Well, to begin with, I ordered one today and took a photo for you!...

I would describe Zippy's Vegetarian Chili as being meaty in an earthy kind of way, most likely from the abundance of sliced mushrooms in it. The Chili flavor is pronounced, yet its spicy edge is considered mild, as is a hint of sweetness. There's also what looks like ground boca (soy-based) burger which gives it the simulated texture of ground beef, without the heaviness of it. Enough that it would have most carnivores fooled in this disguise. There's also an abundance of perfectly tender kidney beans, corn and small chopped pieces of bell peppers, celery and onion.

i-Hungry is right... you'll have to try it and be your own judge. For what it's worth, I think it's great... especially on those days when you crave something heavy, but should be eating light.
            Wow--your description was almost as good as eating it myself. I guess I'll have to try it the next time my book club meets at Zippy's! Thanks for such a thorough response. Only on HT, right?

Comment

I agree with Craig about Cafe 100. It may be the mythical (or even real) creator of the Loco Moco, but it is not very good and it's closed on Sunday. It may have sixty varieties of loco, but none of them is very good.

Eat at Blane's instead, if you want a good loco.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Never understood the appeal of Cafe 100's loco mocos either. I'm a Ken's guy myself.

Oh! Um. Er, Zippy's Chili. Say, Scriv, why not just e-mail the customer service address at Zippys.com and ask if there's a difference between the packed-for-shipping and restaurant chili formulas?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  Can you believe we only have one Jack in the Box and Burger King here in East Hawaii? Unbelievable. On Oahu you'll find Jack every two miles it seems.
                  .....and no Wendy's too Craig Wendy's has good chili(not good enough to drive 100 miles to Kona).
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    On Oahu you'll find Jack every two miles it seems.
                    No Jack in the Box in Palolo... or Kaimuki. Or all of East Honolulu, for that matter. Gotta go over to Kapahulu, or points Ewa.

Lots of small, hole-in-the-wall restaurants up Waialae, though...

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                      .....and no Wendy's too Craig Wendy's has good chili(not good enough to drive 100 miles to Kona).
                      There USED to be a Wendy's in Hilo ... on Kilauea Ave., mauka of Kaiko'o Mall. My sister worked there, after I moved to Oahu.
                      She said all the overdone burgers from the grill wound up in the chili.
                      Maybe that's why there USED to be a Wendy's in Hilo?

I think the place where Wendy's WAS, previously housed other fast-food concepts, as I remember dashing out of then-neighboring KIPA-AM to grab a slice or two of pizza during my board-op shift on weekends.

I'm a Ken's loco-moco devotee as well. I don't remember ever eating one at Cafe 100, but I remember seeing a guy eating a DOUBLE loco-moco he'd ordered at K's Drive Inn (by Kadota's Liquors).
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                        I remember seeing a guy eating a DOUBLE loco-moco he'd ordered at K's Drive Inn (by Kadota's Liquors).
                        During my first semester in Hilo, especially those first weeks when I was still waiting for my student-loan check, K's was a lifesaver. It had single locos for just over a buck-fifty, I think (this was in 1993). One scoop or rice, one thin shoe-leather patty, one egg, lots of pretty decent gravy. I never liked the food there, but I liked the prices enough to keep going back in those lonely first days. I didn't have a car, and I lived across the river, so K's was a nice place to stop on my way home in the rain after that last Japanese class.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

While we're drifting on the Loco Moco, Big City Diner's REALLY LOCO, LOCO MOCO is excellent. A HUGE 1/2 lb. GRILLED burger and egg on rice with one of the best brown gravies I've tried in recent memory. All topped with tasty caremelized onions. Just $6 bucks is a pretty good deal considering the portions and great taste.

Back to Chili (and value), nobody can beat the CHILI DOG PLATE from Richie's Drive Inn on N. King st. across the post office near Farrington HS. For just $3.85 you get a huge serving of their house-made (no pre-processed bags) Chili, TWO hot dogs, 2 scoops rice, mac salad AND a small drink! Their Chili can be described as intense in flavor. Simple as that. Richie used to be the cook for many years at Rainbow Drive Inn back in their glory days. Richie's is also the ONLY place I've seen where you can order a plate lunch at a drive-through window.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

While we're drifting on the Loco Moco, Big City Diner's REALLY LOCO, LOCO MOCO is excellent. A HUGE 1/2 lb. GRILLED burger and egg on rice with one of the best brown gravies I've tried in recent memory. All topped with tasty caremelized onions. Just $6 bucks is a pretty good deal considering the portions and great taste.[...]
                            It's soooo big that it serves 2 people adequately! I've done that on several occasions and don't think I've ever finished my half! Splitting the bill makes for a very frugal (and filling) breakfast!

Comment

Well portions and Zippy's certainly don't go hand-in-hand. It seems their prices increased while portions decreased.

I LOVE their fried noodles and Somen Salad. But $5.50 for a plate of NOODLES? Sheesh, their profit margin on that is probably better than Shave Ice.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Back to Chili (and value), nobody can beat the CHILI DOG PLATE from Richie's Drive Inn on N. King st. across the post office near Farrington HS. For just $3.85 you get a huge serving of their house-made (no pre-processed bags) Chili, TWO hot dogs, 2 scoops rice, mac salad AND a small drink! Their Chili can be described as intense in flavor. Simple as that. Richie used to be the cook for many years at Rainbow Drive Inn back in their glory days. Richie's is also the ONLY place I've seen where you can order a plate lunch at a drive-through window.
                                Oh man, this is good to learn! I loved Rainbow's chili dog plate! I must try this! Thanks for the tip, Pomai!
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X