Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could live anywhere in Waikiki...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you could live anywhere in Waikiki...

If you are traveling on TheBus, getting an apartment on Kuhio Ave would work out in your favor.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
      [...]As for Waaaaaaaiiiiiiikiki (oh how I love that song), I would love to live in the building above KHON TV. Great views. Ala Moana Shopping Center right next door. Who needs a car if you live there?
      I have a friend who lives in that building. Her unit is beautiful and has a lanai. Not all of the units do. I have a small problem with that building, tho'...that is, while it was being built one floor caved in on another killing a workman. I think if I was given a unit, free and clear , I'd sell it and move to the Colony Surf! BTW, my friend drives to Ala Moana SC! She's a shopper at heart and usually has too many bags to carry home!

So, for the OP, the Colony Surf, if you're not concerned about the rent, would be my first choice! It's on the 'gold coast' of Waikiki; closer to Diamond Head and is oceanfront. However, it's also part of the W Hotel (or is it the other way around?) and local residents tend to be monied older folks. There is a restaurant on the street side of the property...someone please jog my memory as to the name (the old Bobby McGee's)...that seems to cater to the young and trendy. At least it used to! The ground floor of the CS/W has a very upscale restaurant, Michel's at the Colony Surf, that faces right on the water. The beach directly in front of the CS, while public, is also used a lot by Outrigger Canoe Club members; all ages but many are young and trendy...not to mention athletic! The beach ewa is in front of the Kaimana Beach Hotel (which also has a couple of restaurants and a beachside bar). That beach has been a local hang-out for decades...more of the young and trendy; flight attendants, restaurant employees, a smattering of tourists, yada, yada!

Come to think of it...that section of Waikiki (gold coast) is about the only area that I might consider giving up Makaha for. Might!

I hope this info is somewhat current as I am definitely an unyoung and untrendy tutusue!

Comment

I dated a young Marine captain who lived on the 22nd floor of the Plaza Landmark, right where McCully meets Kalakaua. The wraparound lanai was my favorite spot because the views were simply amazing.

And THEN...his bathroom was complete with a gigantic shower, jacuzzi, aaaaand a bidet.

Of course the $3000/month rent pricetag was a bit steep, but hey...he's making enough, right?

The only downside to it was its close proximity to the Wave. Whenever the club let out at 4am we'd always hear the noise from way down there. You'd think with the windows closed and being far up on the 22nd we wouldn't hear it, but we did. But oh well...the Wave's not there anymore.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

You could try the Chateau Waikiki, its quiet, secure and has nice ammenities. Heres their web page (which I coinsidently help put together, even though its nothing fancy) - www.chateauwaikiki.homestead.com

Comment

The Marco Polo is a centrally-located condo bldg on Kapiolani. We had friends who used to own there, and I used to employ a girl who rented there (with about four other girls her age to cover the rent). I dunno what the rentals there go for, if any are available at all. We could sit on our friends' lanai and overlook the Ala Wai Canal (and from 30 stories up, so no worries about the water).
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
              I dated a young Marine captain who lived on the 22nd floor of the Plaza Landmark, right where McCully meets Kalakaua.[...]
              I finally figured out which building you're talking about altho' I can't remember the name. The Plaza Landmark is in the Salt Lake area. I believe the building you mention is on the corner of the Ala Wai and Kalakaua, unique architecture, reflective bronze glass. Sound right? IIRC, there've been problems with that building resulting in low occupancy both on the commercial levels and the residential levels. Since I can't remember the name I can't google to refresh my memory. And, things might've changed in this tight rental market.

Comment

might be the monarch mark

Comment

I'm not sure if it's the building Lei Liko has in mind, but I know the building tutusue thinks Lei Liko is thinking of is the Waikiki Landmark. It came up in our Ugliest Building in Honolulu thread.

As for the Marco Polo... it's one of many places in Honolulu said to be haunted!

Comment

I live right next to the Ala Wai Park...

I think that anywhere you look in Waikiki is going to be more expensive then if you look across the Ala Wai from Waikiki.

You can find many bargains right across the Ala Wai... It helps to know someone that is moving out of a place.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      I'm not sure if it's the building Lei Liko has in mind, but I know the building tutusue thinks Lei Liko is thinking of is the Waikiki Landmark. It came up in our Ugliest Building in Honolulu thread.[...]
                      That's it...the Waikiki Landmark! And, the Ugliest Building in Honolulu thread is great. Thanks, PZ! I think I'll resurrect it 'cuz I have a nomination!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        As for the Marco Polo... it's one of many places in Honolulu said to be haunted!
                        Are you sure it's not the Contessa which is more or less across the street from the Humane Society that is haunted from the animal ghosts?

Comment

i like those paperclip buildings, don't know the real name for them, can anyone tell me?

Comment

Originally posted by Lalalinder
                            i like those paperclip buildings, don't know the real name for them, can anyone tell me?
                            King Kong's Kaka'ako Urinals.

Comment

Or One Waterfront Towers. Also referenced in the ugliest buildings thread. But they're not exactly in Waikiki. Wouldn't recommend, them, either. Priceless views, million dollar prices, but half-dollar harbor smell.

And Helen, lots of buildings in Hawaii are said to be haunted. That's a whole 'nother thread in itself!

Comment

Aye...I apologize for the mistake. The Waikiki Landmark was what I was talking about...don't know why I said Plaza. Maybe it's because I was in the Salt Lake area recently?

Anyway, it is an ugly building...but the units are anything but that!

And I recall Dr. Grant mentioning before that the Contessa is one of the most haunted buildings here. A friend lived there while we were in college, and I recall just getting chicken skin everytime I'd walk through the hallways. It is Mo`ili`ili, after all...
                                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                                We're not here to mess around
                                Boston, you know we love you madly
                                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                                You know we couldn't live without you
                                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                                X