Waikiki or Waikuikui?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waikiki or Waikuikui?

Interesting spelling in this piece of breaking news...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br20p.html

New York developer and reality TV star Donald J. Trump today confirmed his involvement in a planned Waikuikui high-rise.

Estimated prices were not announced. But Trump in a statement said the tower will be "the most luxurious development in one of the most recognized resort destinations in the world today — Waikuikui Beach."

Beverly Hills, Calif.-based investment and development firm Irongate Capital Partners is developing the tower with Trump as part of Outrigger Enterprises' Waikuikui Beach Walk redevelopment.

Re: Waikiki or Waikuikui?

Fun catch, PJ. I've seen it before, and a search for Waikuikui finds another instance.

Since the Honolulu Advertiser aims to reflect most Hawaiian diacritical markings -- no easy feat, I assure you -- the "Waikuikui" thing is probably what you get when you mis-translate the control characters that would usually put a kahakō over the two 'i' in Waikīkī. In fact, I'm pretty sure the key for the kahakō is control-'u' preceding the vowel.

It makes me wonder what happens when Advertiser stories with diacritical marks go out over the wires. Are they stripped out, or do they give copy editors or print technician headaches?

Comment

Someone please correct if I'm wrong but I don't think "Waikiki" has any punctuation marks. They must have gotten the mis-spelling another way.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Waikīkī doesn't have punctuation marks, but it has two diacritical marks. Kahakō over the last two 'i' vowels. To activate the kahakō, I'd wager, the Honolulu Advertiser uses the umlaut equivalent, which is some control key (control, alt, option) and the letter 'u,' followed by the character to be marked. Hence 'Waikuikui.'

We've discussed the use of Hawaiian diacritical marks in local print media previously.

Comment

Right you are, Ryan. On Macs, it's an "option + u" command for kahakö and "option + c" for çokina. It doesn't always translate well, as you can see, but I think most of us agree that the occasional but regrettable glitch is worth the overall effort to be as accurate as possible with the written language.

I seem to remember an old post here that said the Advertiser is able to do Hawaiian diacriticals because we have a bigger staff with extra people to input them after the copy is submitted. Truth is, it's up to each reporter to do his or her own, and it really doesn't add much time to the process once you get used to it.

The Honolulu Advertiser: We Might Be Drones, But We Can Still Wear Rubbah Slippahs!

Comment

Actually, this story as read online, reminded me of the time when Chris Hemmeter redid the old YMCA downtown and changed its address to One Capitol District. I think the entire Legislature went balistic. The cahones! The audacity!
            So when I saw this present story, written by Andrew Gomes, who gets his facts right up and down and inside out (Believe me, I used to sit next to this guy when he'd interview. Painfully thorough, an editor's DREAM writer!), I thought that Andrew was throwing the new spelling in because The Donald was renaming this one particular area of Waikiki. It got me thinking: What do the folks at the Halekulani think? What about Outrigger Enterprises? This whole area's reinvention is the result of Outrigger's plans set in motion some 15 years ago.
            I went to the Trump website, I went to the Star-Bulletin to see what they wrote, and Waikuikui didn't show up. So I figured it was something going on in the online department. I'm a little surprised. I understand the web guy over at The Advertiser is very thorough, even more exacting than some of their reporters.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Pinball
              The Honolulu Advertiser: We Might Be Drones, But We Can Still Wear Rubbah Slippahs!
              I'd rather wear shoes than be a drone.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                I'd rather wear shoes than be a drone.
                True. And there's a fair share of fully-clod drones at both papers, as well as plenty of the other sort. Not that you'd ever admit that.

Comment

woah. bad form.
                  newbie from da advertiser walks in to our hale without taking of da slippahz and repeatedly disses our ohana. not cool.
                  ovbviously, fully, a clod.

Comment

True. And there's a fair share of fully-clod drones at both papers, as well as plenty of the other sort. Not that you'd ever admit that.
                    I may "admit" that, and at least I admit who I am in real life... Rich Walker -- I take pictures for the Bulletin... and you are??? If you stand behind what you write you'll tell us all who you are, too... there's nothing to be afraid of is there???

It's all in good fun here...

Comment

Come on you print guys---

it's Clad!
                      not Clod...

Clad is clothing
                      Clod is dirt...

unless you really meant dirt---

Comment

Originally posted by '79 KUAI Jock

it's Clad!
                        not Clod...

Clad is clothing
                        Clod is dirt...

He's right guys! So DJ from Kauai: Dontcha just hate it when songs are grammatically incorrect? Drives me CRAZY!

I digress. Back to the discussion.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

... I think most of us agree that the occasional but regrettable glitch is worth the overall effort to be as accurate as possible with the written language.
                          Hawaiians didn't have a written language.

Comment

Waikuikui is actually a place. That small area of nice beach just makai of Kukui Plaza.

Comment

Originally posted by '79 KUAI Jock

it's Clad!
                              not Clod...

Clad is clothing
                              Clod is dirt...

Or should it be shod?
                              Which makes in-office-shoe-wearers ... shodden? Shoddy?
                              I'm just playin'. And I'm barefoot at my desk at home.
                              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                              X