Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

That Popeye's still has a drive-through. I really like the chicken there, but I really dislike the service. And I hate to say this, but I dislike most of the clientele, too. I think it says unpleasant things about me to admit this.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

Originally posted by scrivener
    That Popeye's still has a drive-through. I really like the chicken there, but I really dislike the service. And I hate to say this, but I dislike most of the clientele, too. I think it says unpleasant things about me to admit this.
    Yeah, what a little snot to not want to hang around people who don't practice safe hygeine! (I think this says unpleasant things about me, too, but you can bet I bathe daily and brush my teeth even more!)
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      Scriv does have a point there...

I only ate at the Popeyes there once on dillingham....

As I was leaving... "Brah... you get a piece of chicken you can spare..." from someone out by my car!

Never went back!

Comment

Can someone tell me what you guys are talking about?
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
          Can someone tell me what you guys are talking about?
          um...read the post from the beginning!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            um...read the post from the beginning!
            I did. But it doesn't say much, about the clientel, at Popeye's. What's wid dis?

Comment

I suspect that maybe it's your settings that control the thread age cut off. Go into User CP, then select Edit Options and look for a setting for titled Default Thread Age Cut Off. You can change it to Show all threads or some other value that you feel comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                Yeah, what a little snot to not want to hang around people who don't practice safe hygeine! (I think this says unpleasant things about me, too, but you can bet I bathe daily and brush my teeth even more!)
                It's not just that, but people there tend to be very noisy, messy, and rude. I also hate the way employees, during their time off, hang out in the dining area, joking loudly with their coworkers behind the counter. There's just a general lack of consideration for the customers there, and the customers act as if they aren't entitled to it.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Weird.

I go there every so often when I'm in the area and have yet to experience such a distasteful crowd... spilling our red beans and rice on you...

Maybe it would be best to stay away if it's so offensive?

Comment

It's a kind of localness about a place that can make it either cozy or uncomfortable.

As for a commercial establishment, employees do need to conduct themselves in a professional manner and that includes when they are in their uniforms and on the clock. Their mannerisms reflect the establishment and the company for which a reputation is built upon. Unprofessional mannerisms don't fare well with any business.

But as Dick did mention that if it is unbecoming to you then you should and will find another business to patronize. Unfortunately for the business, it's their loss not the customer's.

That's why there are codes of conduct rules that all customer service employees typically follow. Failure to comply usually means reprimand or termination depending on the severity of the violation.

Normally you won't see employees eating in the same area as the customers (unprofessional at the least) and chit chat is kept to a minimum. These are standard protocals found in most employee handbooks when dealing with the public.

Some places choose not to follow these guidelines and they probably have lower employee/manager retension rates than others that do.

Zippy's is always a cheerful place to visit (albeit the one on Kilauea avenue in Kaimuki can be a challenge at times) and they do seem to pick some very nice peope to work with. But as Scrivener did also mention, some areas can be a challenge for a corporate image to be placed into especially when there are cultural differences such as how people eat and where. In some cultures it's rude not to eat amongst your guests.

But that's what "clientele" is about. Everyplace has a different definition of what being polite and professional is meant to be. Unfortunately to some another's interpretation can be offensive to others.

Srcrivener, I believe is trying to be politically correct instead of referring to the locale of where that Popeye's is located directly and the kind of regulars that patronize that establishment. If you look around that area you'll know what I mean. The people you see there are of a different social style than his and to him it can be offensive or intimidating.

When you hear someone saying stuff like, "Yeah da fucka wen dis me wen I wen slap his head so I wen punch his bitch ladat, hoa dat bitch was feelin it all day". Yeah that's really what all customers really want to hear from the food handlers that just served or cooked their "eat-in" meal. Doesn't digest very well either. But to some it's normal conversation. To others...well...kinda nasty.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

Hawaii has changed alot, I see. So has EVERYBODY there. Wow.

Comment

Fascinating. I've definitely noticed a distinct and different "clientele" at Popeye's Chicken, but wouldn't call it distasteful. I figured any discomfort I felt was mostly my problem (I certainly don't blend in, in my downtown aloha attire!), and since they did serve me chicken (mmm!) and let me eat it, I obviously worried more about it than they did.

So the people there are comfortable with each other. And know each other. The place has a feel of being its own community, or a hub of one. I'm just not part of it.

Such a casual attitude about loitering or language or whatever is probably not good "customer service" by the usual textbooks, but it certainly doesn't seem to hurt business any. As I often also notice a lot of military and other groups (now I'm being PC) there, I can only assume that to many, the "clientele" and energy of the place is even a comfort to some, a place to seek out that's not like Zippy's or other local or Mainland restaurants.

I've taken my wife and kids there as a treat several times. Apart from a sporadic nearby "F-bomb" (that I notice more than the kids do), we've had no complaints. Besides, rude people and bad language can be just as prevalent at other eateries, despite the supposedly different "clientele."

If you don't like it, don't go. Lobby Popeye's corporate to put a restaurant in Pearl City or Waikele. More chicken for me in town!

Comment

Try go to the Hawaii Kai Costco. I've had some pretty RUDE experiences there on MANY occasions.

Just this past weekend, I stood in line with just a single bag of Hot Dog Buns. THAT'S IT. All the lines were packed. When I stood in line, the guy in front who had a FULL CART of groceries looked back at me then turned away and didn't even bother to offer to let me in front of him.

How many times I've let people in front of me who had single items. I guess Karma doesn't always work when you're dealing with jerks. ZERO Aloha spirit.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                            Try go to the Hawaii Kai Costco. I've had some pretty RUDE experiences there on MANY occasions. Just this past weekend, I stood in line with just a single bag of Hot Dog Buns. THAT'S IT. All the lines were packed.
                            I feel your pain. Been there, done that. But thankfully, I heard that Costco is finally going to do something they've needed to do for a long time -- install an Express Lane.
                            The sign will read:
                            100 items or less.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                              Hawaii has changed alot, I see. So has EVERYBODY there. Wow.
                              Yeah, and I ran into one guy from France recently and he was a total jerk. So France has changed a lot, I see. So has EVERYBODY there. Wow.

Generalizations are silly.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X