Thread: Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

That Popeye's still has a drive-through. I really like the chicken there, but I really dislike the service. And I hate to say this, but I dislike most of the clientele, too. I think it says unpleasant things about me to admit this.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener
    That Popeye's still has a drive-through. I really like the chicken there, but I really dislike the service. And I hate to say this, but I dislike most of the clientele, too. I think it says unpleasant things about me to admit this.
    Yeah, what a little snot to not want to hang around people who don't practice safe hygeine! (I think this says unpleasant things about me, too, but you can bet I bathe daily and brush my teeth even more!)

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal
    Yeah, what a little snot to not want to hang around people who don't practice safe hygeine! (I think this says unpleasant things about me, too, but you can bet I bathe daily and brush my teeth even more!)
    It's not just that, but people there tend to be very noisy, messy, and rude. I also hate the way employees, during their time off, hang out in the dining area, joking loudly with their coworkers behind the counter. There's just a general lack of consideration for the customers there, and the customers act as if they aren't entitled to it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Weird.

I go there every so often when I'm in the area and have yet to experience such a distasteful crowd... spilling our red beans and rice on you...

Maybe it would be best to stay away if it's so offensive?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

It's a kind of localness about a place that can make it either cozy or uncomfortable.

As for a commercial establishment, employees do need to conduct themselves in a professional manner and that includes when they are in their uniforms and on the clock. Their mannerisms reflect the establishment and the company for which a reputation is built upon. Unprofessional mannerisms don't fare well with any business.

But as Dick did mention that if it is unbecoming to you then you should and will find another business to patronize. Unfortunately for the business, it's their loss not the customer's.

That's why there are codes of conduct rules that all customer service employees typically follow. Failure to comply usually means reprimand or termination depending on the severity of the violation.

Normally you won't see employees eating in the same area as the customers (unprofessional at the least) and chit chat is kept to a minimum. These are standard protocals found in most employee handbooks when dealing with the public.

Some places choose not to follow these guidelines and they probably have lower employee/manager retension rates than others that do.

Zippy's is always a cheerful place to visit (albeit the one on Kilauea avenue in Kaimuki can be a challenge at times) and they do seem to pick some very nice peope to work with. But as Scrivener did also mention, some areas can be a challenge for a corporate image to be placed into especially when there are cultural differences such as how people eat and where. In some cultures it's rude not to eat amongst your guests.

But that's what "clientele" is about. Everyplace has a different definition of what being polite and professional is meant to be. Unfortunately to some another's interpretation can be offensive to others.

Srcrivener, I believe is trying to be politically correct instead of referring to the locale of where that Popeye's is located directly and the kind of regulars that patronize that establishment. If you look around that area you'll know what I mean. The people you see there are of a different social style than his and to him it can be offensive or intimidating.

When you hear someone saying stuff like, "Yeah da fucka wen dis me wen I wen slap his head so I wen punch his bitch ladat, hoa dat bitch was feelin it all day". Yeah that's really what all customers really want to hear from the food handlers that just served or cooked their "eat-in" meal. Doesn't digest very well either. But to some it's normal conversation. To others...well...kinda nasty.

Default Re: Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

Hawaii has changed alot, I see. So has EVERYBODY there. Wow.

Default Re: Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

Fascinating. I've definitely noticed a distinct and different "clientele" at Popeye's Chicken, but wouldn't call it distasteful. I figured any discomfort I felt was mostly my problem (I certainly don't blend in, in my downtown aloha attire!), and since they did serve me chicken (mmm!) and let me eat it, I obviously worried more about it than they did.

So the people there are comfortable with each other. And know each other. The place has a feel of being its own community, or a hub of one. I'm just not part of it.

Such a casual attitude about loitering or language or whatever is probably not good "customer service" by the usual textbooks, but it certainly doesn't seem to hurt business any. As I often also notice a lot of military and other groups (now I'm being PC) there, I can only assume that to many, the "clientele" and energy of the place is even a comfort to some, a place to seek out that's not like Zippy's or other local or Mainland restaurants.

I've taken my wife and kids there as a treat several times. Apart from a sporadic nearby "F-bomb" (that I notice more than the kids do), we've had no complaints. Besides, rude people and bad language can be just as prevalent at other eateries, despite the supposedly different "clientele."

If you don't like it, don't go. Lobby Popeye's corporate to put a restaurant in Pearl City or Waikele. More chicken for me in town!

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
    [...]When you hear someone saying stuff like, "Yeah da fucka wen dis me wen I wen slap his head so I wen punch his bitch ladat, hoa dat bitch was feelin it all day". Yeah that's really what all customers really want to hear from the food handlers that just served or cooked their "eat-in" meal. Doesn't digest very well either. But to some it's normal conversation. To others...well...kinda nasty.
    While in line at Long's Waianae yesterday I overheard a conversation by the family in front of me eerily similar to your example, Craig. The profanity coming out of the wife's mouth was atrocious. The husband didn't say a word. It made me extremely uncomfortable, mainly because their child was present. The child mentioned to her grandma how her parents always fight...and added, "There they go again.". I finally got out of line, in favor of another check-out stand.

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener
    Scriv does have a point there...

I only ate at the Popeyes there once on dillingham....

As I was leaving... "Brah... you get a piece of chicken you can spare..." from someone out by my car!

Never went back!

Can someone tell me what you guys are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon
    Can someone tell me what you guys are talking about?
    um...read the post from the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    um...read the post from the beginning!
    I did. But it doesn't say much, about the clientel, at Popeye's. What's wid dis?

I suspect that maybe it's your settings that control the thread age cut off. Go into User CP, then select Edit Options and look for a setting for titled Default Thread Age Cut Off. You can change it to Show all threads or some other value that you feel comfortable.

Default at Popeyes - hmmmm... Love dat Chicken

Apparently, this thread was carved off from another one that focused on Zippy's. The context is not obvious since the preceding lead-ins are contained in the Zippy's thread.

In any case, it's not just the Popeye's in Dillingham that does this. I've visited many other Popeye's in many other states. I *do* love that Chicken! But 9 out of 10 of the ones that I've visited, the following are true: always placed in poor neighborhoods - and in the mainland states, distinctly where blacks reside and caters to the black clientele and tastes. It just seems a bit coincidental that the restaurant seems to be placed to attract a particular demographic. Anycase, I no longer bring my family into that restaurant because of all of that poor behavior and I don't need my kids learning any of that "live in person", I just do take out and still taste just as good.

That's not to say that only particular color of people behave badly. I've definitely noticed a chance in common courtesy and behaviour where swearing loudly in public seems to have become acceptable - from all sorts of people, but definitely especially the youths.
    Last edited by jasonzzz; June 2nd, 2006 at 06:33 AM. Reason: more stuff for typing.

Default Other Popeyes

That's neat, there are actually 4 other Popeye's in Hawaii, they are all on Naval properties though. BTW, I remembered there was one Popeyes on Keeaumoku about 2 or 3 blocks from Ala Moana long time ago. I think maybe they closed up around 82 or something. Anyone remember that?

Default Re: Other Popeyes

Quote Originally Posted by jasonzzz

BTW, I remembered there was one Popeyes on Keeaumoku about 2 or 3 blocks from Ala Moana long time ago. I think maybe they closed up around 82 or something. Anyone remember that?
    Sure do. They were located on the block fronting where Oahu Towing used to be, I think a little mauka of where Wal-Mart is now. My favorite there was Popeye's chicken curry stew bowl with rice.

I think maybe they closed up around 82 or something. Anyone remember that?
    Yes, but it was there at least through October 1986. I know this because it's where we picked up (from the drive-through) the food we ate during the great Game Six of the 1986 World Series. You non-baseball fans would know it at least from that two-part episode of Seinfeld guest-starring Keith Hernandez: "That, my friend, is one magic loogie!"
    GrouchyTeacher.com

That's neat, there are actually 4 other Popeye's in Hawaii, they are all on Naval properties though. BTW, I remembered there was one Popeyes on Keeaumoku about 2 or 3 blocks from Ala Moana long time ago. I think maybe they closed up around 82 or something. Anyone remember that?
    I remember seeing a Popeye's in Scofield Barracks this year. And as far as the Keeaumoku location it used on the site where Wal-Mart sits now. Then it moved for a while to a location across the HMSA Building then it closed.

There was one for a while across the street from Pucks Alley.

That's neat, there are actually 4 other Popeye's in Hawaii, they are all on Naval properties though.
    Nope. 5. One in Waipahu behind Sizzler. Been there several times and see a lot of the more "upscale" customers from further up Kunia Rd. I used to go to one in Temple Valley Shopping Ctr. when I lived in Kahaluu and one on Piikoi next to Schumann Carriage when I lived in town. Both are gone.
    Btw, the Popeyes that used to be in Aiea/Pearl City moved to Waipahu.

Before going into Costco for shopping, I kinda psyche myself into a no-hurry mood. No problemo. Stop at all the sample tables and just cruise. I usually wear a "Grumpy" shirt from DL and always have a scowl on my face. No one ever asks me if they can cut in front. If they do it's usually because I made a slip and smiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye

I used to go to one in Temple Valley Shopping Ctr. when I lived in Kahaluu and one on Piikoi next to Schumann Carriage when I lived in town.
    Wasn't the one on Piikoi St. called Pioneer Chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkah
    It was called Church's. Then it became Subaru. I don't know how tasty the Subaru is, though!

It was called Church's. Then it became Subaru. I don't know how tasty the Subaru is, though!

Yeah, I remember that one Church's on Piikoi, used to eat there sometimes after school. Ate at Pioneer's too, but liked them less... To me they were all sort of KFC like. But Popeyes! whoo! that's different. KFC is still ok, but it just isn't the same anymore.

What about KC's waffle dog? My dad's useta bring home bags of the stuff, it was sooooo good.

Anyone tried Chick'fila, Kenny Roger's roasters, or Boston Market on the mainland?

Aaah. I do stand corrected. Church's had good chicken too. Same for Kahaluu's Pioneer Chicken. They also had fish and chips on their menu. Must be a senior moment. Me thinks the Piikoi location was it's downfall. At certain times, it was just plain nasty trying to get in or out of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkah
    The one in Temple Valley was Pioneer Chicken too. I love Popeye's fried chicken. My mom always makes it a point to bring me home a Popeye's care package whenever she's gallavanting at the NEX or HickamEX. I love my mommy.

RE Cutting in line at Costcos:
    Pomai: the guy was probably thinking "suffer crazy-guy-who-is-buying-only-one-thing-especially-on-the-weekend-at-Costcos !" Just playin'...