Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

Originally posted by Pomai
    [...]Of course there's good and bad people everywhere, so profiling or stereotyping someone just because they just pulled up in an $80,000 Mercedez doesn't mean they're automatically an @sshole. I've had one guy who just got out of a car just like that offer me help with a large box I was loading in my car... exactly the kind of good deed I would teach my children to do.
    This is a good point, Pomai. My dad was a self made man who never lost touch with what resided deep in his soul. I'll never forget while I was in high school, he bought either the 1st or 2nd year Jaguar XKE. He was driving me to a friends house when we came upon an accident; a car flipped over and down a hill. We weren't the first ones on the scene but my dad was the only one to scramble down the hill to help the victims. He stayed with them and when the ambulance guys lowered the stretchers to the car and loaded the victims, Pop assisted with carrying the stretchers up the hill. I can still see the determination to be of assistance and the compassion for the victims on my dad's face...even after 45 years. I guess it just goes back to "you can't judge a book by it's cover", huh?

He was the kinda guy who would've loved the clientele at Popeye's and would have easily comingled with them. That also doesn't mean that others who are uncomfortable in that situation or find it distasteful are wrong or arrogant. They are who they are.
    Last edited by tutusue; June 1, 2006, 03:38 PM.

Comment

It's not Costco's fault that the moment many people (of all types) set foot in the door of any of the stores, they:

1) forget how to stay out of people's way
      2) seem to fail to realize there are even other people in the store (?)
      3) need to leave their cart on one side of the aisle to examine an item on the other side -- standing two feet or so away so as to fully block passage by anyone else
      4) seem to NEED to stop in the middle of a high-traffic area to ponder the meaning of life

There's probably more ... but those are my chief complaints. I hope I don't get busted by one of you engaging in one of those behaviors.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
        It's not Costco's fault that the moment many people (of all types) set foot in the door of any of the stores, they:
        -----
        4) seem to NEED to stop in the middle of a high-traffic area to ponder the meaning of life
        I swear I've almost taken the okoles off MANY Costco shoppers who do that! Here you are with that big honkin' wagon and suddenly aunty Tutu'e just STOPS inches in front of you.

Costco should should consider ABS brakes on their carts and traffic signals in their store.

Good thing Dillingham Popeyes doesn't have those carts. NIGHTMARES.

How is Popeye's Chicken anyway? The last time I ate there was ages ago and all I remember was it was way too crunchy and spicy for my taste.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

This is some of the best discussion we've had here in a while, all due respect to the banana-engulfing thread.

First: The Popeye's thing. As Craig quite accurately pointed out, I was trying to be diplomatic, but it's not the geographic location of the restaurant itself that creates a kind of incompatibility with my dining senses; it's the ethno-cultural, established norms of a certain demographic that likes the kind of food Popeye's serves that I find distasteful. Note that I did not say "wrong" or "classless." Just, different. When I said I dislike the clientele, what I really meant is that I dislike the clientele's dining behavior, and it's something I suspect falls somewhat short of racism but somewhere past intolerance. I consider myself a very tolerant man, but I'm picky about where I eat, as Craig correctly surmised. I understand that some people like to talk loudly during movies, and in places where that's common and accepted, I choose not to see movies. It is a judgment not on the people but on the behavior, and as Pz suggested, the best move is not to go if it bugs you that much. I usually dine alone, and am therefore trying to get work or reading done while I eat -- something that my mom taught me at a very young age is very, very rude. Those other Popeye's customers must think I'm horribly impolite.

It doesn't bug me enough to stop going, but it does bug me enough to be particular about when I go, and it does keep me away more often than it lures me in!

Second: Cutting in Line
          I, too, often let people ahead of me when they've got one or two items, but sometimes I'm in a big hurry and don't think I can afford the extra few minutes. When people offer to let me cut when I've only got one or two items, I usually decline because I'm not in a hurry. Waiting is not such a bad thing when you're not in a hurry, as years living in Hilo taught me.
          Last edited by scrivener; June 1, 2006, 04:43 PM.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

at Popeyes - hmmmm... Love dat Chicken

Apparently, this thread was carved off from another one that focused on Zippy's. The context is not obvious since the preceding lead-ins are contained in the Zippy's thread.

In any case, it's not just the Popeye's in Dillingham that does this. I've visited many other Popeye's in many other states. I *do* love that Chicken! But 9 out of 10 of the ones that I've visited, the following are true: always placed in poor neighborhoods - and in the mainland states, distinctly where blacks reside and caters to the black clientele and tastes. It just seems a bit coincidental that the restaurant seems to be placed to attract a particular demographic. Anycase, I no longer bring my family into that restaurant because of all of that poor behavior and I don't need my kids learning any of that "live in person", I just do take out and still taste just as good.

That's not to say that only particular color of people behave badly. I've definitely noticed a chance in common courtesy and behaviour where swearing loudly in public seems to have become acceptable - from all sorts of people, but definitely especially the youths.
            Last edited by jasonzzz; June 2, 2006, 05:33 AM. Reason: more stuff for typing.

Comment

Other Popeyes

That's neat, there are actually 4 other Popeye's in Hawaii, they are all on Naval properties though. BTW, I remembered there was one Popeyes on Keeaumoku about 2 or 3 blocks from Ala Moana long time ago. I think maybe they closed up around 82 or something. Anyone remember that?

Comment

Re: Other Popeyes

Originally posted by jasonzzz

BTW, I remembered there was one Popeyes on Keeaumoku about 2 or 3 blocks from Ala Moana long time ago. I think maybe they closed up around 82 or something. Anyone remember that?
                Sure do. They were located on the block fronting where Oahu Towing used to be, I think a little mauka of where Wal-Mart is now. My favorite there was Popeye's chicken curry stew bowl with rice.

Comment

I think maybe they closed up around 82 or something. Anyone remember that?
                  Yes, but it was there at least through October 1986. I know this because it's where we picked up (from the drive-through) the food we ate during the great Game Six of the 1986 World Series. You non-baseball fans would know it at least from that two-part episode of Seinfeld guest-starring Keith Hernandez: "That, my friend, is one magic loogie!"
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

That's neat, there are actually 4 other Popeye's in Hawaii, they are all on Naval properties though. BTW, I remembered there was one Popeyes on Keeaumoku about 2 or 3 blocks from Ala Moana long time ago. I think maybe they closed up around 82 or something. Anyone remember that?
                    I remember seeing a Popeye's in Scofield Barracks this year. And as far as the Keeaumoku location it used on the site where Wal-Mart sits now. Then it moved for a while to a location across the HMSA Building then it closed.

There was one for a while across the street from Pucks Alley.

Comment

That's neat, there are actually 4 other Popeye's in Hawaii, they are all on Naval properties though.
                      Nope. 5. One in Waipahu behind Sizzler. Been there several times and see a lot of the more "upscale" customers from further up Kunia Rd. I used to go to one in Temple Valley Shopping Ctr. when I lived in Kahaluu and one on Piikoi next to Schumann Carriage when I lived in town. Both are gone.
                      Btw, the Popeyes that used to be in Aiea/Pearl City moved to Waipahu.

Before going into Costco for shopping, I kinda psyche myself into a no-hurry mood. No problemo. Stop at all the sample tables and just cruise. I usually wear a "Grumpy" shirt from DL and always have a scowl on my face. No one ever asks me if they can cut in front. If they do it's usually because I made a slip and smiled.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye

I used to go to one in Temple Valley Shopping Ctr. when I lived in Kahaluu and one on Piikoi next to Schumann Carriage when I lived in town.
                        Wasn't the one on Piikoi St. called Pioneer Chicken?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                          It was called Church's. Then it became Subaru. I don't know how tasty the Subaru is, though!
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            The one in Temple Valley was Pioneer Chicken too. I love Popeye's fried chicken. My mom always makes it a point to bring me home a Popeye's care package whenever she's gallavanting at the NEX or HickamEX. I love my mommy.

RE Cutting in line at Costcos:
                            Pomai: the guy was probably thinking "suffer crazy-guy-who-is-buying-only-one-thing-especially-on-the-weekend-at-Costcos !" Just playin'...

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                              It was called Church's. Then it became Subaru. I don't know how tasty the Subaru is, though!

Yeah, I remember that one Church's on Piikoi, used to eat there sometimes after school. Ate at Pioneer's too, but liked them less... To me they were all sort of KFC like. But Popeyes! whoo! that's different. KFC is still ok, but it just isn't the same anymore.

What about KC's waffle dog? My dad's useta bring home bags of the stuff, it was sooooo good.

Anyone tried Chick'fila, Kenny Roger's roasters, or Boston Market on the mainland?

Comment

I really like Zippy's fried chicken. It has the perfect balance of seasonings, without being over-battered, with the perfect crunch. Can't go wrong with the Chili/Chicken combo.

In fact, if you like Zippy's fried chicken, you can buy the exact same seasoned flour in 5 lb. bags at Y Hata distributors on Sand Island Access Rd. Simply roll 'em in the flour and deep fry da' buggahz GBD.. winnahz!
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X