Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Life in France

Originally posted by flying snow
    I've seen the spray painted sheep! I've also got pics of them! Lol.

When my friend took me to visit Stonehenge in the UK, there were loads of sheep on the fields next to it...they all had different colors of paint, spray painted on their bums. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw it. Yes, I'm easily amused.

(Out of curiousity Manoa...why do you feel such animosity toward Susie??)
    Flying snow...

I'm sorry if it feels I have animosity towards susie.... I honestly don't... and I'm sorry if it has come across that way.

I have though put her on ignore because I choose not to read what she posts.

Sorry Susie if you think I have animosity towards you.... I simply have not enjoyed reading your posts.... nothing personally... thus, I have you on ignore and therefore cannot answer any questions you may have asked.

I think that is part of the beauty of HT... we all are allowed to express our feelings.... sometimes we are batted around.... sometimes people agree.... sometimes people don't agree....and sometimes people get put on ignored...

No hard feelings though

With this said... I'm sorry I requested that this post be pulled....

If the answer has not already been answered....

What do French people give for Omiyagi?

Manoa
    Last edited by damontucker; June 6, 2006, 06:19 PM. Reason: adding a sometimes...

Comment

Fair enough. I was ajust a little confuzzled.

Heh. I'm still getting a lil chuckle out of painted sheeps bums.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        Flying snow...

I'm sorry if it feels I have animosity towards susie.... I honestly don't... and I'm sorry if it has come across that way.

I have though put her on ignore because I choose not to read what she posts.Manoa
        You choose (you wrote that in present tense) not to read her posts, but you're still reading the thread she started?

And you are asking her about French "omiyage," so you're not reading her posts, but you expect her to eagerly await yours? So she can answer you and have you not read her replies? Or are you asking every other France resident *except* Susie to answer the question?

Well, now I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
          You choose (you wrote that in present tense) not to read her posts, but you're still reading the thread she started?

And you are asking her about French "omiyage," so you're not reading her posts, but you expect her to eagerly await yours? So she can answer you and have you not read her replies? Or are you asking every other France resident *except* Susie to answer the question?

Well, now I'm confused.
          Okay maddie... I bite...????

I thought I was clear with the "choose" word ?

I choose not to read what she writes in the future??? was there something wrong?

Love yah corrections normally though

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
            I don't really miss cold weather, but I do miss hiking in the fall, when the air is crisp and the leaves turn color. Your camping experience made me recall my own memories of camping/hiking, even though it isn't fall. I'm not big on camping, but hiking...sigh. As much as I enjoy hiking on Oahu, sometimes I wish I could find shaded trails that weren't so muddy!
            You want a non-muddy local trail? If you don't mind being a bit scared....you can hike up Mt. Kaala, from just behind Waialua High School. All the way up to the telescopes. And then you can walk down the access road, to get back. It's scary because you really DO go along those ridges, going up.

If you want something less frightening, there's a nice zig-zag trail, going up (to what is probably called 'peacock flats'), just behind the old Dillingham airstrip, in Mokuleia. That's the old one, as opposed to the newer one...the old one runs diagonally along the new one, somewhat behind it. It's now a place whare cattle are raised...lots of fly-rollers, vats of molasses, cowpoop, and bones.

About halfway down the runway, you'll see where there's been a rockslide, up on the mountain...just down from there, at the base of the hill, you'll find the ruins of an old Army outpost...almost forty years ago, it was already a ruin, and we found edible C-rations...just Kaena Point of this place is where the trail starts. Don't freak, when you hear the peacocks screaming...they were loud and scary back then, too. If you choose to clamber up the rockslide, instead, there's a little banana forest, with very good bananas.

Please post some pictures, for me.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Spraypaint to ID sheep? I guess the sheep prefer that to branding or ear tagging, but... are those sheep raised to produce wool? One would think spraypaint would devalue the end product somewhat!

As for the sound of animal bells making for fond memories... to this day a distant cowbell (i.e. not a SNL cowbell!) will remind me of the summer I spent as a kid with my brother and grandparents in Hawi. The property borders a ranch, and in the early morning, we'd sometimes hear cowbells as they ambled past the nearest fence.

So, Susie, is this a typical weekend away? Or as special an occasion as it sounds like to the rest of us?
              The sheep are raised for their milk, it makes pretty good, if strong tasting, cheese. The wool is dumped. The lambs get roasted with garlic, or made into the Basque Meshui BBQ. The older sheep get turned into merguez sausages...kinda like a spicey link.

That's a a typical weekend, for us....when I happen to have $$$, for the gas. We don't usually go far, because of the $$...gas costs the equivalent of $6.00 a gallon.

Kids don't go to school, over here, on wednesdays, til they get to be about 11 years old...then they only go half-days, on wednesdays. I still have two little guys at home, so we go off, somewhere, on tuesday night, too....in fact, we just now got back, from Sauveterre, about ten miles from here, where we spent last night, down by the Gave de Oloron.

Sauveterre (it translates to 'safe ground') is just on the border of the Bearnaise and the Basque Country. Years ago, anyone who could make it to Sauveterre, when being attacked by the Basques, was safe. There's an old, crumbling castle, and a beautiful church, with the river flowing, down below the town.

Witches, or anyone thought to be one, were not too safe, though....anyone thought to be a witch was 'floated', in the river. Float, and you're a witch, and then got burned. Sink, and 'oops! sorry!'. I did take a picture, of the view from my bed, but I still can't get the dang thing to work.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                Um, you have nothing to fear from those bears. Just don't get between them and their young. Not that I'd expect you to be familiar with bears. Islanders.
                Keoni and I, both, still don't sleep too well. I don't expect that we'll be going back there, too soon, anyways. There are other fish, in other rivers.

Comment

Reading the newspaper yesterday, I saw this timely article about the reintroduction of bears to the Pyrenees.
                  http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/arti...791010,00.html

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Reading the newspaper yesterday, I saw this timely article about the reintroduction of bears to the Pyrenees.
                    http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/arti...791010,00.html
                    True. It's a big stink. Fistfights betweens the farmers and the greens. Poor old bears, stuck in the middle.

It really IS wild and isolated, up there, you wouldn't think that losing a few sheep, or a cow or two, would hurt. But, from Keoni's white face, I think that it's the fear factor. People here are still in the middle ages, the 'greens' are considered (and often, are) meddling, bleeding-hearts, from the big cities, who don't know their ass from their elbow.

Comment

I don't know anything about it....?

maybe I'll get some feedback from some one there

maybe that someone will quit worrying about a pandemic?

I'd like to hear about life in France? and what city in France would you consider the most "Hawaiian?"

What would a French person want as a gift from Hawaii? and what is the common gift for someone from France to someone in the US?

etc.

Manoa
                      life in france?-riding scooters while chain smoking with a bottle of chardonnay and a mile-long baguette in the basket.

"most hawaiian" french city?-gotta be nice though they aint nice but topless they is.

frenchies dont want anything american except le big macs!

and the french dont give gifts to americans-the last one the statue of liberty-they now want back!

Comment

Okay maddie... I bite...????

I thought I was clear with the "choose" word ?

I choose not to read what she writes in the future??? was there something wrong?

Love yah corrections normally though
                        I was wondering why you are asking questions of Susie in a thread she would be the logical choice to respond to, if you also are not reading her posts any more. That's the part I was confused by.

Sometimes I am easily confused!
                        Last edited by MadAzza; June 7, 2006, 12:16 PM. Reason: whoops ... susie didn't *start* this thread!

Comment

For a small town (less than 5000 people), we have alot of churches. There are two Catholic ones, one Protestant Temple, and one Jehovah's Witness Hall.

The Catholic ones have bells.

The bells ring out the hour, on the hour, and again, five minutes later..in case you neglected to count the first time. They ring on the half-hour, too..but only one chime...so, if you're an insomniac, and it just rings once, you get to wonder if it's half past something, or one in the morning.

They have special bell ringing, for noon...first, the twelve hourly ones chime, and then, dang, dang, dang...come, we go eat! Then the twelve ring again, just to remind you.

Then, there's the 'go to bed bells'...at least, that's what I've always told the kids. These chime at seven thirty, each evening, a pretty little melody. Not being Catholic, I'm not sure what they're for...service, maybe, or an old-fashioned way to call in field workers, at the end of the day. When the kids were little, I had them convinced that they needed to be in bed, before those sounded...it doesn't seem to work any longer, now that they've grown up. But it still makes this Pavlovian Mom yawn.

On Sunday mornings, at ten, there's beautiful music from the bells. I suspect that this is either the end or the beginning of a service. If we're not up, by then, it most certainly wakes us all...especially during the summer, when the windows are wide open, night and day.

Then, there are the ones for whom the bell tolls...Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Very slowly, for a very long time, both before and after a funeral service. Those go off at least once, every three days, during the winter, and alot less, in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                            and one Jehovah's Witness Hall.
                            I've always wondered, since they call them "Assembly Halls," is that where they build the new JWs?

Comment

I don't know...maybe because they're so quick to build? Easy-to-assemble...24 hours, and you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                                I don't know...maybe because they're so quick to build? Easy-to-assemble...24 hours, and you're done.
                                Oh, trust me...I'm "done" with Jehovah's Witnesses in far less time than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X