Aloha from Yokohama, Japan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Yokohama, Japan!

I'm happy I was able to stumble upon this site! After living in Japan for the past 12 years it's time to head back to the US. I found the love of my life here in Japan and now have a beautiful family with two boys.

If anyone knows about the Japanese school system, well, I think it's time to go someplace that will give them "choices". Can you imagine joining only ONE sport or ONE activity and never changing? I tell the local people here that I played American Football, baseball, basketball and ran track in high school and they look at me like I was from Mars.

I'm not saying my boys will be superstars in athletics, but at least they will have choices. This is important for them, (and me).

Any hoo, I will be moving to Oahu in July by myself to find work and a place for my family. If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it.

At the moment, I'm looking for a rental room for 2 to 3 months. Not looking to spend too much, about 500ish for a room. If anyone can tell me where to look, other than craigslist.org and sublet.com, please let me know. The newspapers on the net aren't very helpful.

I've already purchased my airline ticket, so now I have 5 weeks to find a place for myself, my clothes and my precious scuba equipment.

I look forward to hearing from some of you. Take care.

Mahalo,

Chris

Re: Aloha from Yokohama, Japan!

I guess I'll welcome myself...I hope I have a good time. If I need any help, please ask myself. I'm sure you and myself will enjoy relocating to such a beautiful place.

Myself

Comment

ALOHA ~ Its a time zone thing maybe....but welcome to da Threads.

I don't think you're gonna find anything for $500. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I stay on da islands, I stay mainland. Seems like the lowest rental is like $1000 on Oahu. K-900 maybe. But its dang expensive.

Hopefully some one here will be able to help you out. Try craigslist.com or StarBulletin online.
      ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyLika
        ALOHA ~ Its a time zone thing maybe....but welcome to da Threads.

I don't think you're gonna find anything for $500. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I stay on da islands, I stay mainland. Seems like the lowest rental is like $1000 on Oahu. K-900 maybe. But its dang expensive.

Hopefully some one here will be able to help you out. Try craigslist.com or StarBulletin online.
        Lika... He said for a room.

Chris,

Got to dodreferral.com they should have plenty of rooms available. Good luck. I've always wanted to go to Japan. Well, good luck again.

Comment

Hi Universal Diver -

relocating can be so much fun. a new experience to look forward to. i hope you and your family really like hawaii - but what's not to like. take care/
          olivia

Comment

Relocating can be interesting and stressful as well as fun. I've been able to find a lot of rooms for the $500 range on craigslist.org but I wanted to find other options.

Thanks Chris for the link. BTW, Happy Birthday. A few weeks late but I didn't know you then, actually, I still don't. Maybe we'll meet someday. Do you scuba dive?

Lika, I understand the housing costs are not like South Dakota or Nebraska or someplace in the countryside. I fully expect to pay a lot more when I actually find a home for my family. But looking for a room to rent is cheaper than staying in a hotel for 3 months and I don't want to overspend on myself when I need it for my family. Thanks for posting the links.

I'm almost considering staying in a hostel for a few days while I look for a room. There are a lot of rooms on craigslist but I have no idea what the locations are like and a lot of them don't have pictures posted.

I look forward to contributing to the Oahu community. Maybe I'll have the chance to meet some of you soon.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Universal Diver
              I'm almost considering staying in a hostel for a few days while I look for a room. There are a lot of rooms on craigslist but I have no idea what the locations are like and a lot of them don't have pictures posted.
              There's some good logic to that - stay somewhere as inexpensive as possible, and get to know the area better. You'll learn a lot more in person, and you'll meet more people you can talk with.

Comment

Working...
              X