Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Businesses I would miss...

New question :P

Are there currently any decent health food stores on Oahu besides Down to Earth?

Comment

Regarding health food stores...

I haven't been in it yet, but Umeke Market across Kahala mall seems to be doing well.

In fact, I think I'll grab a bite there this weekend. I hear they have a pretty good deli.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I vote for Trader Joe's - the few years I lived in Orange County, used to go there on my lunch hour to buy cheap wine and lots of other good groceries.

also, Nordstrom has the BEST customer service - if they don't have what you want, they will often call another store like Macy's to find the product for you.

and what can I say about Olive Garden - their soup, salad & breadsticks are so good & they keep coming back to the table with those refills.

Maybe they could close the Wal-Mart & KMart stores & just give us a Target Store instead? and let's see - get rid of Home Depot also. What's wrong with City Mill? They have everything anyone could possibly need.

and Kimo - please don't jump all over me because I happen to like a couple of these stores - they have good products at low prices. and we DO need more of those kind of stores here. I'm not saying these particular ones should open here. I shop "local" as much as possible - I think many of us rebel against the big box stores. I get into terrible arguments with my brother because I refuse to go to Home Depot. I've never been to Wal-Mart and have only gone to Macy's 4 times since they opened and then only because I had gift cards to use.
        Last edited by anapuni808; June 13, 2006, 05:02 PM.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
          I vote for Trader Joe's -
          also, Nordstrom has the BEST customer service -
          and what can I say about Olive Garden -

get rid of Home Depot also. What's wrong with City Mill? They have everything anyone could possibly need.

Home depot is here cuz they heard everyone saying:
          hey! I had all these favorite places on da mainland that i want here, now!
          Just like yer doin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
            New question :P

Are there currently any decent health food stores on Oahu besides Down to Earth?
            I believe Whole Foods is currently being built on the corner of Queen and Kamakee. That's what I heard anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
              [...]Maybe they could close the Wal-Mart & KMart stores & just give us a Target Store instead? and let's see - get rid of Home Depot also. What's wrong with City Mill? They have everything anyone could possibly need.
              Yes...on both accounts! And City Mill's customer service is better than Home Depot's.

Comment

City Mill's prices are soooo expensive!

Comment

Pomai and tutusue: Thanks very much for the tips about Whole Foods and Umeke

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                    City Mill's prices are soooo expensive!
                    Hmmm...I haven't noticed a huge difference. Maybe it's just the things I buy. Dunno.

Comment

I would love to see a Togo's Deli. It's sorta like a Subway, but better.

Hard to find a real deli serving good sandwiches anywhere in the State of Hawaii. Grinders, Hoagies, Subs, Cheesesteaks. Mortadella, Capicolla, Cotto, Genoa, Pastrami.

2 scoop rice with mac salad just don't compare to a foot long grinder with all the trimmings and roasted red pepper sauce.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

evening time at lanikai beach just don't compare to sunset at santa monica pier.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          I would love to see a Togo's Deli. It's sorta like a Subway, but better.

Hard to find a real deli serving good sandwiches anywhere in the State of Hawaii. Grinders, Hoagies, Subs, Cheesesteaks. Mortadella, Capicolla, Cotto, Genoa, Pastrami.

2 scoop rice with mac salad just don't compare to a foot long grinder with all the trimmings and roasted red pepper sauce.
                          My little town once had a Togo's, but it failed. It was paired up with a Dunkin' Donuts franchise, which is a common set-up around these parts. The DD is still around, but the Togo's part of it was jettisoned long ago.

With all due respect, inasmuch as you enjoy grinders (the official term for sandwiches of that style here in NE...I understand in some parts of the mainland, in addition to the monikers of hogies and subs, they are also known as "zeppelins" and "heroes"), I would hope that you'd find a place in your heart for the "two scoop rice and mac salad" plate lunch. You don't have to like them..just support them for what they are, which is an enderaing part of Hawaiiana. If anything tells me that I'm home when I am home, it's seeing plate lunches for sale..usually out of a plate lunch wagon..that really reinforces the fact I'm back in Hawai'i. A plate lunch with a glass of froo' punch? Man..that says Hawai'i in no uncertain terms. I would hope, despite the efforts of all the fast-food franchises from the mainland that have made inroads in Hawai'i, that the plate lunch will remain the grinds of choice come kau kau time. They are a local tradition worth continuing.

BTW, when I was in Kaunakakai on Moloka'i last December, I noticed that it had a Subway. From what I can construe, I'm thinking that this Subway is Molokai'i's first fast-food franchise. For years, tourist guides would tout the fact the Moloka'i was an island that neither had a single traffic signal (which I believe is still a valid statement, though I can make a case for the installation of one at the intersection of Maunaloa Highway and the road to Kaunakakai Harbor) or a fast-food franchise. I suppose this is good in a way, as on one hand, it did have an advantage for me while I was on Moloka'i, as the Subway was the only place I could find (within reason) that did have anything to offer that fit my dietary requirements....but on the other hand, I have to agree with Kimo on this point that he has made on many occasions...that the influx of many of these mainland franchises will ultimately lead Hawai'i into losing its identity of arguably America's most unique state, and become just another state among the 50...almost a long-distance suburb of LA.

Comment

mahaloz fo dat, esseffbee!

Comment

No offense to Island residents, but I hope you don't get a Trader Joe's --- it's one of our best Mainland sources for omiyage for Island folks.

Comment

Re: Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                                Wal Mart - oddly enough, the WalMart in Kona was the first Wal Mart I'd ever been in in my life. We don't have Wal Mart in LA, only in far out surrounding areas.
                                Actually there are two WalMarts in L.A. -- one in the Crenshaw District and another one in the Harbor Gateway area. I prefer the one in the Harbor Gateway area because it kinda reminds me of the one in Hilo and it has a "Hawaiian BBQ" place in the shopping center behind it.

I'd really like to see a Trader Joe's on the Big Island because the Island Naturals stores in Hilo and Puna are just poor imitations. Maybe I should start "Trader Jonah's" here in partnership with Trader Joe's?

And a Costco for the Hilo side would be nice, Cost-U-Less just doesn't cut it sometimes.
                                Last edited by admin; August 10, 2006, 01:20 PM. Reason: Split from "Mainland Chains vs. Island Culture" thread.
                                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Working...
                                X