This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii 5-0 remake

anybody else heard about this. I think it would do the Islands good.

Re: Hawaii 5-0 remake

I take it you mean this production that is listed on IMDb for Hawaii Five-0 for 2007?

This is the first I heard about it. They filmed one a few years ago but they didn't release it.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      I take it you mean this production that is listed on IMDb for Hawaii Five-0 for 2007?

This is the first I heard about it. They filmed one a few years ago but they didn't release it.

really? What was the story behind that one?

Comment

From what I remembered they showed what they filmed to a test group (outside of Hawaii) which didn't like it. I don't know why they didn't broadcast it unless it wasn't really finished or it would have cost more to show it.

Comment

This is from a thread on the IMdB forums:

This was a movie that was YEARS in the making,and when they did the casting they were going to pick either Jean Claude Van Damme or Arnold Scwarzenegger or even Bruce Willis for the part and it was going to be directed by either Brian DePalma,John McTiernan,or Richard Donner(of the Lethal Weapon films)....

Comment

On behalf of those that know.... My wifes uncle is Gilbert Kauhi. Otherwise known as Zulu. He passed away a week after my wifes baby shower... however, the people that were going to make the movie wanted him to make a cameo in it if the movie ever got made.

I will post a picture of him tomorrow at my wife's baby shower from my other computer.

Manoa

Comment

Yeah, they shot a pilot back in 1997. Someone get Andy Bumatai here, because he had a pretty big part in it.

From what I heard, there wasn't a McGarrett character, but instead there were two lead roles played by Gary Busey and some other guy. (I think the other guy was Russell Wong. He was the abusive husband in "Joy Luck Club.") The cast stayed at the Ilikai Hotel. (Well, at least Busey did.) A couple of times he came to the comedy club I ran downstairs in the hotel. He was cool to me, but I hear his treatment of hotel staff left room for improvement.

One hotel employee was yelled at when he asked, "Wow, can I have your autograph, Mr. Nolte?"

Comment

Here's the picture of Zulu a few days before he passed away.

W/ people blacked out to protect identity
                Last edited by damontucker; June 21, 2006, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I wish they would release the TV series on DVD.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

hi this is sansei and im now watching not the remake only the original on Kwhe tv 14 and it bring's back so many memorie's with deceased actor's zulou and Kam fong and Jack lord along with the actor who played first Officer Duke and then on Mcgarret's team and this is the best hawaii 5-0 since it discontiuned making hawaii 5-0.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Didn't we have a cop show titled Hawaii starring Michael Biehn that aired on NBC?
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                        Yeah, they shot a pilot back in 1997. Someone get Andy Bumatai here, because he had a pretty big part in it.

From what I heard, there wasn't a McGarrett character, but instead there were two lead roles played by Gary Busey and some other guy. (I think the other guy was Russell Wong. He was the abusive husband in "Joy Luck Club.") The cast stayed at the Ilikai Hotel. (Well, at least Busey did.) A couple of times he came to the comedy club I ran downstairs in the hotel. He was cool to me, but I hear his treatment of hotel staff left room for improvement.

One hotel employee was yelled at when he asked, "Wow, can I have your autograph, Mr. Nolte?"
                        Did Gary Busey gave him an uncomfortable hug back then too?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          Didn't we have a cop show titled Hawaii starring Michael Biehn that aired on NBC?
                          Sure did, we even discuss it when it aired, got about 3 threads about it at:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=801

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=2379

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=2795

By the way a check on IMDb today says that this project will be released in 2010. I don't know if this will be a movie, a TV movie or a series.
                          Last edited by helen; March 26, 2008, 10:36 PM.

Comment

I have attached an article from the Star Bulletin which is the most current news on Five-O movie. I have read the movie is still on the books to be made. I read somewhere the 1997 movie with Gary Busey was horrible! It seems very unlikely that this pilot will ever see the light of day. According to a source at CBS: "The pilot was produced and given limited viewing amongst CBS exectives and staff in TV City. It was considered unairable (completely missing the point and flavor of the original)." Karen Rhodes, author of a book on Five-O, also gives some insight into why the pilot will never be shown.

In The Can and Out of the Loop
                            This source writes:

How's this for an item. Heard that one of the reasons, in addition to [Gary] Busey's illness [he had a tumor removed from a sinus cavity after the pilot was filmed] and the fact that the [Hawaii Five-0 revival pilot] movie was simply bad, was because -- of all things -- Detective Chin Ho Kelly.

"Sources say that [producer Stephen J.] Cannell was never a diehard fan of the show in its heyday, but to prepare for his new project, he screened dozens of the show's best episodes to get a "feel" for the series. Unfortunately, one ep he did not screen was Chin Ho's swan song in "[A] Death in the Family" . . . He therefore unknowingly thought the character was still alive and unwittingly wrote a fairly prominent supporting role for him in the new pilot.
                            Warner Bros. takes on ‘Hawaii Five-O’ film
                            Thirty-six years after "Hawaii Five-O" debuted on CBS, Warner Bros. Pictures confirmed yesterday that it will co-produce the long-awaited feature film based on the hit series. "After winning a highly competitive challenge for the (movie) rights, the studio will co-produce the film with George Litto (Productions)," said a Warner Bros. official who requested anonymity. The tentatively titled "Hawaii Five-0 the Movie" "will be a gritty, realistic cop drama set in the lush tropical setting of the Hawaiian Islands," the official said.
                            Side point........I think Matt Damon or Rick Schroder would make an excellent Danno. What do you think?

The Governor -James Mcarthur
                            I can't think of anyone who could play McGarrett. Could they do CGI???

Comment

Originally posted by coop5054 View Post
                              [...]
                              "As I was told, Fong really was the winner in this because he had nothing to lose. The way he figured it, if Cannell was launching a new series that included the old guys, then it was Cannell's responsibility to know Chin Ho was dead. It didn't necessarily fall on Fong to tell him. Best case scenario, if the show got picked up, then by keeping quiet and getting as much airtime as possible, he would thereby force Cannell into thinking up a way to bring Chin Ho back to life. Yes, it'd be a major headache, but one Cannell asked for. Worse case scenario, if it didn't get picked up (as is now the case), he got a wellpaying acting gig and got to catch up and reunite with a lot of old co-workers. In any case, he couldn't lose, particularly not with his old friends turning their heads the other way. If Cannell called them on it, they could all certainly claim ignorance.[...]"
                              Wow! Based on this account of what happened, it certainly doesn't appear Fong, or any other cast member, was at all responsible. Obviously not enough research was done, whether by Cannell or his staff.

That kinda surprises me as when a Cannell show was shooting in Hawaii many years ago, his office contacted me looking for books about pidgin. Cannell was doing his homework.

Comment

Working...
                              X