No announcement yet.

'Auhea 'oukou e na 'olelo Hawai'i e.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Auhea 'oukou e na 'olelo Hawai'i e.

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Although I don't speak Hawaiian, I am always happy to hear it. If I can't hear people speaking Hawaiian in Hawai?i, then where can I?

The other day I was in CompUSA looking at the cameras, and a couple of ladies came in and started browsing next to me. One of them was admiring the lens size of one camera. "Oh, nui!" she commented, tracing her finger along the lens casing. Then she pulled out her phone and called someone to discuss, in ??lelo Hawai?i, which camera she should buy -- or at least, that's what I think the conversation was about, judging from the occasional words I could catch, like "Fuji", "Canon", "Sony", "Compact Flash", and "six megapixels".
    What I find the most challenging is to NOT maha'oi myself when surrounded by those who olelo, but aren't speaking to me. Just because I could communicate with them doesn't give me the right to eavesdrop onto their business. {pssst, but it is so haaaarrd not to }

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
      What I find the most challenging is to NOT maha'oi myself when surrounded by those who olelo, but aren't speaking to me. Just because I could communicate with them doesn't give me the right to eavesdrop onto their business. {pssst, but it is so haaaarrd not to }
      I know what you're saying...whenever I hear it, my ears perk up and I automatically listen in even though they are not talking to me!

What is funny is that several times I've caught people talking about me, not realizing maopopo ia'u. Especially once it was two guys asking each other if 'o ia kou makemake?, while nodding towards me, and I kinda had to giggle about it to know that here they were, trying to be discreet me ka wala'au ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i ... in front of a kumu kaiapuni ua mino'aka wale no au ia laua a ma ka ha'alele 'ana, ua ha'i au ia laua 'a'ole paha au kou makemake, aka mahalo nui i ko 'olua kokua 'ana mai ia'u a i ka ho'omau 'ana i ka 'olelo hawai'i... a pu'iwa no ko laua maka! heehee.

Now I know I have to be careful of what I'm saying with my hoa kumu when out because more and more people understand and probably perk up and listen in as well even so, hu a'ela no ke aloha i loko o'u ke lohe i ka 'olelo hawai'i ma ka hale ku'ai, ma kahakai, ma ka hale ho'ike ki'i'oni'oni...kulu wale na waimaka.

No laila mahalo ia 'olua no keia "kama'ilio" ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i, a e huikala mai no ho'i i ka'u hana maha'oi, ka ho'olohelohe 'ana i ko 'olua kama'ilio! heehee. no laila, i keia manawa, e ho'i ana au i na aka ...

Comment

aue ka hoomakeaka e!

Aia au he haumana olelo no 15+ makahiki, e kakoo ana i ka'u mau keiki mai ko lakou wa kula kamalii. Ma loko o keia wa loihi, hoomaopopo no au i ka manawa a'u i kamaaina i na alo a pau o kela me keia kanaka i wali ka olelo...aka, ua pau kela manawa a ua hiki mai ka wa ma o loa. I keia manawa, aole hiki ke wanana 'na wai kela keiki e olelo ana?' A ina hiki ke lohe 'ia ka olelo, me ke kamaaina ole i ia kanaka, a me kona makua, hu ke nui a'e nei kakou ka puulu olelo hawaii!

nani!

aloha, P

pax

Comment

heheheheh. This kinda reminds me of an incident at Ooka Supermarket on Maui. For years and years, the clerks there were mostly of Japanese ancestry. Then in the last 15 years or so, as those ladies retired, the clerks ended up being mostly Filipino. A bunch of customers (mostly older local people) once complained to the owner, Byron, that they didn't like the fact that the clerks were only speaking in Tagalog to each other. I guess they resented the fact that they didn't know what they were saying...probably thought the clerks were talking stink about them behind their backs. So Byron had to go tell the clerks to only speak English when they were at their cash registers...

Carry on, though, I love the sound of mo'olelo, even though I only can pick out a few words here and there...

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think this is great. If there isn't a whole message board devoted to conversing in the Hawaiian language, there should be. I'm glad to have a little `olelo Hawaii here, in the mean time, and hope to see more.

Heck, I'd support an area here to practice, study, and converse in Hawaiian. In fact, the software that runs this site can support language sets, so conceivably one could toggle it to see the entire interface in Hawaiian.

Comment

Aloha kakou a pau,

Aue, he piha ko'u na'au i ka 'oli'oli no ka 'ike 'ana i keia 'akoakoa lehulehu 'ana o na kanaka o kela 'ano keia 'ano i ho'ohui 'ia no ko lakou hoihoi like i keia mea waiwai lua 'ole, 'o ka 'olelo Hawai'i. Eia hou ho'i, 'o ko 'oukou mau pane 'ana mai a me ko 'oukou 'olelo kuka'i 'ana kekahi i kekahi, he ho'ailona pomaika'i no ia no ka ikaika o ko 'oukou 'i'ini nui e ho'oma'ike'ike ia 'oukou iho ma na 'ano a pau ma o ia 'olelo makamae o kakou.

'Apopo, a i 'ole i ka la 'apopo a ia la aku, e ho'a'o ana wau e lawe hou mai i kekahi mau la'ana pauku mai ka mo'olelo o La'ieikawai, a e paleo paha kakou e pili ana no ia mau pauku. Aka, ina 'oukou makemake, hiki ke lawe 'ia mai kekahi mau mea hou aku, me ke koina na'e e kakau 'ia ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i.

Ina no paha 'a'ole wau ho'i mai i keia kahua punaewele i ka la 'apopo, a laila, e ho'opa'aha'awina ana no paha i "te reo Maori," no ka mea, 'o ia no kekahi o na 'olelo a'u e ho'a'o nei e a'o mai. Ina he hoihoi ko kekahi o 'oukou i ke a'o mai i te reo Maori, hiki ke hahai aku i keia loulou ma'ane'i http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=f1bb5cd1e5a9889252d8fd9e9c6 64be8. Ma ka wahi nona ia loulou, aia kekahi "kaiako," ka hua'olelo Maori no "kumu a'o," nana e ho'olako manuahi nei i kekahi mo'oha'awina reo Maori, a ua noa i ka lehulehu. Aka, no ke kawala o na kanaka, 'o wau wale no ka haumana nana e a'o nei i ia 'olelo ma kela kahua punaewele a puni. Kalele wau i ke ko'iko'i ma luna o ka 'olelo Hawai'i, aia na'e, he mea kokua i kekahi manawa ke ku'upau 'ana i ka 'a'apo mai i na 'olelo 'e a'e i pili i keia 'olelo.

E Malia, ka mea nana i kikokiko i keia "e huikala mai no ho'i i ka'u hana maha'oi, ka ho'olohelohe 'ana i ko 'olua kama'ilio! heehee. no laila, i keia manawa, e ho'i ana au i na aka." Mai hopohopo no kou komo 'ana i loko o keia 'olelo kuka'i, 'oiai, 'o ia ka mea i ho'omaka 'ia ai keia. Ke paipai nei wau ia 'oe e ho'i mai e like me kou makemake a ho'ike i kou mana'o no na mea e kukakuka 'ia ana e na lala, a e ka'ana like paha i kekahi mau kumuhana 'e aku āu e mana'o ai he pono.

A hui hou aku no, e o'u makamaka o neia kahua punaewele.

Me ka ha'aha'a mau no,
              na 'I'iwi
              Last edited by 'i'iwipolena; June 24, 2006, 02:09 AM.
              I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.

Comment

I agree w/ PZ about the Hawaiian postings...

I just wish I could understand what the heck they saying!

For what it is worth to this discussion board...

There is a conference going on at Kam School this weekend entitled:

`Aha Kane: Native Hawaiian Men's Health Conference.

My father-in-law was flown in from the Big Island to speak today....(in english as he is still learning Hawaiian himself although he is Hawaiian)

"Ina pa`a `ole ka pohaku kihi, haule ka paia"

If the corner stone is not set properly, the wall shall collapse

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  There is a conference going on at Kam School this weekend entitled: `Aha Kane: Native Hawaiian Men's Health Conference.
                  Kam School? Where's that? The United Kingdom? Seriously... of all threads to use that oft-protested shorthand reference... but it's cool your dad is participating.

Anyway. Carry on. Er, I mean... e wala'au hou `oukou, ke `oluolu.

(Eh, what happened to the cool Kam School parody site?)

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Beverly Harbin threatened to sue?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Kam School? Where's that? The United Kingdom? Seriously... of all threads to use that oft-protested shorthand reference... but it's cool your dad is participating.

Anyway. Carry on. Er, I mean... e wala'au hou `oukou, ke `oluolu.

Not my dad... my father-in-law...

For all I know... MY Dad could have gone to Kam school in the United Kingdom

Comment

Okay, I decided that for the posts that I make in Hawaiian, I will include an English translation which will be as close as I can manage to the Hawaiian posts. Because of the transfer of ideas from one language to another, the English translation may seem awkward at times.

Originally posted by 'i'iwipolena
                        Aloha kakou a pau,

Auē, he piha ko'u na'au i ka 'oli'oli no ka 'ike 'ana i kēia 'ākoakoa lehulehu 'ana o nā kānaka o kēlā 'ano kēia 'ano i ho'ohui 'ia no ko lākou hoihoi like i kēia mea waiwai lua 'ole, 'o ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i. Eia hou ho'i, 'o ko 'oukou mau pane 'ana mai a me ko 'oukou 'ōlelo kūka'i 'ana kekahi i kekahi, he hō'ailona pōmaika'i nō ia no ka ikaika o ko 'oukou 'i'ini nui e ho'omā'ike'ike iā 'oukou iho ma nā 'ano a pau ma o ia 'ōlelo makamae o kākou.

'Apōpō, a i 'ole i ka lā 'apōpō a ia lā aku, e ho'ā'o ana wau e lawe hou mai i kekahi mau la'ana paukū mai ka mo'olelo o Lā'ieikawai, a e pāleo paha kākou e pili ana no ia mau paukū. Akā, inā 'oukou makemake, hiki ke lawe 'ia mai kekahi mau mea hou aku, me ke koina na'e e kākau 'ia ma ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i.

Inā nō paha 'a'ole wau e ho'i mai i kēia kahua pūnaewele i ka lā 'apōpō, a laila, e ho'opa'aha'awina ana nō paha i "te reo Māori," no ka mea, 'o ia nō kekahi o nā 'ōlelo a'u e ho'ā'o nei e a'o mai. Inā he hoihoi ko kekahi o 'oukou i ke a'o mai i te reo Māori, hiki ke hahai aku i kēia loulou ma'ane'i http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=f1bb5cd1e5a9889252d8fd9e9c6 64be8. Ma ka wahi nona ia loulou, aia kekahi "kaiako," ka hua'olelo Māori no "kumu a'o," nāna e ho'olako manuahi nei i kekahi mo'oha'awina reo Māori, a ua noa i ka lehulehu. Akā, no ke kāwala o nā kānaka, 'o wau wale nō ka haumana nāna e a'o nei i ia 'olelo ma kēlā kahua pūnaewele a puni. Kālele wau i ke ko'iko'i ma luna o ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i, aia na'e, he mea kōkua i kekahi manawa ke ku'upau 'ana i ka 'a'apo mai i nā 'ōlelo 'ē a'e i pili i kēia 'olelo.

E Malia, ka mea nāna i kikokiko i kēia "e huikala mai nō ho'i i ka'u hana maha'oi, ka ho'olohelohe 'ana i ko 'olua kama'ilio! heehee. no laila, i kēia manawa, e ho'i ana au i nā aka." Mai hopohopo no kou komo 'ana i loko o kēia 'olelo kuka'i, 'oiai, 'o ia ka mea i ho'omaka 'ia ai kēia. Ke paipai nei wau iā 'oe e ho'i mai e like me kou makemake a hō'ike i kou mana'o no nā mea e kūkākūkā 'ia ana e nā lala, a e ka'ana like paha i kekahi mau kumuhana 'ē aku āu e mana'o ai he pono.

Ā hui hou aku no, e o'u makamaka o nēia kahua pūnaewele.

Me ka ha'aha'a mau no,
                        na 'I'iwi
                        Translation:

Greetings to all of us,

Wow, my heart is filled with joy to see this gathering of people of various backgrounds being united for their interest in this subject of umatched worth, the Hawaiian language. Morever, as for your replies and conversations with eachother (in this thread), it is a fortunate symbol of your strong desire to express yourself in all dimensions through this precious language of ours.

Tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, I will try to bring some example paragraphs from the story of (about) La'ieikawai, and perhaps we can converse a little about these paragraphs. But, if you guys want, other things (subjects) can be brought in, with the requirement however that it be written in the Hawaiian language.

If I do not return to this site tomorrow, then, I'll probably be studying "te reo Maori," because, it is one of the languages that I am trying to learn. If some of you are interested in learning the Maori language, (you) can follow this link here http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/viewforum.php?f=39. At the place at for which this link is, there is a "kaiako," the Maori word for "kumu," who is freely supplying a Maori language curriculum, and it is open to the public. But, because of the insufficient (number) of people (intersted in Maori), I am the only student stydying the aforementioned language (Maori) on that entire site. I place emphasis on the importance of the Hawaiian language, however, at some times striving to grasp other languages related to this language (Hawaiian) can be of help.

And by the way, Malia, who typed thusly "Please forgive me for being nosey by eavesdroping in on your conversation. heehee. so, at this time, I am returning to the shadows." Don't worry for having engaged in this discussion, because, that's the reason this (discussion) was started. I encourage you to return (here) as much as you want and show your own opinions for things being discussed by the members, and to perhaps share some other subjects which you consider appropriate.

Until we meet again, my friends of this site.

With continued humbleness,
                        by 'I'iwi
                        Last edited by 'i'iwipolena; June 24, 2006, 02:14 PM.
                        I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.

Comment

Just a reminder that the Star-Bulletin has been publishing a weekly column (every Sunday) in Hawaiian for some time now. Today's is at http://starbulletin.com/2006/06/25/n...ukalahale.html .

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 'i'iwipolena
                            Okay, I decided that for the posts that I make in Hawaiian, I will include an English translation which will be as close as I can manage to the Hawaiian posts. Because of the transfer of ideas from one language to another, the English translation may seem awkward at times.

Translation:

Greetings to all of us,

Wow, my heart is filled with joy to see this gathering of people of various backgrounds being united for their interest in this subject of umatched worth, the Hawaiian language. Morever, as for your replies and conversations with eachother (in this thread), it is a fortunate symbol of your strong desire to express yourself in all dimensions through this precious language of ours.

Tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, I will try to bring some example paragraphs from the story of (about) La'ieikawai, and perhaps we can converse a little about these paragraphs. But, if you guys want, other things (subjects) can be brought in, with the requirement however that it be written in the Hawaiian language.

If I do not return to this site tomorrow, then, I'll probably be studying "te reo Maori," because, it is one of the languages that I am trying to learn. If some of you are interested in learning the Maori language, (you) can follow this link here http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/viewforum.php?f=39. At the place at for which this link is, there is a "kaiako," the Maori word for "kumu," who is freely supplying a Maori language curriculum, and it is open to the public. But, because of the insufficient (number) of people (intersted in Maori), I am the only student stydying the aforementioned language (Maori) on that entire site. I place emphasis on the importance of the Hawaiian language, however, at some times striving to grasp other languages related to this language (Hawaiian) can be of help.

And by the way, Malia, who typed thusly "Please forgive me for being nosey by eavesdroping in on your conversation. heehee. so, at this time, I am returning to the shadows." Don't worry for having engaged in this discussion, because, that's the reason this (discussion) was started. I encourage you to return (here) as much as you want and show your own opinions for things being discussed by the members, and to perhaps share some other subjects which you consider appropriate.

Until we meet again, my friends of this site.

With continued humbleness,
                            by 'I'iwi
                            Mahalo...and thanks for making that part blue...my favorite color I think Hawaiian should be taught in all public and private schools here so all of the keiki growing up can have a greater appreciation for the beautiful sound that eminates from a true speaker of the Hawaiian language...unlike Korean. Man I used to go to the Korean Christian Church in Liliha and had to sit thru the Korean service. I tell you it was like living Leviticus all over again. I felt as if I was being lectured. At one point I thought the pastor was about ready to Hock a Lewey the way they make that sound reminiscent of clearing one's throat.

Word of advice, don't sit in the front pews at a Korean church unless you want to be annointed!
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Aloha hou mai no kakou a pau e na hoa makamaka,

Ua ho'i mai nei au i keia kahua punaewele ma hope o kekahi mau la 'ano nui me ka mana'o e ho'oko i ka'u 'olelo ho'ohiki ia 'oukou ma kahi o ho'okahi hepekoma aku nei, 'o ia ho'i, ke lawe hou mai nei no wau i kekahi mau wahi 'apana 'u'uku hou o kekahi mo'olelo i kakau maiau 'ia ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i 'oia'i'o maoli. Aka, 'a'ole na'e i kaualako 'ia mai nei keia mau mamala 'olelo mai loko a'e o ka mo'olelo no La'ieikawai, aka, no loko a'e no ia o Ka Puke Mo'olelo o Hon. Iosepa Nawahiokalani'opu'u. 'O ia puke la, he puke piliolana no ia i kakau 'ia ma kahi o ho'okahi hanele makahiki aku nei no kekahi o ko Hawai'i mau pua kaulana no Iosepa Nawahiokalani'opu'u. Ho'okolo ua puke piliolana nei i ke ola 'ana o ua 'o Nawahiokalani'opu'u mai kona hanau 'ana, a kona o'o 'ana a'e i kanaka makua, a hiki loa i ka pio 'ana iho o ke ahi o ke kukui la'ahia o kona ola 'ana. Eia hou ho'i, 'o ka mea hoihoi loa o ua puke nei, ua kakau 'ia e Kahikina Kelekona (J.G.M Sheldon), a i ko'u wahi mana'o, 'o ia ka 'oi kelakela o na mea kakau 'olelo Hawai'i o kona au. Kuhikuhi maoli no 'o Kahikina Kelekona i kona makau ho'opunihei mea heluhelu ma o ka nani a me ka ho'ohiluhilu o kana 'olelo, ana i ka'ana like ai me kakou, na kanaka hoihoi 'olelo 'oiwi i koe ma ke ao e ne'e mua aku nei. Eia iho kekahi la'ana o kana mau 'olelo wai meli i kaheawai mai kana maka kila i ka pepa puke, a i ho'opiha i na pu'uwai mana'olana o kakou e ola nei:

A ma muli o ke kono 'ana a nā mākua mea keiki, ua ho'okahua ihola ia i kāna kula ma uka o Waiānuenue, Pi'ihonua, a 'o kekahi o kāna mau haumāna i hele ma ia kula e ola mai nei, nā hō'ike no ko Iosepa punia me nā ha'awina ohohia ulumāhiehie o ka pauaho 'ole ma ka ho'oikaika 'ana e kanu aku i nā 'ano'ano o ka 'ike i loko o kāna mahina 'ai ho'ona'auao no ka pono a me ka holomua o nā 'ōpio o kona lāhui.

He kanaka 'o Iosepa Nāwahī e hō'ike mai ana i ke ake nui o kona no'ono'o e ho'ohana iā ia iho no ka 'imi 'ana aku i kahi e loa'a ai iā ia nā kumu o nā mana wai o ke ulakolako a me ke kū'ono'ono i hiki ai iā ia ke kū a mālo'elo'e ma luna o ka papakū o ka palekana i hiki ai ke 'alo a'e i nā kīkīao kualau a me nā kuāua o ka nele a me ka hune, e ho'omakauli'i ana no ka lā i 'ike 'ole 'ia kona po'ipū mai—a hō'oia 'ia ai kekahi mau māhele 'ōlelo kaulana, ka mea āna e 'ōkomo aku ai i loko o kāna mau haumāna i puana 'ia penei,

"Mai nā kulu wai me nā hune one li'ili'i,
                              Loa'a ka moana kai hohonu a me ka 'āina kilohana."
                              Ke heluhelu 'ia keia mau pauku pokole wale, ho'omaopopo koke 'ia no ka lae'ula o Kahikina Kelekona ma ka hana kakau puke 'ana. He mea keia mo'olelo piliolana e ho'oulu mai nei i ku'u 'o'ili e ho'oikaika a loa'a ka makau kuhohonu o ka 'olelo Hawai'i i like me ke 'ano i loa'a ia Kahikina Kelekona, i hiki ai ke lilo au i mea kakau 'olelo Hawai'i no ka wa hou o kakou e noho nei. Ke mana'o lana nei no ho'i wau e lilo keia mau wahi pauku i kumu e paipai ai i na kanaka o keia mau pae'aina aloha e hapai hou a'e i ka hana nui o ke a'o hou 'ana mai i ka 'olelo hiwahiwa o ko Hawai'i nei po'e. 'O ia ihola no.

E ho'oka'ulua ana au i ka'u unuhi 'olelo 'ana i keia leka a hiki i ka la 'apopo, a i 'ole ia, i ka la 'apopo a ia la aku. Aka, no ke 'ano 'olelo ho'ohiluhilu a ua 'o Kelekona, he huikau i ko'u mana'o kekahi o na mea i puana'i 'ia a'e nei, no laila ke ualo ha'aha'a aku nei au i ku'u mau makamaka 'olelo Hawai'i e komo pu ma loko o keia hana e kokua ai ia'u i ka unuhi 'ana i ka puana'i ma luna a'e nei i lawe 'ia mai ka puke piliolana o Iosepa Nawahiokalani'opu'u. (I'm delaying my translation of this post until tomorrow or the day after. However, because of the decorative language of Kelekona, some of what is quoted is unclear to me, so I'm humbly asking my friends of the Hawaiian language to join in this task to help me translate the quote above taken from the biography of Iosepa Nawahiokalani'opu'u)

edit: I decided to add the link to the paragraphs from the book here also. Iosepa Nawahi (Mok.2)

Me ke aloha mau no,
                              'I'iwipolena
                              Last edited by 'i'iwipolena; June 30, 2006, 10:31 PM. Reason: I forgot to add a hyperlink to the text.

Comment

e 'I'iwi e,

e hoike mai i ka aoao o keia mau pauku, i hiki ia kakou a pau ke heluhelu i ka poaiapili holookoa

http://ulukau.org/elib/cgi-bin/library?c=nawahi&l=haw

mahalo,
                                PM

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X