Remakes/remixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remakes/remixes

Have you ever heard a song and thought "that sounds familiar"? This is a thread about remakes/remixes.

Have you ever heard a remake and thought it was way better than the original?

I'll start this with "Pictures of Matchstick Men" by Camper Van Beethoven. The orginal was done by Status Quo. Camper rules.

The next is "I Like To Move It" by Sasha Baron Cohen. Scores of people have done this but the Madagascar version rocks.
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Re: Remakes/remixes

I've heard some good remakes lately. Dar Williams does Comfortably Numb very nicely.

My own personal preference, but I really love the Jerry Garcia Band version of many old standards best.

Bob Dylan was a great writer, but I'll take the Dead doing it their way every time.

What I've noticed recently is a lot of songs take a sample from an old song and turn it into a totally different song. Rihanna uses Tainted love in SOS.

When Vanilla Ice did it, it was taboo (kapu). When the Beastie Boys used a lot of Beatles music in their breakout album, it was cool. Then they figured out somebody should get paid for that. So, they say, you couldn't afford to make that album again today if you had to pay for all the samples.

They are doing it a lot more now, did it suddenly get cheaper?

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan
      They are doing it a lot more now, did it suddenly get cheaper?
      Yes and no - it's more common practice now, as resolution of the legal and licensing issues (and payment structures) for sampling have caught up with the creative users.

Comment

I've mentioned before that I actually like the cover of "Baby Can I Hold You Tonight" by Ale'a better than the original by Tracy Chapman.

And since my kids have been playing the "Cars" soundtrack nonstop for several days, I've taken a liking to Rascal Flatt's cover of Tom Cochran's "Life is a Highway" -- as my wife notes, his voice grates, but the energy is contagious.

Comment

Ahh.. covers.

One of the most powerful that comes to mind still is Van Halen's cover of You Really Got Me by The Kinks. I mean, Eruption.. than that...Whoah!

Speaking of Van Halen and remixes, Tone-Loc's incorporation of Jaimie's Cryin' guitar chorus samples on Wild Thing and Funky Cold Medina was quite catchy.

Natalie Cole's Unforgettable album - a reprise of all her father's (Nat King Cole) hits - was absolutely BRILLIANT. A MUST own.

So far, the two tracks played on air from Def Leppard's new YEAH! all-covers album don't excite me. Especially their first release of Rock On by David Essex. The synths gotta' go.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

For me the acid test is if it is feels better than the original.

For example, I am torn between the original "Mad World" by Tears For Fears versus the Gary Jules version ala "Donnie Darko"

The original brings back so many good memories. Sun, surf, new wave girls with new wave hair-dos. The fledgling and mighty 106.7.

The remake slows down considerably and is played on a piano. Very autumnal. Very where I am at in life.

Comment

"Hazy Shade of Winter"

originally done by Simon and Garfunkel, but to me the better version is by The Bangles

Also, even tho' I'm not much of a fan of Fiona Apple, her version of "Across the Universe" is pretty amazing, and as much as I am a huge Beatle fan, I think I like her version better (sacrelige, i know).

Tho' Apple sand the song, the real credit goes to producer Jon Brion for that version of the song.

Pretty much any Dylan song is better when done by someone else...to ME anyway....that voice just gets on my nerves.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Wonderful World - Bruddah Iz
                Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  One of the most powerful that comes to mind still is Van Halen's cover of You Really Got Me by The Kinks. I mean, Eruption.. than that...Whoah!
                  What was a sign of things to come for former frontman David Lee Roth, in 1982 Van Halen cut an all accapella singing rendition of the old Roy Rogers tune, "Happy Trails." I liked that.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I will probably get bashed for this but I like RHCP's version of "Higher Ground" versus Stevie Wonders.

There I said it..............

Not so controversial but I prefer Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along The Watch Tower" versus Bob Dylan.
                    Last edited by nachodaddy; June 22, 2006, 12:24 PM. Reason: Jimi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                      I will probably get bashed for this but I like RHCP's version of "higher ground" versus Stevie Wonders.

There I said it..............
                      I'll bash: crappy singing, he can't hit the highest note of each phrase.

But...for sheer power, it totally rocks! This is a "play it loud, or don't play it at all" track.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        What was a sign of things to come for former frontman David Lee Roth, in 1982 Van Halen cut an all accapella singing rendition of the old Roy Rogers tune, "Happy Trails." I liked that.
                        Ahh, yes.. from the Diver Down album. Sounded like they were drunk when they recorded it (probably were).

A hit music video during DLR's solo career was his cover of the Beach Boy's CALIFORNIA GIRLS.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                          I'll bash: crappy singing, he can't hit the highest note of each phrase.

But...for sheer power, it totally rocks! This is a "play it loud, or don't play it at all" track.
                          So you probably don't like their version of "love rollercoaster"..........

Another Seattle one- "Man Who Sold the World"- Nirvana or David Bowie?

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                            "Hazy Shade of Winter"

originally done by Simon and Garfunkel, but to me the better version is by The Bangles
                            I like the even more recent cover by Bodyjar.

Comment

So you probably don't like their version of "love rollercoaster"..........
                              Heh. Actually, I do.
                              Another Seattle one- "Man Who Sold the World"- Nirvana or David Bowie?
                              Gotta go with Bowie this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X