Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remakes/remixes

"A Girl Like You, Wall of Sleep - Smithereens"

Saw them last year in Tacoma. Older, bigger, but they still rock!!!!

"Behind The Wall Of Sleep" is the first bass line I learned.
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

My favorite remakes/covers:

Jagged Edge's cover of "All Out Of Love"
      Justin Kawika Young's cover of "Leaving On A Jet Plane"
      Revival's live cover of "Your House"
      The Next Generation's cover of "La La Means I Love You"
      Justin Kawika Young & Bitty McLean's cover of "More Than Words"
      The Goops' cover of "Build Me Up Buttercup"
      Forte featuring Glenn Mederios - "Nothings Going To Change My Love"

Comment

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes is a punk band that exclusively does covers.

I don't think I've ever heard a cover from them I didn't like.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I'm generally anti-cover, anti-remake but there are exceptions.

I love Def Leppard, but their cover of "Rock On," which I was never too keen on in the first place, bites. Why on earth would such a hot band do covers? Too lazy to write more kick-arse original tunes? The muse didn't strike in time to meet some contractual obligation? Lame.

I do like Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" better than the Dylan version, but I don't like GNR's remake of "Knockin' on Heavens Door" better -- I like 'em equally for different reasons -- but not more.

I was blown away the first time I heard Limp Bizkit do "Behind Blue Eyes." I liked it! I really liked it! (I know lots of people HATE it.) Not better than the original by The Who, but I thought it paid proper respect to the original while Fred Durst also made it his own.

Don't hate me but I do like Bananarama's "Venus." Not as much as the Shocking Blue version in a way, but more than it, in another. I can't explain it -- and shouldn't have to -- hey, it was the 80s!

I can't find reliable information on the original artist who recorded "Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody." I've found Louis Prima (who David Lee Roth grew up listening to) and Marlene Dietrich.
          Anyway, I adore DLR's version. It was a fun, party song when it came out and that's how I remember it. I'm sure the Louis Prima version was too ... I just don't know that I've ever heard it.

"Europa," written by Carlos Santana and Tom Coster for the 1976 "Amigos" album has been remade many times and I love the versions I previously posted about.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Speaking of covers, it's no secret that local recording artists have no fear of them. I recently picked up the new Sammy Hagar cd "Livin it Up". The second song, "Livin On A Coastline" is near perfect for a local style remake. The originals lyric & melody are perfect, and there's even a good "skank" going on.

I'll take credit for the first band to cover it

Comment

Wot, No one even mentions "I'm a Believer"?? Monkees/Smash Mouth

I hear one time some one (a local artist) did "Sweet Child in Time" of Guns and Roses fame. Much mellower. I could like them both.

Comment

The person who wrote and originally recorded "I'm a Believer" is Neil Diamond. So The Monkees already did a remake when they first turned it into a huge #1 hit in 1966.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                  The person who wrote and originally recorded "I'm a Believer" is Neil Diamond. So The Monkees already did a remake when they first turned it into a huge #1 hit in 1966.
                  You can't really call the Monkees' version a "remake," since Diamond didn't release his own version of it until 1967, on the Bang LP, "Just For You." At the request of Don Kirshner & producer Jeff Barry (who produced Diamond's "Cherry, Cherry"), Diamond submitted several songs for the Monkees TV show - "I'm A Believer" was among them. Diamond himself thought little of the song; it was a throw-away, a happy little piece intended as album filler. He played guitar on the Monkees session, in October 1966.

Comment

when the Gourds covered Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice", I was mesmerized with it. A hiphop song owned by a bluegrass sound.

pax

Comment

Working...
                    X