Any camera shops in Hawai'i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any camera shops in Hawai'i?

I'm looking to buy a monopod (one legged), but I can't seem to find any camera shop in Hawai'i when I looked through the phone book.

I heard Francis Camera has closed down.

Kaimuki Camera
    Ritz Camera

Is there any other places?

Re: Any camera shops in Hawai'i?

Kaimuki Camera is a very good bet. The guys there seem to know everything. I don't know about Ritz camera, but isn't there something on Young Street, between Piikoi and Keeaumoku?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I saw Ritz Camera recently and remember being surprised to see it 'there'. I just don't remember where 'there' was!!! You might try Best Buy and Video Life. Francis Camera did have monopods but, yeah, they closed. What about Circuit City?

Comment

I recently bought a new monopod at Kaimuki Camera (my old one developed the dreaded "monopod sink" and couldn't hold up a 400 or 600 anymore). Great store, friendly guy owns it. I get all my stuff there. They had many in stock from cheap flimsy affairs, several Bogens (which I ended up getting) and several Gitzos (which, sadly, I can't afford).

Personally, I stay away from Ritz, kind of expensive, and not a very big selection of anything.

Comment

I'm looking to get Bogen 679b monopod. It's $50 at Kaimuki. I was looking at 676 at B&H Photo.com for $28, but the cheapest I can find at local retailer is $50.

Isn't Video Life pro-Sony company? I think they only sell Sony-related products.

Comment

Originally posted by johnkim0011
            [...]Isn't Video Life pro-Sony company? I think they only sell Sony-related products.
            Yep...Sony. Don't know if they're all Sony or mostly Sony but I have seen tripods there. I've never been in the market for a monopod so didn't do a thorough check of that area of the store.

Comment

The place on Young St. was Super Save Camera. The guy who ran the place had all kinds of used gear. Unfortunately the place closed down about 4 years ago.

As things now go, Kaimuki Camera is probably the only "old school" camera shop in Honolulu.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yup. Just Kaimuki Camera. Very slim pickings.

I think there's another Ritz in Waikiki. Next to the surfboard rack by the Duke statue. If its not Ritz then its a company that is very similar.

Comment

Anything bought locally is often going to be way more expensive than mail-order. Thus I usually only buy local when a) I need the doohickey immediately, or b) the price won't be that much more with shipping. The thing with any mail order to Hawaii (esp. electronics) is that it all has to be shipped 2nd day air, which adds a hefty sum to the price. But, if the mainland+2nd air price is remotely near the local price, then I'll just buy local.

Not that this has to do with camera gear, but I need to buy another speaker cabinet for my bass rig. What I want is not available locally, so I'll have to pay the $100+ shipping for 2nd day air. The cabinets I have now I bought at Easy Music on Keeaumoku for a very reasonable price (less than what I'd pay had I ordered from the mainland). But I need a smaller cabinet which I haven't found here yet... sucks...

Comment

With the GE tax increasing next year, there will be more people buying through mail order than locally for certain things like electronics, computer and camera gear. Actually one of my favorite places to buy is Amazon.com. If you buy stuff that is over $25 in price, you get free shipping to Hawaii by U.S. mail. Takes about one week, but hey, for free and if I don't need it immediately, then I'm ok with waiting. I've bought camera gear through Amazon, and also CDs and DVDs too. Sometimes Amazon goes through other vendors such as J & R Photo or B & H. You gotta really be aware of this because sometimes some vendors don't offer the free shipping.

If you need your item like the next day or whatever, Amazon has other shipping options at various price points.
                    Last edited by mel; June 27, 2006, 12:13 AM.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I called both Ritz Camera and Kaimuki Camera..

RITZ CAMERA sells BOGEN 676B monopod for $48 (which is $28 at B&H Photo)

KAIMUKI CAMERA sells BOGEN 679B monopod for $50 (which is about same as B&H Photo.. I think it was like $48)

679B is higher-end model than 676B.

Ritz Camera.. what a rip off. I think I'm going to hit the Kaimuki camera and purchase Bogen/Manfratto 679B.

Thank you for all the good information~~

Comment

Originally posted by johnkim0011
                        [...]Ritz Camera.. what a rip off.[...]
                        I knew there was a reason I couldn't recall the store's location!

Comment

How useful are the monopod other than the light-weight for those of you have used it compared to the tripod?

Comment

Well, a monopod's primary feature is its portability. The one I use has fold-out legs that can make it a tiny tripod for placement on a table or other surface, but mostly I use it to hand-hold a camera more steadily than I could on my own... but still require only my camera and a pocket rather than a whole camera bag.

You should be able to get one, and other camera supplies, at stores that aren't specialized camera stores, including Longs, Circuit City, Best Buy, maybe even Sears. I, too, would steer clear of Ritz.

Comment

Working...
                            X