The Krispy Kreme Burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Krispy Kreme Burger

Home made or not, that hot dog in the front made me hungry. I should've known from the lettuce in the picture though....most fast food places used that shredded iceburg stuff.

Fear not my fellow HT posters...I, mista Kaipo, will sacrifice my arteries and take on the now infamous "Luther Burger".

I may even go home a get my camera for the event!!!
    "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by kaipo
      Fear not my fellow HT posters...I, mista Kaipo, will sacrifice my arteries and take on the now infamous "Luther Burger".

I may even go home a get my camera for the event!!!
      Please do that. We need picture proof of the debauchery.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        I confess I ate that entire plate) to edit the rest of the photos and explain what happened. I'll do it later ...
        After my angioplasty.
        Voice over loudspeaker: "Paging Dr. Jorge Camara ... Dr. Camara, you're wanted at Hawaii Threads, stat."

So, Sudoku-san, was it all wonderful?
        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I beginning to have serious concerns that we haven't heard from scrivener

Is he ok? or having heartburn?

I guess he's still trying to define the sensation!

Comment

I was so intrigued by this Krispy Kreme business that I just had to give it a try. I mean, for all this discussion we've had, nobody has stepped up and asked, "How hard can it be to make something like this in my own kitchen?" So I asked it, and then one crazy night I picked up the ingredients and gave it a try.

This project was totally inspired not only by manoasurfer's thread, but by Pomai's killer andadogs photo-essay, which if you ask me is the post of the year so far. Props.

First, I assembled most of the ingredients:

Allow me to indulge myself as I discuss my decision-making here.

Of course there are no Krispy Kreme stores on Oahu, and even if I could have gotten a Maui doughnut, I don't know if it would have suited me, being close to a full day old in all probability. So I went to Liliha Bakery, where the glazed doughnuts are delicious, if quite a bit smaller than those at Krispy Kreme. While I was there, I picked up two glazed twists for hot dogs and one blueberry muffin for munching while I cooked.

I'm not a huge fan of yellow mustard, but what else could one use for a project like this? It turned out I just had enough left in the bottle for this one last project. Heinz is the only ketchup I use, at least until I find something not sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. Heinz is thicker than other brands, with a definite brown-sugar or molasses taste I prefer. Behind the ketchup is my pepper-grinder, and behind that my salt-tub. I keep my kosher salt in a big plastic jar that lets me get whole handsful if I want them (as when I boil pasta). And don't forget: Too many paper towels.

The lettuce is a mix of spring greens, one of those packaged salads that cost too much but are almost worth the price for all the time they save. The cheese is freshly-grated Tillamook extra-sharp. I'm no snob when it comes to cheese, but I don't buy grated cheese unless it's a really, really good deal. I've been to the Tillamook factory, by the way, and it was my favorite thing in all of Oregon except skiing.

That's ground sirloin, and those are Oscar Mayer Premium Weiners. I wanted something with a lot of flavor, so although those cheaper hot dogs are just fine with me most of the time, they usually get covered with condiments and sauerkraut. A more flavorful hot dog would let me really taste the dog and doughnuts for a more honest evaluation.

By the way, that green plate is my favorite dining plate now. I love having my main dish and sides right next to each other! A rectangular plate makes SO much more sense! It was just a few bucks at the Marukai store.

(continued, next post)
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              I was so intrigued by this Krispy Kreme business that I just had to give it a try. I mean, for all this discussion we've had, nobody has stepped up and asked, "How hard can it be to make something like this in my own kitchen?" So I asked it, and then one crazy night I picked up the ingredients and gave it a try.

This project was totally inspired not only by manoasurfer's thread, but by Pomai's killer andadogs photo-essay, which if you ask me is the post of the year so far. Props.
              sigh of relief... if it's not a krispy kreme doughnut.... it's not a Krispy kreme burger...

But it sure looks like a good local substitute.... waiting for part II

Comment

Cooking should be an activity, not just something you do so you can eat. That's why I had the blueberry muffin, and of course you gotta have something to take sips from while you're waiting for things to heat up. I picked this reisling up on a trip to Virginia, on my way to Cooperstown for the induction ceremony for George Brett, Nolan Ryan, and Robin Yount, and decided this was as good a time as any to finally pop it open. You're not supposed to let whites age too much, but this was just fine, 'though a little sweeter than semi-dry, if you ask me.

I cut the doughnuts and split the glazed twists. The twists were something of a challenge, as they wanted to unwind on me. These were going to be some messy hot dogs.

I never know what I'm going to throw into my hamburger until I get to that moment. Again, I wanted something flavorful but not overwhelming, so here's salt, pepper, onions, macadamia nut oil (I was out of olive oil), yellow mustard powder, and some dried marjoram.

(continued, next post)
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The doughnuts were small, so I made small, thick patties. Mmmmmm...look at those bits of onion!

Aaaaaand a few minutes later, we have hamburgers!

Yes, I inverted the doughnut halves, since that's what I'd seen on the news report about the Krispy Kreme hamburgers. I don't really think it makes a difference -- this is messy food either way. Okay, the reason I went with two hamburgers and two hot dogs is that I was really skeptical about the mustard and ketchup part of those meals interacting with the glazed doughnuts. I wasn't worried about the meat and doughnut, but man...who puts ketchup and mustard on a glazed pastry? *shudder*

First up: Hamburger with cheese, lettuce, ketchup, and mustard. The verdict: Any hope I might have had of the doughnut and burger blending together to form some great new taste sensation were immediately dashed. This was definitely a hamburger on a doughnut. The hamburger was very good, and the doughnut was very good, but were they good together? They weren't bad! The ketchup and mustard didn't really influence the doughnut, because as I chewed and swallowed, all I could think was that I was eating a hamburger and a doughnut at the same time, so of course this would taste like that.

Next: Hamburger with just cheese and lettuce. It was really about the same as the other burger. Tasty. A nice novelty, but not something I'd go out of my way for again. If I were hungry and I happened upon a kiosk selling these, I'd get one, but I wouldn't rather have had either of these burgers than the same patties on good sesame-seed or sweet-bread buns.

Now, the hot dogs were a different story. The first one, with just ketchup and mustard, was actually quite good! This tasted like more than just a hot dog on a glazed doughnut -- it actually seemed to go well together! I wished I'd put some sauerkraut on it, actually, or some sauteed onions. I might not go out of my way to make another hamburger on a doughnut, but I can certainly see myself making this again!

I don't know if it was just that I was sick of food already or what, but that last one was tough to get down. This was the dog with just cheese. Lemme say that the cheese did not go nicely with the glazed doughnut, and I suppose that's not much of a surprise. This was the worst of the four experiments.

So, what have I got to say for myself? Mostly that I'm going vegetarian for a few days, if not weeks, and there's no really good way to explain this experience other than to say that it was fun, and the only way for anyone else to know what it's like is to try it, because I have a feeling others' impressions would vary a great deal.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'd like to officially nominate scrivs last few posts under the following categories...:

Best Post of the Year:
                    Best Pictures of the Year:
                    and...
                    The post(s) most warranted to give someone heartburn if they read!

Thank you so much for such an excellent run down on your meal... and I must say... you have guts to actually do it yourself...

It's all g... except for the fact that I need the Krispy Kreme Burger!...

Dang scriv!!! you went this all out... I'm amazed you didn't have someone fly one in for you for this occassion

I really appreciate you doing this scrivener....and I hope my tax dollars aren't spent on your hospital bills in the near future

And hey... where was the invite when you started this... ?

Manoa

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
                      I don't like Peeps either
                      sacrilege!

I've heard of something worse then that burger - deep fried twinkies or deep fried mars bars. i cant imagine what it looks like, wouldnt the chocolate melt?
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I feel like sticking my finger down my throat after just reading this thread and seeing the pics! <shudder>

Hellbent: I think if the oil is hot enough, it seals the chocolate in, so even if it melts, it doesn't melt fast enough to "get away from" the rest of the candy bar. The hot oil will "seal" the chocolate onto the bar before it can melt away.

Does that make sense the way I wrote it?

I should go to bed. Long day tomorrow, ugh.

Comment

Folks- I made the trip to Krispy Kreme last night and I am sad to report that there is no Krispy Kreme Burger...at least not at the stores around here. Didn't see it on the menu, and the guy at the register gave me that "whats-this-guy-smoking" look when I asked about it.

I was kinda bummed. Those pictures Scriv posted got me excited to try one!!!
                          "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                            I've heard of something worse then that burger - deep fried twinkies or deep fried mars bars. i cant imagine what it looks like, wouldnt the chocolate melt?
                            They tried this on Food Network's Ham on a Street once after a segment on deep fried ice cream. Basically, it didn't work, nor did it taste very good according to the tasters (I guess all the ingredients aside from the original ice cream just soaked up oil). They tried it on a chocolate candy bar and a fudgesicle among other things, but neither melted. Right away, that is. The crunchy cereal coating didn't stick but kept it from totally melting and dissolving in the oil but several seconds after coming out of the oil, they starting melting.
                            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Great post, Scrivener. How about trying it again, but this time using 2 malasadas instead of the doughnuts?

Comment

This makes me want to make my own Krispy Kreme burger just to try it once. I'm curious now.

GREAT POST, GREAT PICS!
                                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Working...
                                X