X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Energy Drinks

Originally posted by Pomai
    Regarding Lipovitan...
    You took the words (and everything else) right out of my mouth. WORSE than Redbull in taste. IMO

Knowing Scrivener though, he'll probably find something about it he likes.

That energy drink review site recently added a post on SPORTS BEANS by Jelly Belly. This I gotta' try. I LOVE Jelly Belly's! Buttered Popcorn.. yummm.
    I consumed Jelly Belly's Sport Beans while running in last year's Honolulu Marathon. Many runners (including myself), for years, have relied on jelly beans to provide them with a quick bit of energy when running a marathon starts to get tough....in Honolulu, that's usually around the turn-around point in Hawaii Kai. Jelly beans are a good choice of instant carbs because they can be transported in one's running attire without much effort or additional weight, unlike the sport gel packs, which can be awkward to run with in a race if one is not using the special waist belts to carry them around with during a race. Personally, I carry a supply of jelly beans in my Wrist-runner, which is a zippered wallet that wraps around one's wrist. Before Jelly Belly came out with these sports beans in the summer of '05, I used to bring the bubble gum flavored Jelly Bellys to races with me.

About Jelly Belly's Sport Beans: They do not contain caffeine...their main benefit is the delivery of electrolytes and carbs. I imagine they could easily contain caffeine should Jelly Belly ever want to produce a variety with it, ala the sports gels that come with it. The sport beans are also larger than a standard size Jelly Belly...by at least 2 times. They also have a consistancy that is similar to the pectin-based jelly beans one can buy, i.e., more jel-like than a standard, Easter basket jelly bean. These sports beans are not going to fuel a runner through a 26.2 mile race on their own; rather they are meant to give runners who've been using jelly beans in the past a source of quick carbs, not only carbs, but carbs with electrolytes...and in the Honolulu Marathon, with the "Amino Value" sports drink runners get at the water stations, electrolytes are hard to come by during the race. (In my opinion, Amino Value simply doesn't have enough salt or potassium in it)

Jelly Belly Sport Beans sell for about a dollar a bag, but can be often had for less when they are on sale.
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; July 10, 2006, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      I dunno about the Japanese energy drink companies. I mean, these are the people who try to tell you that drinks like "Calpis" and "Pocari Sweat" are actually tasty.
      Japanese are hardcore about their energy drinks. No one else would put caffeine and nicotine in their drinks in mass quantities and cover it all up with a ton of sugar (and give it a funky name).

Can't get the good stuff in the US. I tried. I would love to have a case of Arinamin V. Arny chugs the stuff..........
      Last edited by nachodaddy; July 11, 2006, 04:46 AM. Reason: clarification
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Anyone watch "Pom Poko"? In the movie they explain the popularity of the "energy drinks" in Japan. The bottle looks like lipovitan.
        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

If you can still find Herbal Life products, they were one of the first companies to sell Guarana in tablet form back in the mid 80's. It's called NRG and I lived by it when taking night classes at UH/Manoa while working full time during the day and working 17-hour weekend days/nights. I also sold it by the case making around $2,000 a month in income. The product sold itself as Guarana is a naturally occuring caffeine and not processed as it's found in coffee and soft drinks like Coke and Pepsi so when the caffeine is depleted from the body it's a more gradual release rather than like a bomb. You didn't get the jitters while on it and you didn't get the withdrawls later.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Caffeine in coffee is not processed. I'm pretty sure the caffeine is already in the bean.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              I'm pretty sure the caffeine is already in the bean.
              Hey that rhymes!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Watch out for those energy drinks

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...857834956.html
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Watch out for those energy drinks

If caffeine is the culprit then a bigger warning goes for coffee. The guy had 8 Red Bulls over 5 hours; the caffeine equivalent to approx. 6 cups of coffee (depending on the type) over the same amount of time.

I can't handle 80mg of caffeine in one day. I woulda been a dead dog at 640mg!

Comment

Re: Watch out for those energy drinks

why do morons...uh.. people pull this crap whenever they get hurt doing something they know they shouldn't be doing?

The energy drink can(s) state "do not consume/drink more than 2 per day"
                    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      Speaking of Lipovitan, has anyone tried this? I have a few bottles in my fridge because my mom thought they'd be good for me, but I've never tried them.
                      Yeah! That stuff does work, but whatever you do, DO NOT drink 2 bottles. That stuff is full of Vitamin B, big honkin' dose. Drink only one and you definitely get a kick.

We used to drink this stuff before entering martial arts sparring matches. About 30 minutes before the match, we'd tank the bottle and wait for the rush. If you timed it right, just about when you hit the ring, you'd be super-pumped, able to take on anybody! Rock and Roll!

But if you drank two bottles thinking of multiplied benefits, forget it. Run for the restroom, atomic blast in 3, 2, 1, ... If you were lucky, you would make it to the toilet in time.

What? I'm serious!

(As far as taste, it tasted like liquid vitamins... about what you'd expect.)
                      Last edited by zztype; August 19, 2007, 08:06 PM.
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I've tried Monster and Red Bull and one more that I can't remember. Three strikes and those energy drinks were out for me. I didn't get an energy boost from them and detested the taste of all of them. They all tasted the same too. Blech!

Did anyone else not get an energy boost from these kinds of drinks? I also remember Jolt cola but I didn't go bouncing off walls with that either.

I think iced coffee gives me a more powerful boost than hot coffee since I can drink it more quickly.
                        Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

I avoid caffiene as much as I can, unless I'm on a long trip across a lot of time zones. I wont even drink coffee if I can help it.

I am a fan of Vitamin Water, but I think their energy flavor has an acidic aftertaste. Perform used to be my favorite flavor until they took it off the market (grr); they supposedly changed it to "Charge", which is OK, but I find it a tad too sweet. I have one more unopened bottle of perform, which I've now enshrined, I'll probably end up using it during an important kendo exam or tournament.

Comment

E kala mai, but I usually like to go for the caffene-free stuff. I don't really believe in being hyper. I think it's totally a waste of your energy. You'll eventually get luhi after. I mean, aloha!

'Alika
                            'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                              my hubby and my older daughter love Monster Energy. i just bought a case of it for $24.00 ....way cheaper than what you get at retail!! anyway, i think its gross..if i ever needed a pick me up, it shall be coffee!
                              After trying the standard Monster Energy Drink, I kinda' liked it in a "this tastes like delicious cough syrup" kind of way. lol

So today I tried a can of the Lo-Carb Monster Energy Drink. The sweetener in this version being Glucose. How was it? It was like a "This taste like cough syrup sweetened with Saccharin" experience. More "medicine-nee". It's similar to Red Bull in flavor, but a bigger bang for the buck at $1.99 for a 16 oz. can (pretty big can). I'll stick with the standard version. Did it give me a boost? Kind of. Yeah! Yeah! YEEEAAH!

I also noticed in the store that Mountain Dew (Helen!) has an Energy Drink called MDX.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

This morning I tried a new one named Go Girl Sugar-Free Energy Drink...

It says it's "lightly carbonated", but I didn't think it was any lighter than a typical soda. Actually, speaking of soda, I'm beginning to think labeling it an "Energy Drink" is an excuse for these manufacturers to get away with NOT making a reasonably good-tasting product. This stuff is not good at all, flavor-wise. Again, another variant of "Cough Medicine Soda" is the best way to describe it.

The pinkish-red color of the drink has you thinking it's supposed to be cherry or strawberry flavored, but when it hits your tongue, you feel more like you accidentally drank something from a beaker in a chemistry lab.

I will give a slight thumbs-up for energy boost. I drank it about an hour ago in replacement of tea (my usual morning "joe") and I feel alert and wide awake. I think. lol

This is their claim on the can:
                                "This specially formulated drink is both refreshing and functional. It is a low calorie energy boost with essential vitamins, magnesium and taurine which benefit the body, mind and soul.

This product also contains SUPER CITRIMAX®, a mild herbal appetite suppressant.

No sugar, no guilt.

I'm not hungry, so I guess that last one is working.

It was $1.49 for this 12 oz. can from Marukai.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X