Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Vista

Source

Aiming to re-create the excitement that accompanied the launch of Windows 95, Microsoft is gearing up for a massive campaign to launch Windows Vista.

Chairman Bill Gates has tasked the Windows marketing team with repeating its achievements with the decade-ago launch, such as convincing scores of people to line up at retail stores to purchase the operating system.
    So, MS expects us to snatch up Vista copies like hotcakes?

There's FIVE computers in my house (with one more being built) ranging from low-end internet only specs to capable of playing todays and tomorrow's games at high end. If vista will cost $100 (I wish) then that alone will be $500 for basic editions, not to mention buying a seperate key to upgrade them to the varying editions that others require.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Billy Gates want vista to be like Win95 in terms of sales

Originally posted by doc1456
    Source

So, MS expects us to snatch up Vista copies like hotcakes?

There's FIVE computers in my house (with one more being built) ranging from low-end internet only specs to capable of playing todays and tomorrow's games at high end. If vista will cost $100 (I wish) then that alone will be $500 for basic editions, not to mention buying a seperate key to upgrade them to the varying editions that others require.
    Bill's no dummy. It's called planned obsolescence. Eventually whatever level of OS you run will no longer will be supported by the manufacturer, so when it's kaput you STILL have to go out and spend kala to upgrade. "Spend now or spend later, but spend."
    Squishy isn't counting on the individual consumer for its bread and butter...it's counting on the businesses in this country and other parts of the world to keep it afloat. Squishy is also counting on the licenses it sells to OEM vendors that get loaded onto most CPUs sold at places like Best Buy, not on individual customers who build their own computers. Besides, if you are also running Windows apps (like the Office Suite), Vista might not be backward compatible to certain older releases of Word, etc., which means if you upgrade to Vista, you may also need to upgrade to Office 2006. And each version of Office gets more and more complicated. Now, for certain applications you can use multiple Office products to accomplish the same thing, so it becomes a chore to decide which product to use!

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; March 8, 2006, 03:29 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Bill's no dummy. It's called planned obsolescence. Eventually whatever level of OS you run will no longer will be supported by the manufacturer, so when it's kaput you STILL have to go out and spend kala to upgrade.
      But I still won't upgrade that fast.

With that xbox 360 launch, a lot of people got bad products, so if I will do the upgrades, I'll do everyone's first, and leave my two computers with XP (or even with linux if it'll be that bad).

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
        But I still won't upgrade that fast.

With that xbox 360 launch, a lot of people got bad products, so if I will do the upgrades, I'll do everyone's first, and leave my two computers with XP (or even with linux if it'll be that bad).
        Smart move, Grasshopper! Why anyone would willingly (when they have a choice) buy the first release of anything--even if the product has been through beta and controlled release--amazes me. I stayed on Win98 until my last puter finally went toes up last year. Then I was forced to go with XP because I bought a preconfigured CPU.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

the win95 phenomena will probably never happen again. it was a huge upgrade from the crappy win3.1. even dos was better than that in my opinion.

like you guys were mentioning, the market has been saturated since then and will all of the versions that came after that. its not like people really need a new gui os.

Comment

We won't upgrade to Vista until we're forced to get a new computer again. The only reason we have XP now is because our comp with 98 died, but we're happy with XP. I'm more paranoid about new computer OS than I am about game consoles. But I think Vista's interface is nice...all transparent and junk. Something new for me to gawk at instead of Macs. So I compromised, I put a Vista visual style on my comp without having to worry about whether or not my computer will still work, heh.
            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
              We won't upgrade to Vista until we're forced to get a new computer again. The only reason we have XP now is because our comp with 98 died, but we're happy with XP. I'm more paranoid about new computer OS than I am about game consoles. But I think Vista's interface is nice...all transparent and junk. Something new for me to gawk at instead of Macs. So I compromised, I put a Vista visual style on my comp without having to worry about whether or not my computer will still work, heh.
              Awww...isn't that cute...the ubiquitous Winflag has now evolved into a Winbutterfly!

Miulang

Comment

Actually, it's the MSN butterfly. But I still think it's the cutest thing...especially the colors, I like colors... There's a wallpaper that looks just like that, except it's the Windows Media Player icons...yeah, butterflies = better.
                myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Oopsie! Looks like they've found too many bugs in the Vista release that's now being tested and need to move back the launch date to January 2007 . That doesn't surprise me, nor would it surprise me if the launch date got pushed back even further in announcements this Fall. Squishy has too much riding on this release to want to send out really buggy software as they have in the past.

Miulang

Comment

Bah! First Adopters always get burned... If some sucker wants to go out and buy Vista so that they can find all the bugs for me then good for them. I'll just get it (we'll see about BUYING it) when I decide a year or two later that the system is stable (after being patched and service packed 50 times) and not a bloated security-hole ridden piece of junk like Wins 95,98, ME (ESPECIALLY ME), and of course the most recent monstrosity, XP. I leave out NT and 2000 because in the past and at hopefully in the future MS has used those OSs as a platform for real tech advancements instead of the window dressing crap that MS usually puts on its new OSs. Ever wonder why software companies can get away with selling buggy pieces of sh_t and not get sued for it? Heck if Ford or GM made a car that had to be put in for repairs 50 times RIGHT after you bought it just so that it would go forward and turn left do you think THEY would get sued? Fight for your rights as a consumer! Stop putting up with shoddy beta-testing.

Jewlipino

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino
                      Bah! First Adopters always get burned... If some sucker wants to go out and buy Vista so that they can find all the bugs for me then good for them. I'll just get it (we'll see about BUYING it) when I decide a year or two later that the system is stable (after being patched and service packed 50 times) and not a bloated security-hole ridden piece of junk like Wins 95,98, ME (ESPECIALLY ME), and of course the most recent monstrosity, XP. I leave out NT and 2000 because in the past and at hopefully in the future MS has used those OSs as a platform for real tech advancements instead of the window dressing crap that MS usually puts on its new OSs. Ever wonder why software companies can get away with selling buggy pieces of sh_t and not get sued for it? Heck if Ford or GM made a car that had to be put in for repairs 50 times RIGHT after you bought it just so that it would go forward and turn left do you think THEY would get sued? Fight for your rights as a consumer! Stop putting up with shoddy beta-testing.

Jewlipino
                      I just found out they are staggering the release of Vista: "business" customers will be able to buy licenses beginning in November, while other "consumers" have to wait until January. As far as suing MS because of faulty testing and bad QA, better read that little Agreement you have to click on before you actually load software. Somewhere in that fine print it tells what kind of liability the manufacturer has. It appears that Squishy fully intends to use its business customers as its "Controlled release" test sites. It always is caveat emptor with the first release of anything. I doubt many companies are going to rush out and load their networks with the first release of Vista, though. From what I hear, though, Vista as the OS and the new versions of Office and products like Visio and Project will be even more useful than current versions.

Miulang

Comment

Microsoft may delay Windows Vista again

Microsoft Corp.'s long- awaited release of the upgrade to its flagship Windows operating system will likely be delayed again by at least three months, research group Gartner Inc. said on Tuesday.

The research note, released to clients on Monday, said the new Windows Vista operating system is too complex to be able to meet Microsoft's targeted November release for volume licence customers and January launch for retail consumers.
                        If this is true, then MS better improve it with no bugs.

Comment

Is your computer ready for vista?

Vista Capable
                          * 800MHz Processor
                          * 512MB System RAM
                          * DirectX 9.0 Capable Graphics Card
                          * 40GB HDD, with 15GB free
                          * DVD Drive
                          * Audio and Internet Capablities

Vista-Premium
                          * Capable1 GHz, x86/x64 Processor
                          * 1GB System RAM
                          * DirectX 9.0/Pixel Shader 2.0/32 bits per pixel/64(128, 256 per higher resolution) MB Graphics Card
                          * 40GB HDD, with 15GB free
                          * DVD Drive
                          * Audio and Internet Capablities

So, why aren't I sweating now? Atleast three computers here meets or exceeds those requirements; the rest will just stick to XP (heck, they struggle to run XP)

Comment

I guess this is the official Vista thread.

vista is the biggest software download event.

hmm. This might tempt me to get it.

Comment

Microsoft Vista

I don't know if anyone else got the Windows Vista Public Beta CD before Microsoft canned it because of the high numbers, but man will Vista be a refresher. So far, I've been running it for about 45 minutes and maybe I won't go back to my XP partition. I'll post from my blog about how my experience is, but I was wondering who else is using Vista?

Comment

Working...
                              X