Microsoft Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell opts to offer XP again

In a very smart marketing move, Dell, due to consumer requests, is offering customers of some of its products the option of choosing between Windows XP and Vista for their operating system.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Microsoft Vista

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
      I just finished setting up Vista RC1 on my personal computer I brought to work, and I'm about to cry. I still won't be getting a real copy of vista until the service pack comes out, but the winkey+tab switcher is awesome (I left it on with two videos playing to show people the power of vista) not to mention better user account protection and live view when you hover over the minimized windows on the taskbar.

The only downside I see so far is that people with 3-4 year old computers (like the one I have Vista RC1 on) will be a bit slow.
      Adrian the power of showing two videos isn't necessarily a Vista improvement over XP. It's mainly the fact that your computer needs a minimum of 1-gig to run Vista smoothly plus a damned good video card to boot.

I just got thru loading up Vista for someone and was shocked at how slow the boot up and applications ran. The system had an AMD 64 Athlon running 1.5Gb of ram plus an Nvidia 256mb DDR FX5500 Graphics card! Even after upping the crap HP 230-watt power supply to a Cooler Master 550-watt dual fan PSU the computer still ran like crap.

It wasn't after we upped the RAM to 2Gb of PC3200 DDR400 Buffalo RAM (took out his 1.5Gb of PC2700 crap PNY ram) that the system was able to boot AS FAST as XP.

Like I tell people that ask me if Vista is worth it, once you're into your applications, the WOW factor of Vista is running in the back ground where you will rarely see it or feel it's effects.

Stick to XP. It works.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I just bought a new laptop with Vista installed.

It's okay. I'm not into the real tech-y parts of it so I suppose I'm not seeing the full advantages/disadvantages that others have picked up on.

I HATED the shutdown button feature. Went into "properties" on the start button list and changed it to the "classic" (XP) start menu and now I am much happier.

Doesn't take a helluva lot.

Comment

Even though I repair computers, I've gotten my first taste of the "real vista" on a customer's new laptop (as opposed to the beta version I got and tested in vmware and dualbooted on my desktop). Right at this moment, I'm creating an image of my laptop to backup and upgrade to vista to have atleast some experience to play with vista. If anything, I can hopefully reload my image, or reinstall XP.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Right now, I'm updating Vista and hopefully I'll install my regular apps soon.

As for my thoughts after the long installation... I should have bought the OEM version to prevent myself for installing all of the HP bloatware.

Comment

I bought a Dell Inspiration 1501 laptop online for my mom. But I was smart I had them install Windows XP Home instead of Vista. Apparently that is the only laptop that they still install XP on. I went the XP route because I've used Vista before. It was full of headaches for me. XP is something proven, so I went that route.

I did though upgrade the RAM from 512MB to 1GB, 120GB HD, 8X DVD R/RW drive etc.I believe it also has a 256MB integrated video card and 1.8Ghz AMD processor.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

After a full day of using it, my verdict is... its your call. If your new computer came with Vista installed, go ahead and use it. Sure, its very protective and somewhat different, but face it: its the future. If you have XP and are wondering whether you should upgrade, then I say no unless you like reinstalling and finding new software to run with Vista.

So far, the only applications that aren't vista compatible (aka I didn't install) are Outpost firewall, and LClock (funny, you can't use Longhorn's clock in Vista).

I can't speak for everyone, because I have to learn Vista or else people will look at me stupidly. But if you're a novice computer user who just gotten used to XP, then by all means continue to use XP, as Microsoft will support it for the next couple of years. Plus, I don't think the price for a full Home Premium edition is worth the $240.

Comment

I'll probably buy an OEM version of Vista and load it in one of my desktops as I'm finding out with learning OSX that unless you learn something other than XP chances are you will be left behind as everyone else moves on to Vista or off of Windows and to Mac based computers.

One of the biggest reasons why I broke down and bought this used Mac G4 iBook is that the XP GUI has it's days numbered and the new look of Vista is really an OSX wannabe, so if you gotta learn a new operating system, you may as well start with a MAC and see how Vista mimicks it and then you can appreciate Vista. Basically starting all over again with an Apple GUI and seeing how Microsoft applies it.

Plus it wouldn't hurt to know Apple's OS and Vista as they seem to be the two contenders for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Plus it wouldn't hurt to know Apple's OS and Vista as they seem to be the two contenders for the foreseeable future.
                    Business-wise, I suspect some flavor of Linux would be the non-Microsoft contender for the future.

Comment

I suppose Linux will be another contender. I just got Xandros (Linux) and even when loading onto the hard drive, it takes forever to boot up to the desktop.

I'm trying to be proficient in all three flavors of operating systems.

Comment

Been working with UBUNTU lately, and I have to say, its a very well thought out distro of linux: full featured, and I've loaded it on hardware ranging from P3-800's to P4 3.2's, and so far, its always loaded without crying for updated drivers or anything...easy to use too...

I'm certain that a year or so down the line, VISTA will enjoy the popularity and stability that XP does now...but for the time being, I'm sticking with XP, and messing with OSX as well...
                        jock

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          if you gotta learn a new operating system, you may as well start with a MAC and see how Vista mimicks it and then you can appreciate Vista. Basically starting all over again with an Apple GUI and seeing how Microsoft applies it.
                          Man, I'd love to have a Mac computer to play around with. I'm learning the ins and outs of Vista, and that's great, but a few people came into our shop asking if we can fix Mac-based computers.

Plus, I gotta get my mind out of the gutter on how Macs operate and their compatibility with Windows-based computers.

Comment

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Microsoft-pu...2510&tag=mymsn

Microsoft has stopped automatically distributing a prerequisite piece of software for Vista Service Pack 1, following customer complaints that it had caused system problems.

Servicing stack update KB937287, released last week, contained updates to Windows Vista installation software, and was billed as being "necessary to successfully install and to remove Windows Vista SP1 (Service Pack 1) on all versions of Windows Vista."

Microsoft stopped distributing the update on Wednesday, according to a blog post by Microsoft product manager Nick White.
                            /snip

Comment

Working...
                            X