The Transformers Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transformers Movie

I was at Ward tonight watching another movie which had let out around 10:30 pm. I noticed that was a line just to buy tickets from the box office and there were signs that said that 11:30 pm showing was sold out and they had openings for a midnight show. When I returned home I checked on today's Advertiser and it said the latest show was scheduled for 11pm.

Comment

Caught the 10:15pm showing last night at Koko Marina. Everyone in the long line at the ticket booth were requesting Transformers, so I thought "Oh great, it's gonna' be sold out by the time we get to the window". The house looked to be about 90% capacity. We were lucky enough to have our own 4-seat row to ourselves.

I've never followed the Transformers animation series, so I was a bit concerned to be confused on what was happening, but Optimus Prime's narration overdub of their (rather simple-to-understand) objective (Allspark) kept the progress of the film in check.

The only part that had me in question was when "Sector Seven" came into the picture. I thought perhaps this leading S-7 fed agent had been "hired" by the Decepticons to get those glasses (that had a map etched on it locating the Allspark) from the boy. There was just a "darkness" to his character, but supposedly he really was working for the US government; not the bad guys. Perhaps some of you more familiar with that character can chime in on what the deal was with "Sector Seven". Taking place under Hoover dam was kinda' cool.

If you're into military aviation (like me), this film is buttered all over with it. It looked to be mostly actual flight scenes (with some CGI of course) that included some of our most capable aircraft, including whole fleets of F-22 (one as the evil Starscream) fighter jets, A-10s (scorpion attack scene), CV-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotors (POS), the AC-130 gunship, HH-53 Super Jolly Green Giant helicopters, a predator drone and even Air Force One. Here and there the F-22s had over-exaggerated and fake-looking flight dynamics, ala the Pearl Harbor film, but overall the realism of the (abundant) aerial combat scenes were fantastic.

Speaking of realism, the bots themselves looked absolutely, believably real. Only their facial expressions when they spoke looked a bit "CGI-ish". But the way all the 'bots were integrated into the actual physical space, such as the battle scene over the freeway and in the city was just incredible. I think the CGI artists did well with "dynamic reflective applications" (I made that term up) on their mechanical skin, which kept their texture and appearance consistent with their surroundings.

I only wish the the robots' combat scenes against each other had been "filmed" a bit farther than was often shot. Often it was so up close to them, you couldn't really make out their movements. Their "super robotic speeds" made it that much harder to visually comprehend. Kinda' like watching a martial arts fight on fast-forward with your face right up on the TV screen.

But that was minor. Overall, the cinematography throughout the film was great. Crisp, clear and bright, with good composition and transitions. I'd even go the fence to say it was one the "prettiest" live action sci-fi films I've ever seen.

One of my favorite comedy/cool scenes was when Bumble Bee "Bee-Otch" got pissed when the girl made the derogatory comment about the old camaro, so he drops them off in the tunnel, then comes back in a minute with the "upgrade". Way cool.

I give this film 4-out-5 Spam Musubis. lol

Can't wait for Transformers 2 (guaranz' there will be sequels).
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I give Transformers at 9 out of 10. It was unreal movie. Even my girlfriend, who is a fan of the Transformers cartoon was throughly impressed by the movie. She thought they did a great job in making the Transformers come to life.

From my view,I've seen movies where the CGI looks cartoonish. The movie Stealth comes to mind. But the CGI in Transformers looked real.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          I've never followed the Transformers animation series, so I was a bit concerned to be confused on what was happening, but Optimus Prime's narration overdub of their (rather simple-to-understand) objective (Allspark) kept the progress of the film in check.

The only part that had me in question was when "Sector Seven" came into the picture. I thought perhaps this leading S-7 fed agent had been "hired" by the Decepticons to get those glasses (that had a map etched on it locating the Allspark) from the boy. There was just a "darkness" to his character, but supposedly he really was working for the US government; not the bad guys. Perhaps some of you more familiar with that character can chime in on what the deal was with "Sector Seven". Taking place under Hoover dam was kinda' cool.
          I have seen most of the episodes of the original Transformers TV series and I have seen the movie that was released in 1986, so I kind of rate my knowledge of Transformer lore some where in the middle. That being said the Sector Seven characters were never mentioned in the original TV series. And their reason on being on Earth is way different from the movie.

Also I thought the actor (Michael O'Neill, who used to be the head Secert Service agent in the West Wing) who briefed the Jon Voight character was a Decepticon plant.

It seems in the movie the Sector Seven experience was only Megatron who was frozen solid. They had assumed all robots from space where evil.

Comment

Amazing. Michael Bay is still making movies for chimps on Ritalin. It was thunderous, well-executed and completely hollow.

Movies like this make me crazy because they're so well-made -- the FX and CGI crews are really at the top of their game -- and the acting is earnest and energetic,the stunts eye-popping, and the editing and score and art design are fabulous.

But it's so damn stupid.

"Live Free Or Die Hard" has the same qualities, but it's not nearly the empty sack "Transformers" is.

BTW, if you really MUST see "Transformers," see it at Dole #8.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              But it's so damn stupid.
              You obviously don't like a good popcorn movie ?

That being said, your hating isn't terribly surprising. Transformers target audience isn't directed to the late baby boomer generation. Nor isn't all of Michael Bay's movies.

Like I said,Transformers is the best movie I've ever seen- bar none.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Amazing. Michael Bay is still making movies for chimps on Ritalin. It was thunderous, well-executed and completely hollow.
                No wonder I was craving bananas instead of popcorn when I was watching it!

As far as being hollow, that's really missing the point if you're going to watch this genre of sci-fi expecting plot depth, IMO. Besides, ultimately this IS fiction. Sometimes you have to just play make-pretend and "go for the ride", and enjoy it in that fashion.

It sounds like you did enjoy it, but were expecting more intellectual inspiration from it.

Like a good video game, on occasion a "boom-bam-boom shoot-em-up" can be more spontaneous and fun than an intense, multi-level RPG. Akin to that, Transformers was the former, taken to the highest level in production quality and execution.

There was one man a row in front of us perhaps in his late 60's (looked like he could've been retired military/professional) with his wife (no children with them) that was literally on the edge of his seat throughout the second half of Transformers. He was INTO it.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

as a kid that usually got up early to watch Transformers on the Saturday cartoon line up..i totally loved this movie. it rocked! so if this wasn't the in thing during your generation, then i'd say yeah you'd probably hate it.

Comment

I echo pretty much everything Pomai said in this post.

I never watched the Transformers cartoons since I was already in high school when the first ones came out. All I knew was that they were robots that could turn into ordinary machines. That's it. I didn't even know what Autobots and Decepticons were until a few months ago. So unlike a lot of people who went to see the movie, I'm not a Transformers fan. Not even close, really.

I can see buzz1941's point about the movie being hollow. It was, but not any more hollow than I expected it to be. I went in expecting to see spectacular special effects and amazing action sequences loosely strung together by something of a plot. The movie delivered in spades. I was blown away. I'm not going to scream accolades for it like many of the fans here, but I'd say it was definitely worth the price of admission.

The only thing I really didn't like was the bit with Sam looking for the glasses while the Autobots were hiding outside. It was a bit too goofy for me. In fact, Sam's parents in general were way too corny for me. If they were only as corny as the Sector Seven dude (John Turturro), I would have no complaints. Well, except for the fact that, like Pomai said, the action scenes were too close-up. That's a minor complaint though. I have that issue with a lot of action movies, actually.

Oh yeah, and that trailer just before the movie was intriguing. The one shot on home video cameras at some guy's surprise party. It ends with an unseen monster in the city throwing huge fireballs around. That one looks like it has some potential.

Comment

Interesting stuff. I have yet to see it, and to be honest, when I saw the trailers I was afraid that the Transformers would lose their 'human' side. That's one of the reasons I loved the original Transformers. Optimus was such a hero, putting everyone else before him, including Decepticons at times. And everyone knew a 'Starscream.' I am not going to expect much in the way of plot form a typical summer blockbuster, just want to go and have some fun.

But ... unless Starscream declares himself the new leader of the Decepticons at some point during this movie, it may leave me feeling a little bit hollow.

Comment

I have no doubt that "Transformers" is exactly the movie the filmmakers set out to make -- and is therefore a success -- but a loud, excessive, jolting amusement-park ride really has no goal beyond rattling the riders.

Filmmaking is the primary storytelling and mythology apparatus of our age. We should expect more of it than noise.

"Transformers" is, at the heart of it, stupid. Nothing wrong with liking stupid, mind you, but admiring stupid is something else.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

i thought the movie was awesome (and I went in skeptical), as was Die Extra More Harder 4. Neither films were Children of Men or American Beauty, it wasnt that kind of movie. Sometimes watching a no-brain movie is fun. If you were expecting an epiphany, you should probably watch something else. Sicko was pretty good, if you buy into the conspiracy.

I was just telling someone today that I wished they had cut the eyeglass finding scene and put in more A10/C130 action or more starscream vs the F32's. I could also do with less preachyness and goofiness, if the movie was a bit darker, it mightve gotten a 10/10 from me, IMO.
                          Obviously, as they learned about us from the internet and are 'some kind of advanced japanese robots', steganography scanning in ebay pics shouldnt be beyond them - no plot hole there.
                          They can tell when other Transformers are near, so why wouldnt they know where their leader was at? The question is why they waited 100 years to rescue him or why he went in alone. I suppose he was masked by the dam, but what were they doing before 1935?

I give it 9/10 popcorn kernals. I just hope the sequal does not involve dinobots.

BTW, the unamed jjabrams trailer is 'cloverfield'
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Given the low 'filmmaking as art' expectations of a flashy, noisy blockbuster like this, I have to admit I'm impressed that the reviews have been positive, on balance. Sure, it's still 'rotten' according to Rotten Tomatoes, but 60 percent? There are a lot of 'good films' that fall below that threshhold.

I'm almost curious enough to see this one, especially given how much I loved the toys and cartoon. But I feel like I should save my hype shields for 'Harry Potter' next week. But that's a whole 'nother thread!

Comment

In some ways this movie is an improvement over the original cartoon series, at least in terms for Megatron. I really didn't think the leader of a group battle robots who was big in his robot form would transform down to a pistol, that just didn't make sense. In this movie version he's transform version is a bigger thing.

Comment

"Transformers" is, at the heart of it, stupid. Nothing wrong with liking stupid, mind you, but admiring stupid is something else.
                                I find it surprising that you expected so much from a movie about robots that turn into cars, and even more surprising the you still shelled out money to see this movie....knowing it would be "stupid".

Hey, if it's not your cup of tea, no biggie.....but what were you expecting ?

DD
                                www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Working...
                                X