Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Popcorn

Popcorn with Arare is my favorite.

I try to stay away from the butter (so that it's at least moderately healthy). The downside of course is that any salt/flavor tends not to stick as well. Old Bay seasoning also goes well...

Comment

Some great suggestions and I will take them on board. However, this is Barry the kitchen wrecker, when it comes to popcorn. I have destroyed pans, stoves, ceilings and floors in my attempts to make that stuff.
      Also seen nephews, nieces and other kids with a disappointed look on their faces and I would sooner clean the whole kitchen than to see those looks again.

No! I will go out and buy it but don't forget that England is way behind you guys in the popcorn business.

Comment

Barry, go out and get those poor kids an electic hot air popcorn popper.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

What's the percentage of corn kernels in a microwaveble bag actually pop? You can't time it for longer because the popcorn will turn black or the bag will burn.

Comment

My husband likes to put a box of Junior Mints in with his. He refuses to eat it any other way now.

I hate popcorn. It squeaks. My dad had an air popper and made it EVERY night when I was a kid and I had to clean the damn thing every day. You couldn't put it in water and it was such a pain. But then he switched to microwave popcorn and the house started smelling like a skating rink. And yes- burnt popcorn can clear out a building. I really hate it when people at work burn it, because you're forced it inhale the fumes for the rest of the day.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              I used to love it drenched in butter and salt.

Then I worked a few years in movie theatres, where one of the perks was "all the popcorn and soda you want, for free." That was when I was in high-school, and you can imagine how much I ingested.

So...until about three years ago, even the smell made me ill. Now, I can handle a few handfuls again, but not much.
              haha, I worked in the theaters too but I didn't get sick of popcorn. Love it! I have two styles of poppers at home, a mini popcorn stand (the one with the fake wheels) with the dump bin that you put oil in, and an air popper. The air popper gets used regularly. Liquid butter flavoring and salt for me.

I'll never forget the time at the theater where I was pumping butter flavoring into someone's popcorn and the end of the pump blew off mid pump. I was COVERED in butter flavoring!!

Did your theater use powder flavoring in their popper? Ours did and every time I worked, "regulars" lined up on my register cause i'd put a little extra powder flavoring in whenever I'd make it. I had a blast working at the theater actually. My co-workers jokingly wanted to erect a statue of me wielding a popcorn scooper!

Good Times.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I was just reading this thread and apparently I've already replied to it once!!! LMAO!!
              Last edited by Kungpao; March 3, 2009, 07:17 AM.
              -kp!

Comment

Been using the Ranch flavored Kernel Season's on buttered flavored Orville Redenbacher's microwaved popcorn. Some how it's not a great flavor combonation.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  What's the percentage of corn kernels in a microwaveble bag actually pop?
                  It doesn't matter if you popping it via microwave, over the stove or however the movie theaters do it, you still end up with kernels not being popped.

I don't know the percentage but it seems the 3.3 ounce bags leaves around 20 to 30 kernels not being popped.

Comment

Butter. I would like to try a bit of Bacon Salt on it, see if the combination is as good as some people say.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      I don't know the percentage but it seems the 3.3 ounce bags leaves around 20 to 30 kernels not being popped.
                      I went though a package of Orville Rickenbacker Kettle Corn and noticed it had a lot less unpopped kernels. (I'm more of a Paul Newman Popcorn guy.)

Comment

I have instructions for popping regular popcorn inside a brown lunch bag in the MW. Haven't tried it yet, tho'!

Comment

If/when/rarely do I have popcorn. But if I do it's old fashioned in a kettle
                          with butter but recently I've become fond of truffle oil and salt. This is a
                          winner on french fries too!

Comment

Air popped, with olive oil (E.V.O.O.!) and salt. Occasionally with chili powder.

For a while I was using olive oil and the green tobasco sauce.

Used to use loads of Lowry's seasoning salt when I was a kid, but my taste buds must have been seriously underdeveloped back then.
                            Last edited by beaker; April 10, 2009, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              It doesn't matter if you popping it via microwave, over the stove or however the movie theaters do it, you still end up with kernels not being popped.
                              With my air popper I seldom have more than 5 "old maids" (split, but not fully "popped") in a full bowl, and that's with cheap "Western Family" brand popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                                If/when/rarely do I have popcorn. But if I do it's old fashioned in a kettle
                                with butter but recently I've become fond of truffle oil and salt. This is a
                                winner on french fries too!
                                vain, I'll quote myself.......I bought some popcorn today and I think I'll pop
                                it in my Le Creuset pot with truffle oil. For some reason the cold weather
                                and all this rain just screams popcorn!

Comment

Working...
                                X