7 9.46%
  • No opinion or don't eat popcorn

10 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Popcorn

Default Re: Popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent
    i know im not the only one who sneaks in a bottle of furikake at the movie theatres, ive seen people pouring it on at the condiments area. im too shame, i wait til the movie starts then pour it on
    Heh. Might I ask you, and everyone else, what brand of furikake you prefer for "hurricane" popcorn? I always seem to buy the wrong one. It's tasty, but not exactly what you get from carts and snack shops.

I definitely sneak in arare, stopping at Longs on my way to the box office. (Hey, I'd buy the arare they sell inside if it wasn't one-third as much arare for four times the price!) Why do they have to put arare in such noisy packages, though?

the green label =p
    it says here aji nori furikake.

the prices at the concession stands are high yup, thats supposedly how movie theaters make their money, the money at the door goes to pay for the film. i was thinking the other day that the nachos they sell at dole are an extra rip off. i think it says 'nachos supreme' but its only chips and cheese. and its like $4-5? last night i went to the dollar theater and at least there you can get chili and it comes in container with the cheese and chili on the side. chili smelled funky tho, like cinamon. probably just my nose.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent
    i think it says 'nachos supreme' but its only chips and cheese. and its like $4-5?
    For that price, it ought to be served to you by Diana Ross...

The latest in "Popcorn News": Popcorn Maker to Remove Butter Flavoring Chemical Linked to Lung Ailment

The decision comes a day after a doctor at a leading lung research hospital said in a warning letter to federal regulators that consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn.

ConAgra spokeswoman Stephanie Childs said the company decided to remove the butter flavoring diacetyl from its popcorn because of the risk the chemical presents to workers who handle large quantities.

The chemical diacetyl has been linked to cases of bronchiolitis obliterans, a rare life-threatening disease often called popcorn lung.
    All I know is a badly-burned bag of microwavable popcorn truly smells CAUSTIC enough to cause respiratory problems. Horrors!

Powdered Ranch Dressing packets, salt, curry, celery salt, butter, madras curry, ghee, cumin, chili powder, sugar(or splenda), and plenty more things we have tried, some good, some not too good.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    The latest in "Popcorn News": Popcorn Maker to Remove Butter Flavoring Chemical Linked to Lung Ailment

All I know is a badly-burned bag of microwavable popcorn truly smells CAUSTIC enough to cause respiratory problems. Horrors!
    Just one more thing to add to the list. It's a wonder we haven't wiped out the human race.

Honestly, don't like real [melted] butter poured over my popcorn. It just makes it soggy.

I prefer the salted butter powder used in carnivals in the old days. If they're caustic, I have no problem. Not a smoker to begin with.
    Last edited by Random; September 5th, 2007 at 10:41 PM.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

I remember as a kid, when taking the escalator to the ground floor of Sears in the Ala Moana Shopping center, you could tell when you hit that floor because of the smell of hot buttered popcorn in the red and white striped boxes (later became paper packages).

If I had to choose a poison, popcorn would be it

I love my popcorn either buttered and salted, with mochi crunch (arare), or the hurricane style popcorn.
    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    So how do you like your popcorn? Buttered? Salted? With cheese?
    Yes Please. Hold the ice.

Buttered, Kettle, Caramel, Chocolate Covered, Cheese, Salted.
    -kp!

Actually, I like my popcorn "plain".

I'm not sure as the butter used in the old Sears store is that bad. So far they'd only talked about the microwave type. Given the unique demands to make buttered microwave popcorn work, it's probably something very different.

I wonder if hot air popcorn poppers will make a comeback?

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I wonder if hot air popcorn poppers will make a comeback?
    Used to have one of them until the motor finally gave out.

The Dole and Ward Theaters have been selling Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasoning. They sell it for $1.50 for a .9 ounce plastic shaker and offer the White Cheddar, Nacho Cheddar and Kettle Corn flavors. I tried the first two flavors.

I like buttered popcorn with a little salt and then I like to add in peanut m&m's - yummy!
    I'd rather be ... LOST

Well, I must not eat enough popcorn; I chose butter and salt, then I read the other posts. I love caramel corn, I LOVE real fresh kettle corn, and I also like cheddar cheese toppings. So my vote needs to be "other stuff," I guess.

Found out that the Keeaumoku Wal-Mart sells the Kernel Season's brand of Popcorn Seasoning, it sells for under $3 for a 2.5 ounce bottle and they only offer about 5 or 6 of the 14 flavors.

Also for myself I tried a couple of times of adding Raisinets to the popcorn mix.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Also for myself I tried a couple of times of adding Raisinets to the popcorn mix.
    Hmmm... now there's an idea. Adding dried fruits to popcorn. I don't recall that one done yet (although I'm sure it has).

Raisins, dried cranberries, apples, bananas, or you name it. Perhaps try simply dumping some trail mix on your popcorn. I bet the robust-meets-tart/sweet combo would work really well. Only problem, just like Hurricane Popcorn, the heavier stuff (like the arare, or in this case, dried fruit) quickly sifts to the bottom of the bowl.

oh yeah - i forgot to add that the hubby likes to mix buttered popcorn with the red/green candied popcorn...

so sometimes we have buttered popcorn, red&green candied popcorn, and peanut m&m's all mixed in together...
    I'd rather be ... LOST

Until very recently we haven't been able to buy salted popcorn in this country. I was all sweet. My favourite is butterkist. It's got a lovely buttery, toffee flavour and I often have it for breakfast in a bowl with some raisins and milk. Yummmmmmmmmmmyyy.

Y'all do know that you don't have to buy that expensive, bad-for-you, microwave popcorn, don't you?

All you need is a paper bag and a handful of ordinary, cheap, popcorn. Put the popcorn in the bag, roll up the opening to close it, and stick the bag into the microwave on high for about four minutes, ir until it just about stops popping.

As for me...I remember the Jiffy Pop stuff, the kind that came it its own frying pan, with a spiral of foil on top that puffed up and up and up as the p˘pcorn popped.

"Jiffy Pop, Jiffy Pop, the popcorn treat...as much fun to make as it is to eat"

(sometimes I'll make popcorn the really old-fashioned wa...in a pan. The fun part comes in full pop mode, when I lift the lid and at goes all over the place)

Popcorn with Arare is my favorite.

I try to stay away from the butter (so that it's at least moderately healthy). The downside of course is that any salt/flavor tends not to stick as well. Old Bay seasoning also goes well...

Some great suggestions and I will take them on board. However, this is Barry the kitchen wrecker, when it comes to popcorn. I have destroyed pans, stoves, ceilings and floors in my attempts to make that stuff.
    Also seen nephews, nieces and other kids with a disappointed look on their faces and I would sooner clean the whole kitchen than to see those looks again.

No! I will go out and buy it but don't forget that England is way behind you guys in the popcorn business.

Barry, go out and get those poor kids an electic hot air popcorn popper.

What's the percentage of corn kernels in a microwaveble bag actually pop? You can't time it for longer because the popcorn will turn black or the bag will burn.

My husband likes to put a box of Junior Mints in with his. He refuses to eat it any other way now.

I hate popcorn. It squeaks. My dad had an air popper and made it EVERY night when I was a kid and I had to clean the damn thing every day. You couldn't put it in water and it was such a pain. But then he switched to microwave popcorn and the house started smelling like a skating rink. And yes- burnt popcorn can clear out a building. I really hate it when people at work burn it, because you're forced it inhale the fumes for the rest of the day.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast