7 9.46%
  • No opinion or don't eat popcorn

10 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Popcorn

Default Re: Popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I used to love it drenched in butter and salt.

Then I worked a few years in movie theatres, where one of the perks was "all the popcorn and soda you want, for free." That was when I was in high-school, and you can imagine how much I ingested.

So...until about three years ago, even the smell made me ill. Now, I can handle a few handfuls again, but not much.
    haha, I worked in the theaters too but I didn't get sick of popcorn. Love it! I have two styles of poppers at home, a mini popcorn stand (the one with the fake wheels) with the dump bin that you put oil in, and an air popper. The air popper gets used regularly. Liquid butter flavoring and salt for me.

I'll never forget the time at the theater where I was pumping butter flavoring into someone's popcorn and the end of the pump blew off mid pump. I was COVERED in butter flavoring!!

Did your theater use powder flavoring in their popper? Ours did and every time I worked, "regulars" lined up on my register cause i'd put a little extra powder flavoring in whenever I'd make it. I had a blast working at the theater actually. My co-workers jokingly wanted to erect a statue of me wielding a popcorn scooper!

Good Times.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I was just reading this thread and apparently I've already replied to it once!!! LMAO!!
    Last edited by Kungpao; March 3rd, 2009 at 08:17 AM.
    -kp!

Been using the Ranch flavored Kernel Season's on buttered flavored Orville Redenbacher's microwaved popcorn. Some how it's not a great flavor combonation.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    What's the percentage of corn kernels in a microwaveble bag actually pop?
    It doesn't matter if you popping it via microwave, over the stove or however the movie theaters do it, you still end up with kernels not being popped.

I don't know the percentage but it seems the 3.3 ounce bags leaves around 20 to 30 kernels not being popped.

Butter. I would like to try a bit of Bacon Salt on it, see if the combination is as good as some people say.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    I don't know the percentage but it seems the 3.3 ounce bags leaves around 20 to 30 kernels not being popped.
    I went though a package of Orville Rickenbacker Kettle Corn and noticed it had a lot less unpopped kernels. (I'm more of a Paul Newman Popcorn guy.)

I have instructions for popping regular popcorn inside a brown lunch bag in the MW. Haven't tried it yet, tho'!

If/when/rarely do I have popcorn. But if I do it's old fashioned in a kettle
    with butter but recently I've become fond of truffle oil and salt. This is a
    winner on french fries too!

Air popped, with olive oil (E.V.O.O.!) and salt. Occasionally with chili powder.

For a while I was using olive oil and the green tobasco sauce.

Used to use loads of Lowry's seasoning salt when I was a kid, but my taste buds must have been seriously underdeveloped back then.
    Last edited by beaker; April 10th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.

It doesn't matter if you popping it via microwave, over the stove or however the movie theaters do it, you still end up with kernels not being popped.
    With my air popper I seldom have more than 5 "old maids" (split, but not fully "popped") in a full bowl, and that's with cheap "Western Family" brand popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    If/when/rarely do I have popcorn. But if I do it's old fashioned in a kettle
    with butter but recently I've become fond of truffle oil and salt. This is a
    winner on french fries too!
    vain, I'll quote myself.......I bought some popcorn today and I think I'll pop
    it in my Le Creuset pot with truffle oil. For some reason the cold weather
    and all this rain just screams popcorn!

I just did a bag of Pop Secret in the microwave - it's good, most of it pops and I like the butter taste. I guess this is my favorite micro popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I have instructions for popping regular popcorn inside a brown lunch bag in the MW. Haven't tried it yet, tho'!
    I just saw your posting. Back in the 70's when I was told we could pop corn in the micro, we decided to try the paper bag method. We had a small fire and never tried that again!

Using the Orville Redenbacher 1.5 ounce bag seems to give the least amount of unpop kernals in my microwave. It normally has around 6 to 10 kernals unpoped.

Shoot I might as well do a bag now.

Popcorn inspiration comes at any time - go for it!

Some paper sacks are made of products that are unsafe to heat in a microwave. And, some paper sacks can catch fire in a microwave. This includes both grocery sacks, and small lunch size sacks.
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/...fety/index.asp
    According to the USDA, it is NOT safe to use brown paper bags in the microwave.

If you are the type to microwave your food in any random plastic container, then you might be comfortable using a paper sack. But for those of us worry warts who only use glass or microwave-approved containers, then paper sacks are "out".
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I just saw your posting. Back in the 70's when I was told we could pop corn in the micro, we decided to try the paper bag method. We had a small fire and never tried that again!
    That's certainly a good enough incentive for me not to try it!

Lightbulb Re: Popcorn

Oops, I voted for the wrong thing. I meant to vote for butter. Guess I just skewed the poll results!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    Oops, I voted for the wrong thing. I meant to vote for butter.
    At least that's not hana butta'.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I went though a package of Orville Rickenbacker Kettle Corn
    I know I tried a box of that type. I didn't realize that the Kettle Corn had a sweet flavor to it.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatt...o-eat-instead/

Not really worse tasting, but more calories.

I don't mind butterless popcorn, as long as it has salt.

A coworker of mine brought this for us to try...

It's Pineapple Kettle Korn by Hawaii Popcorn Company, the same folks who make 'Hawaiian Hurricane Popcorn'.

Sounds interesting on paper (and probably will do well in sales from tourists), but in flavor there's barely any hint of Pineapple. All it tasted like was a mildly-sweetened popcorn in an artificial fruity kinda' way. The box says it's sugar-free, therefore it uses Sucralose as the sweetener, which surely contributed to that artificial flavor. They should have used cane sugar.

On the good side, the entire bag of microwaveable popcorn kernels popped, with not much "blanks" left, and the popcorn was fairly crunchy, not spongy.

Nice try with the "Pineapple" flavoring, but next.
    Last edited by Pomai; January 1st, 2010 at 03:10 PM.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

I know I tried a box of that type. I didn't realize that the Kettle Corn had a sweet flavor to it.
    Whatever you do don't let the Kettle Corn variety burn in your microwave oven. I've had regular microwave popcorn burn but WW when I burned the Kettle Corn the smoke was so thick it still lingers in our home (after a month and a half). I think it was the sugar. I usually throw in a bag for four minutes. The Kettle Corn bag says 2-minutes max! Oops!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Been noticing latey that for the small bags of microwave popcorn there were a lot of unpoped kernals. Found out that the glass plate wasn't rotating when popping. Fixed that problem and just made a bag of popcorn that had a few unpoped kernals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123