Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Popcorn

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    The latest in "Popcorn News": Popcorn Maker to Remove Butter Flavoring Chemical Linked to Lung Ailment

All I know is a badly-burned bag of microwavable popcorn truly smells CAUSTIC enough to cause respiratory problems. Horrors!
    Just one more thing to add to the list. It's a wonder we haven't wiped out the human race.

Comment

Honestly, don't like real [melted] butter poured over my popcorn. It just makes it soggy.

I prefer the salted butter powder used in carnivals in the old days. If they're caustic, I have no problem. Not a smoker to begin with.
      Last edited by Random; September 5, 2007, 10:41 PM.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I remember as a kid, when taking the escalator to the ground floor of Sears in the Ala Moana Shopping center, you could tell when you hit that floor because of the smell of hot buttered popcorn in the red and white striped boxes (later became paper packages).

If I had to choose a poison, popcorn would be it
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I love my popcorn either buttered and salted, with mochi crunch (arare), or the hurricane style popcorn.
          Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            So how do you like your popcorn? Buttered? Salted? With cheese?
            Yes Please. Hold the ice.

Buttered, Kettle, Caramel, Chocolate Covered, Cheese, Salted.
            -kp!

Comment

Actually, I like my popcorn "plain".

I'm not sure as the butter used in the old Sears store is that bad. So far they'd only talked about the microwave type. Given the unique demands to make buttered microwave popcorn work, it's probably something very different.

I wonder if hot air popcorn poppers will make a comeback?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                I wonder if hot air popcorn poppers will make a comeback?
                Used to have one of them until the motor finally gave out.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The Dole and Ward Theaters have been selling Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasoning. They sell it for $1.50 for a .9 ounce plastic shaker and offer the White Cheddar, Nacho Cheddar and Kettle Corn flavors. I tried the first two flavors.

Comment

I like buttered popcorn with a little salt and then I like to add in peanut m&m's - yummy!
                    I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Well, I must not eat enough popcorn; I chose butter and salt, then I read the other posts. I love caramel corn, I LOVE real fresh kettle corn, and I also like cheddar cheese toppings. So my vote needs to be "other stuff," I guess.

Comment

Found out that the Keeaumoku Wal-Mart sells the Kernel Season's brand of Popcorn Seasoning, it sells for under $3 for a 2.5 ounce bottle and they only offer about 5 or 6 of the 14 flavors.

Also for myself I tried a couple of times of adding Raisinets to the popcorn mix.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          Also for myself I tried a couple of times of adding Raisinets to the popcorn mix.
                          Hmmm... now there's an idea. Adding dried fruits to popcorn. I don't recall that one done yet (although I'm sure it has).

Raisins, dried cranberries, apples, bananas, or you name it. Perhaps try simply dumping some trail mix on your popcorn. I bet the robust-meets-tart/sweet combo would work really well. Only problem, just like Hurricane Popcorn, the heavier stuff (like the arare, or in this case, dried fruit) quickly sifts to the bottom of the bowl.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

oh yeah - i forgot to add that the hubby likes to mix buttered popcorn with the red/green candied popcorn...

so sometimes we have buttered popcorn, red&green candied popcorn, and peanut m&m's all mixed in together...
                            I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Until very recently we haven't been able to buy salted popcorn in this country. I was all sweet. My favourite is butterkist. It's got a lovely buttery, toffee flavour and I often have it for breakfast in a bowl with some raisins and milk. Yummmmmmmmmmmyyy.

Comment

Y'all do know that you don't have to buy that expensive, bad-for-you, microwave popcorn, don't you?

All you need is a paper bag and a handful of ordinary, cheap, popcorn. Put the popcorn in the bag, roll up the opening to close it, and stick the bag into the microwave on high for about four minutes, ir until it just about stops popping.

As for me...I remember the Jiffy Pop stuff, the kind that came it its own frying pan, with a spiral of foil on top that puffed up and up and up as the pôpcorn popped.

"Jiffy Pop, Jiffy Pop, the popcorn treat...as much fun to make as it is to eat"

(sometimes I'll make popcorn the really old-fashioned wa...in a pan. The fun part comes in full pop mode, when I lift the lid and at goes all over the place)
                                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X