Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big fat self-valentine for the Advertiser

Originally posted by buzz1941
    If I'm not mistaken, Ragnar is the scion of legendary local public-relations genius Doug Carlson.
    I've taken shots at the Weekly too (and been shot at in return, and in print, not in a chat group!) but the publication does do good work on occasion. Most of us just wish it was more often and more consistant.
    Thanks for the kind word about my dad, who would be pleased and surprised to hear that he's a "genius" (although he'd want to be remembered as a former 'Tiser and KGMB guy, too.) I gotta believe it's a kinder description than the one he received in the late 80s, when Bob Jones referred to him as a "phlegmatic factotum." He has a lot of respect for you too, for whatever it's worth.

The Weekly could be better, sure. But so could the Advertiser and the Bulletin, and they are much more important to the life of the community. More than anything, I'd like to see those papers held to a higher standard, both here and in the community at large.

Comment

Anyone who can get on the radio and rattle on about the heroism of HECO employees out in the storm restoring power (whilst ignoring HECO's poor pole maintenance record) is absolutely a public-relations genius. You have to admire such brazen and heartfelt spin!

But standards are standards. I worked for weeklies too, and put the same professionalism and drive into my work there. To lower standards just because they're weekly and low-circulation and free is sort of Special-Olympicising their product. (Support Laurie's Kids!)
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Middleman
        I think MidWeek and the S-B are doing well enough that the excellent staff shouldn't have to put up with the "voluntary" pay cuts anymore. It's ridiculous the staff doesn't have a new contract yet. If MidWeek and S-B can afford to bring in those high-priced managers, then they should pay market-value salaries to outstanding journalists like Burl and Richard Walker. Pay Burl! Pay Walker!
        I for one, thank you for this support and expression of frustration on our behalf. I can't speak about the contract talks because I'm not involved; and I can't talk about executive salaries or Mr. Black's acquisition in Akron because I'm not privvy to those sorts of things ... but as an employee, I thank you.

And regarding this post:
        "I don't know anybody who has "my paper is better than yours" debates."
        I gather you're talking about readers having such an imagined debate.
        As an employee of the "new" Star-Bulletin ... a journalist ... and a consumer of news, I'm just thankful that Honolulu is one of relatively few American cities that have two dailies to compare!

Ooops. Was that too boosterish?
        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Frankly, citizens should be reading both papers. And MidWeek and the Weekly too. And voting as an informed electorate!
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by ragnar
            A quicky aside to Leo: thanks for so ably proving my point re: trolls.
            Christ, you try to be nice to a guy, extend a handshake, and he shits in your palm. So much for trying to be respectful, Ragnar. You may now commence the process of biting me.

Comment

Working...
            X