How many believe in true love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many believe in true love?

wow, what a bump...and oddly enough, at a time where that is a thing I have been questioning...

My girl of 7 years and I have separated since leaving Hawai'i...actually, very recently. I have been too busy/preoccupied at work for it to really have set in, but this weekend, with NOTHING to do(it is cold and miserable), got me thinking about this very topic...

I have never believed in love at first sight, or that the planets align to put someone in your path, but the ability to love...TRULY love, I think is when you ultimately put your partner in front of yourself... when you love someone more then yourself.

By my own definition, I have had true love, but am having trouble remembering how we got there...I have loved Carrie through and through, and how can we just walk away from such an investment? how can I walk away from someone I can not go a day without thinking about? Am I being selfish? Have we tried EVERYTHING to make it work?...In my mind, I have had true love FOR her, but no longer have it WITH her, and therein is the difference...but still, I love her...

A lot of good advice in this thread, and a few laughs along the way, thanks HT.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Some love is gold,

Some love is rust,

but the purest form of love :-

Is Lust.

Comment

True love does exist.
        I met my husband in High School and it didn't take us long to realize we were in love. We married March of last year - best (and easiest) decision of my life. I'm the happiest woman on earth!

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
          we met my freshman year at berkeley
          WTF ?!...........and you are now a Trojuns fan?! Give me a friggin' break! Gooooooooo Bears.

everyone around us was set against it.

unfortunately december 07 - ended that true love
          Maybe those around you were right?

do i believe in true love now? pffft
          Hang in there SP, it will happen again if you are wiser for the experience and avoid cynicism and resentment.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Enamorada View Post
            True love does exist.
            I met my husband in High School and it didn't take us long to realize we were in love. We married March of last year - best (and easiest) decision of my life. I'm the happiest woman on earth!
            I agree wiith you E and you and I have been fortunate to find it. Many don't. My wife and I attended the same high school and started dating when we were Seniors (in high school that is ) After getting our higher education out of the way, we married. After 42+ years it is still as passionate as ever........lust as nothing to do with it! We're going to have 50th celebration in Waikiki in June 2016 if all the gods and godesses permit and everyone from HT will be invited!

I wish you a long and happy marriage E and I hope everyone finds the true love of their life.
            Last edited by matapule; December 14, 2008, 06:28 AM.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

No Such Thing... enough said.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                My girl of 7 years and I have separated since leaving Hawai'i...actually, very recently.

By my own definition, I have had true love, but am having trouble remembering how we got there...I have loved Carrie through and through, and how can we just walk away from such an investment? how can I walk away from someone I can not go a day without thinking about? Am I being selfish? Have we tried EVERYTHING to make it work?...In my mind, I have had true love FOR her, but no longer have it WITH her, and therein is the difference...but still, I love her...
                Wow. Brother, I have tears in my eyes reading this, for I knew this situation very well, years ago when my second marriage ended. It was one of the most devastating times in my life, and took me about five to seven years to really get past it.

A wise counselor I knew, may she rest in peace, told me that it can take as long as the relationship itself to get over it when it ends, so be prepared to go through some very hard days (and years) ahead. Don't fight it - you're entitled to sink to the depths, considering how deeply important your relationship was.

But hang on to the knowledge that you WILL get through it, you WILL have brighter days ahead, the pain WILL lessen, you WILL be a stronger man. And you will know it when the day comes that you are moving forward, rather than looking backward.

Perhaps it's time to think about getting back to the Islands that call to you? Maybe that's where the ingredients for your healing can be found...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Wow. Brother, I have tears in my eyes reading this, for I knew this situation very well, years ago when my second marriage ended. It was one of the most devastating times in my life, and took me about five to seven years to really get past it.

A wise counselor I knew, may she rest in peace, told me that it can take as long as the relationship itself to get over it when it ends, so be prepared to go through some very hard days (and years) ahead. Don't fight it - you're entitled to sink to the depths, considering how deeply important your relationship was.

But hang on to the knowledge that you WILL get through it, you WILL have brighter days ahead, the pain WILL lessen, you WILL be a stronger man. And you will know it when the day comes that you are moving forward, rather than looking backward.

Perhaps it's time to think about getting back to the Islands that call to you? Maybe that's where the ingredients for your healing can be found...
                  Tattrat,

The advice given above rings true. Think about getting back to the islands ? Whoever said, "Time heals," did not know what they were talking about.

You Never stop loving someone, you just learn to live without them.

Comment

Yes, I believe.
                    I've been in a 'blissful/give it all' kind of love 3 times in my life.
                    Though unfortunately it never was truly returned. Oh well.
                    I'll stop here.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      I agree wiith you E and you and I have been fortunate to find it. Many don't. My wife and I attended the same high school and started dating when we were Seniors (in high school that is ) After getting our higher education out of the way, we married. After 42+ years it is still as passionate as ever........lust as nothing to do with it! We're going to have 50th celebration in Waikiki in June 2016 if all the gods and godesses permit and everyone from HT will be invited!

I wish you a long and happy marriage E and I hope everyone finds the true love of their life.
                      Thank you matapule! ^_^ I also hope everyone gets a chance to know this feeling.

Comment

Gee, no quotes from The Princess Bride?

And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva...

Comment

I've seen it on rare occassions with others, so it can happen, and when I was in my pre-jaded youth it came close a coupla times. But there's no way I'd approach that kind of emotional Russian roulette again.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

How many will admit that true love is self love? What did Stuart Smalley say?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              How many will admit that true love is self love?
                              I'm not sure where you are going with this.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                                I'm not sure where you are going with this.
                                As T.O would say, "I love me for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X