Bringing Pets to Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scared to death!

[QUOTE=manoasurfer123]It's a lot easier to "hide" a cat in a rental then to have 3 barking dogs!
    [QUOTE]

Um, depends on the cat. One of our cats is a SCREAMER (I believe he's part Siamese). You can hear him down the street, even with all the doors and windows closed. Even with anti-depressants (to help him with a different problem), he's still LOUD, though it's not as constant. I tried to have one of my friends look after my two cats at her apartment in town when I was on call and unable to drive to my boyfriend's house on the Windward side to look in on them. I had to take the cats all the way back to the Windward side that night after a couple of hours of trying to get them to calm down at my friend's place--my friend was afraid one of her neighbors would call the cops on her. The cat sounded like a screaming baby, and he was getting the other cat all upset! They were both THROWING themselves violently against windows and digging beneath the front door the whole time, trying to find a way out of my friend's apartment. They wouldn't allow themselves to be distracted by toys or foods or petting. It was a disaster.
    Last edited by AbsolutChaos; July 14, 2006, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      I think you will get more response from prospective landlords if you don't mention the cat... at least at first.
      This sounds like spectacularly bad advice. Even if you actually spill the beans before picking up the keys, you can expect some pretty choice words. And if not?

In this market, landlords have all the advantage and power. Sure, lots of folks live with pets "under the radar," but getting busted is getting busted, and a landlord probably won't hesitate to dump a tenant over a pet. Even if you get that elusive second chance, the pet's going to have to go, pronto.

Either way, someone new to the islands probably won't have much of a safety net for themselves or their pets if things go badly.

Do it right, or don't do it at all. It would seem ridiculous to go through all the trouble of clearing quarantine only to try and fudge it on housing. You can find a place... just prepared to hunt, and pay a premium.

Comment

Re: Bringing Pets to Hawaii

Fran-

I ask questions because I do want answers. But, I am also a problem solver...so I ask questions to get answers so I can figure out a way to solve them. Basically, I am trying to prepare myself as much as possible.

I understand that Hawaii is an island with finite space. My family comes from even smaller islands in the Carribean (Grenada), and have the same issues with wealthy Europeans and Americans buying the land and using up resources while the people that have lived there for centuries struggle to put food on the table and keep a roof over their head.

I am a teacher and am coming to Hawaii to teach. From what I hear from the Hawaii public school systems from people living in Hawaii and the mainland, Hawaii is in desperate need of good teachers. Unfortuntley, like anywhere else in American, the pay is low and makes living difficult. However, with a roomate, rent will not be higher than what I am currently paying where I live. But...the dog thing is an issue for me. I have no kids, and refuse to give up my dogs because I can't find a place to accomodate them. But, I think that I should be e-mailing the Hawaii Department of Education. You would think with their extreme teacher shortage, they have to be doing something to aid mainlanders in finding housing...

Comment

Originally posted by alexjp
          I am a teacher and am coming to Hawaii to teach. From what I hear from the Hawaii public school systems from people living in Hawaii and the mainland, Hawaii is in desperate need of good teachers. Unfortuntley, like anywhere else in American, the pay is low and makes living difficult. However, with a roomate, rent will not be higher than what I am currently paying where I live. But...the dog thing is an issue for me. I have no kids, and refuse to give up my dogs because I can't find a place to accomodate them. But, I think that I should be e-mailing the Hawaii Department of Education. You would think with their extreme teacher shortage, they have to be doing something to aid mainlanders in finding housing...
          The DOE is desperate...

However, not desperate enough to find housing for someone with a Dog!

A teacher is important... however your not going to be able to pull the "I'll teach if you can provide me adequate housing for me and MY DOG"

Interesting Article about some Cottages the DOE has acquired and the fact that teachers didn't like the conditions of those... in the paper a few days ago...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...607110335.html

"A survey of state-owned teachers cottages shows the facilities are in such disrepair that it's more difficult to recruit and retain teachers for those areas, according to state education officials."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            [...]In this market, landlords have all the advantage and power. Sure, lots of folks live with pets "under the radar," but getting busted is getting busted, and a landlord probably won't hesitate to dump a tenant over a pet.[..]
            I personally know someone who had that experience.

Comment

Interesting article. I passed on having children...and got my dogs to fulfill my maternal instinct while I get myself stable enough to bring children into this world. But if I knew I would be moving to Hawaii, maybe I should have gone the kids route. Seems like it would be easier to move with them than my three dogs.

Well... one good thing. I don't plan on dropping in and trying to find a place with my three dogs. If I can't secure something ahead of time, I won't be making the move. Maybe, just maybe, I will get lucky.

Comment

Alex, check your private message folder here on HT, as I just sent you a lead...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

my in laws just moved here about 2 mos ago. they had to acquire a rental while in search of their home. the only reason they got an apt was that i asked my realtor for help. they had to pay 1800 mo for a 1 br /1 bath 1 parking. when normally that would have gone at 1500-1600. it was very hard for them to secure an apt that would accept pets and they have a toy poodle! i have had rottweilers and decided to purchase our own property so we dont have to deal with the hassles of landlords and such.

Comment

Hmm... I've seen lots of craigslist ads for rentals that accept pets.

Cheers,
                    -Brian*

Comment

Unemployment rate and apartments for pets.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      Sure,there is a very low unemployment rate - but not many jobs (uh, probably because most folks are working hence the low Unempl. rate).
                      One reason we have a low unemployment rate is because of how it's calculated:

"The unemployment rate measures the percentage of employable people in a country's workforce who are over the age of 16 and who have either lost their jobs or have unsuccessfully sought jobs in the last month and are still actively seeking work."

Many people in Hawai`i have been out of work for more than a month and their unemployment benefits have run out. Unless they are actively looking for work through the State system, I believe they don't get counted. So many people here have been out of work and homeless for so long, they drop off the radar. Consequently, there are rentals, and rentals that accept pets; you just have to have enough money.

K (sorry this is so late, I missed it in 2006!)
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

yeah - my unemployment info is quite out of date now. and the unemployment rate is almost 2 times as high as it was in 2006
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by buraian-kun View Post
                          Hmm... I've seen lots of craigslist ads for rentals that accept pets.

Cheers,
                          -Brian*

The question is, are they affordable, and are they in a location you want to be in? Last time I moved, back when I still had my rat, I had a hard time finding a place because I wanted to be close to my job and on the bus line. I eventually ended up in a pet-free apartment under a don't-ask-don't-tell agreement with my landlord, but there was always the fear that at any time he might change his mind and I'd have to rehome either myself or the rat.
                          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Re: Pets!!!

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            The Hawaiian Humane Society keeps an updated listing of pet-friendly properties. Click here to go to that page, and good luck to you!
                            Just an update, for anyone interested. The HHS appears to have moved that page. Try this: http://hawaiianhumane.org/petsinhousing

Cheers,
                            -Brian*

Comment

So I found this blog: move2hawaii.blogspot.com. Thought it might be useful for people considering a move to Hawaii with pets. Also, it's pretty hard to stumble upon. I tried all kinds of google search term combinations with no luck. Anyway, good information, though I wish there was more of it. Sounds like they're having too much fun living in Hawaii to put much time into maintaining the blog! ;-)

Here are a few more good sites:
                              http://www.bringfido.com/destination/state/hawaii/

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/animals.htm

This one provides specific reports of airline incidents involving pets, organized by reporting airport:
                              http://www.petflight.com/pet-incidents
                              Actually makes me feel better about bringing the dog, since most of the pets who died in flight had pre-existing health conditions, and some of the losses could have been prevented by the pets' owners.

Here's a video from Continental Airlines--basically an advertisement, but at least they cared enough to make it:
                              http://petrelocation.blogspot.com/20...afe-video.html

And here's the Dog Travel Company:
                              http://www.dogtravelcompany.com/
                              Their website appears to have not been updated in quite a while, and my e-mails have gone unanswered, but if they ever get their act together, this might be a good option for some people.

Cheers,
                              -Brian*

Comment

Even when things SEEM to be going OK, bringing pets on a flight can be problematic, especially when the workers screw up. Here a cat (Ashton) is lost for 11 days at the Honolulu airport because a worker did not set their priorities (live animals should come first before other tasks). Plus, United cannot even keep its story straight about the cage door. (Which, of course is the airline's responsiblity to keep shut.)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/h...u_Airport.html

After they picked up their son's baby stroller near the airport baggage area, Murphy's wife waved to Ashton, who was inside a dog carrier in the truck bed. He was to be transported to the animal quarantine, 400 to 600 yards from the United terminal. When the Murphys arrived at the quarantine, they were told he never arrived.
                                A United official told them the driver went into the baggage area while Ashton was in the truck to do another task before heading to the quarantine. When he returned, he noticed the cage was closed and locked, but Ashton was missing. There were conflicting reports on whether the carrier was open or closed. Tammy Mori, spokeswoman of the Department of Transportation, said a United official told her the carrier was open when Ashton was discovered missing.
                                Our dog went "missing" on an interisland flight, but thankfully showed up after about 6 hours. There never was an explanation given by the airline as to where the poor thing had been.
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X