A State Better than Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A State Better than Hawaii

Keeping this on track, I HEAR that a lot of people from Hawaii move to Las Vegas.

I can't confirm it though..... It can't be for the water. Lake Mead is nice but it ain't no Pacific Ocean.
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
      I would leave to relocate to Hawaii if:

1. I thought I could earn a decent living from one job.

2. I didn't have to drive an hour or more every day to get to and from work.

3. I really believed my kids wouldn't suffer too much at the hands of the local keikis.

No place appeals to me other than Hawaii. I already find the SoCal winters too cold for my taste. I've wanted to live in Hawaii for going on 20 years. I decide to stay in Cali one year at a time.
      You know I'm from O'ahu and I have the same 3 reasons. After college is FINALLY over, reason number 1 may not be an issue for me anymore. Reason number two is always a scary thought but maybe unavoidable if I want to move back home. And reason number 3, even though I myself am part Hawaiian and 100% local kine, my keiki are half haole and do look it so I'm back and forth on how they would be received by local keiki. I think I will take the leap and move though, I just hope it's the right decision for my whole ohana, not just me.

Best of luck on whatever happens with your future!
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
        It's really tough to leave SoCal especially if you're born and raised here. Most of the annoyances I am used to and the benefits are quickly missed.
        I was raised in Laguna Beach as was my dad. Kamaaina Laguna, I think!!! As beautiful as that little village was and is, it was definitely not tough for me to leave it for Hawaii. Any other place, yes, but not Hawaii! I tried moving back to Laguna about 15 years ago. I didn't last long!

Comment

One state I can think of is a Positive State of Mind.

Comment

I wouldnt say better, but definitly a close second is Alaska. I know most people thinks its a complete opposite, but I lived there for 4 years and loved it the whole time. Its very similar in many aspects, the only difference is the weather. The people are great, and proud to be from there. Most people hear Alaska and laugh at the concept of living there, however most people have absolutly no clue what the state is about except for stereotypes. On the other hand, ask anyone who has spent any amount of time up there and you will hear a completely different story. I seriously have yet to meet someone who has lived/visted up there and wouldnt want to stay. Just my .02.

Comment

I have lived in Ca an Hawaii and now I have moved to MO.... I gotta say... I think Mo is Great! I live within 15 mins of 4 lakes and 20 mins from a major metro city. the cost of living is Awesome and the lifestyle is fairly laidback like in Hawaii. ppl are friendly and the schools are some of the better in the nation. so as far as raising a family I gotta say while I LOVE Hawaii there is no way in hell I would raise my kids there unless I was independently extremely wealthy that I could afford private school and tutors and have the kind of house I now live in.
              Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

The dry heat of Arizona or the humid heat of Hawai'?

HUMID HEAT ALL THE WAY, BABY! At least the humidity was good on the skin and hair. This dry heat and hard water dries the skin and kills my hair.

Hawaii has more things I love than the mainland. The mainland's strong points are cheaper cost of living (housing, grocceries, fuel) and a better job market. Once I establish myself financially, I plan to move home. Sooner, rather than later. Preferably on Oahu, with a place back home on Kauai.
                Last edited by Manö'iki; August 4, 2006, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Every state has their own education issues. I live in Oregon and it is OK but not great the great thing is the homeschooling resources here! I use them and whether I stay in Oregon or move to Hawaii my kids will be homeschooled all the way!
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Hey, blueyecicle! Got some more Oregonians on here. My wife's been studying the homeschooling stuff quite a bit. We have no kids right now but it'll become an issue for us sooner or later.

Comment

ok, Admins have just declared;

"issue" is now an illegal word here on HT!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        ok, Admins have just declared;
                        "issue" is now an illegal word here on HT!
                        ISSUE sure 'bout that? How about when we are inquiring as to tutusue's whereabouts? "Is Sue posting anything today?"

Comment

Been doing it for 6 years. Hopefully Hawaii will have resources like Oregon. Oregon has classes for homeschooled children and easy testing! Plus they don't monitor you 24/7 like some states. My kids are way ahead! I am sure when or if we move we will just continue to homeschool either way! Then no worries!
                          Maybe one day I can meet up with my soul in Hawaii again!

Comment

^ Where in Hawai'i you originally from?
                            "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                            "But I can't even read good."
                            "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                            "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

I don't think I am considered "from" there I was born at the base in Oahu. I hardly remember. I don't want to step on anyone's toes! We moved alot after I was 3. I have been back a few times and feel a gravitation to the island. Such beauty and grace there. Maybe one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040
                                I've lived in California, Wisconsin, Oregon, Ohio and Illinois prior to moving here.

Of those, I'd live in Oregon or Northern California again. Of those two, Oregon takes the cake.

Oregon is absolutely gorgeous. I lived in Salem, which is 45 minutes south of Portland, but if I were to move back, I'd live in Portland or Eugene - Salem is a town for old people . Anyway...It's an hour from the snow and an hour from the beach. Lots of skiing (Mt Hood/Mt Bachelor), lots of hiking, camping, hunting, the beach normally is pretty chilly, but it has its quirks. There's green mountains, there's lots of sandy desert. (If you're an outdoor recreationist, the Northwest is your playground). Lots of quality beer and wines. People are pretty nice but can be totally crazy. The shopping available in malls/towns is pretty nice and if you can't find it there, you will find it in Seattle. It's about 3 hours from Seattle, 5 hours from Canada, 5 minutes from Washington Course there's the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, which is quite a drive, but worth it. OOooh and Oktoberfest in Mt Angel. The rain isn't as bad as it sounds, though the snow was a bit harsh the year I left (towns in the Willamette Valley arent really prepared for snow...maybe they are now, who knows). Ooooh and how could I forget? DUNGENOUS CRAB! It's everywhere. I love watching people fish for crab off the beach.

And Speaking of car registration - I paid $68 for two years for a truck ($213 here for 1 year). That's not a bad perk either
                                Oregon! Cold and rainy!

Comment

Working...
                                X