Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A State Better than Hawaii

props to Jeff Too!!

I live on the mainland and would live in hawaii if I was very rich so I could buy up papakolea Anyways, I think everywhere has there advantages. Totally depends on your outlook. It will be positive if your outlook is positive. I live in Utah, which is ok. Not too bad a place to live.
    I usually follow the crowd .... except, when they're going the WRONG WAY!

Comment

Some fresh trivia: A survey out yesterday from Harris shows that, if people could live in any state besides their current one, most would pick California, Hawaii, and Florida. (Hawaii was third last year, second this year.) When the question shifted to cities, Honolulu came in sixth, ahead of Denver and Atlanta but behind Las Vegas.

Comment

Probably not really qualified to make judgement on this thread, because I am a Cunuck. . . BUT, I have visited many US states, and been to Hawai'i many times. I guess, if I could "not" live in Hawai'i, and had to choose another state, to live in, it would be Alaska hands down. Although both states, (Hawai'i and Alaska) are so different, they have so much in common.
        Both have lots of coast line, and both states are removed from mainland USA. I find that people of both states are quite similar, ie) friendly, very individualistic, and are enriched with culture of Native peoples who were the original inhabitants. After living in the high Arctic of Canada, for many years, I miss the slightly crazy non conformist people of the north.
        Hawai'i IS paradise, no doubt about it, but Alaska has such untouched beauty, and again. . .the "people", have Aloha, just like Hawai'i people.

Just my opinion,

Claudia

Comment

Apparently Californication appeals to a great many Americans.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
            Apparently Californication appeals to a great many Americans.
            ...just not KIMO :-)

Funny how California came in as top state, and NEW YORK as top city. I wonder how many people polled have ever lived in New York City...
            I bet the stats would be different if they had.

I know the reality of living in Hawaii is way different than just visiting there, but if not California, it would be Hawaii for me. SoCal has some of the best weather for ME, as I'm not big into humidity.
            That being said, in the "have my cake and eating it too" poll, I would choose living in both places, bouncing back and forth between them.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
              ...just not KIMO :-)

Funny how California came in as top state, and NEW YORK as top city. I wonder how many people polled have ever lived in New York City...
              I bet the stats would be different if they had.

I know the reality of living in Hawaii is way different than just visiting there, but if not California, it would be Hawaii for me. SoCal has some of the best weather for ME, as I'm not big into humidity.
              That being said, in the "have my cake and eating it too" poll, I would choose living in both places, bouncing back and forth between them.
              I wonder how many people said Hawaii having never been there or having visited only once for a few days?
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

That's what I do. However, I spend slightly more time in Hawai'i than I do in California.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                  That's what I do. However, I spend slightly more time in Hawai'i than I do in California.
                  Sounds good to me...how does that work out for you? Is your work portable ? (home/computer based) or is it you're financially set, so you don't have to work ?
                  Also, how long does it take to shift gears when you change from one place to the other? Do you own or rent in either place, and what about cars?

...if these questions are too nosy, feel free to plead the 5th...I''m just curious as I have a long term plan to do this myself, and I'm interested in how to make it work.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Sounds good to me...how does that work out for you? Is your work portable ? (home/computer based) or is it you're financially set, so you don't have to work ?
                    Also, how long does it take to shift gears when you change from one place to the other? Do you own or rent in either place, and what about cars?

...if these questions are too nosy, feel free to plead the 5th...I''m just curious as I have a long term plan to do this myself, and I'm interested in how to make it work.
                    Thanks to a few notable ancestors I was financially set at birth, so I don't have to worry about working for a living. In terms of "shifting gears" from one place to another, it usually takes me a few days to adjust to the time difference as well as overall different pace of life. I own several properties in Hawai'i and California and I have a couple of vehicles at each place.

Overall, living in both Hawai'i and California has its benefits and drawbacks. The primary benefit is that I seldom have to deal with inclement weather. The main drawback is that it's somewhat difficult to be fully involved with any particular community. Elections, jury duty, community association meetings, ho'olaule'as, etc. in at least one place are often missed, unless I make special efforts to be present.

In terms of making it work, it requires a fair amount of capital, since it involves maintaining multiple residences (in addition to somewhat frequent travel). Although my 'ohana has balanced living in both Hawai'i and California for a few generations, most of us are starting to spend more time in Hawai'i than anyplace else.

Cheers,

Jonah K
                    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Yep. More coastline on Alaska than, I've heard, most or all other states put together. Thanks to the Aleutians, they can also say the extend further West than Hawaii does. Not that trivia like this (like the 'tallest mountain if you measure from the bottom of the ocean!' thing) amounts to much when determining a "better" state... except, I guess, on the grounds of "better trivia questions"!

Ok...ya got me curious....

Here's the official coastline stats:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001801.html

Alaska has the most with 5,580 miles of coast

I had to look up Michigan separately...it has:

"...and some 3,000 mi (4,800 km) of shoreline...."

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/us/A0859619.html

Folks surf in the lakes too:

http://www.vdpllc.com/surf_mi.htm

Comment

A State Better than Hawaii?

ummm...hmmm...lemme think....nope ~ sorry can't think of any.
                        sigpic

Comment

Aloha...
                          Well St Thomas U.S.V.I. is not a state but it is an American territory and it is very beautiful. At 13 miles x 3 miles it is the same size as Manhattan but with far less people and no snow! The sailing is the best. 12-15 steady easterly trade winds, safe waters, hundreds of anchorages between the US and British Virgin Islands, and clear water. The temperature is 75-85 all year long 24/7.
                          It is day 2 for me now here on Oahu and it is looking great so far.
                          Chinatown is next and hopefully a sailboat ride!
                          Aloha
                          Awake...
                          'you are what you think about', all day long...you are
                          blessed be

Comment

It's a territory not a state, but has anyone spent any time in American Samoa? I always wondered what it was like.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by kumukulanui
                              It's a territory not a state, but has anyone spent any time in American Samoa? I always wondered what it was like.

Peter
                              Yea, I've been to Amer. Samoa ~ HuBby's from there...lemme say its like Kahalu'u and Waianae in one, but there's only Big Samoans & little Koreans running the liquor store.<not trying to offend anyone>

My HubBy's G-Pa, owns like choke land, the airport PPG and a golf course sits on the lower portion of it ~ then there's the familys area, I thought it was pretty cool ~ 10 houses to the left and 10 houses to the right of my Mother-in-laws house was owned by all of G-Pa's children(13) + all the G-Children so choke houses, but any way the bestest part was in the middle off all the homes ~ there's a liquor store!! LOL, he leased it to a Korean couple , long time ago,

My HubBy said when they were kids, they would try to steal candy, when the owner told G-Pa ~ They got dirty lickens...LOL..anyways when my HuBY took me to visit, he introduced my to the liquor store own & she started talking Samoan to me..I was triping out. Then I said I'm not samoan & she said,"oh, so you speak english" I felt like a complete foolio!
                              But any who I could go on foa days, its a beautiful place.
                              sigpic

Comment

Personally my opinion is that every state and or/country has so much to offer. Different cultures, food, people, enviroment, ect. Its what suits you and your needs at a time in your life. I think when your young you should spread your wings and experience different places and culture.
                                Aloha comes from the heart say it, share it and spread it!

Comment

Working...
                                X